You CAN loose everything in property

my comments were directed to the strange situation in Perth where a WA govt representative just stated that anyone building in a canal development or marina is foolish (I must dig the actual quote out tonight) which contrasts against the recently approved Coogee Marina and various other such pending developments. You could almost wonder if there is a case for liability... is it not unlike continuing to mine asbestos after you know it is lethal?

Hi,

We'll I'm scratching my head trying to work out the difference between invading one country like Iraq on hypothetical "weapons of mass destruction" - ie things that "could" cause suffering to thousands of lives, and not intervene with another country, like Zimbabwe where there is actual suffering to thousands of lives?

I guess there's no oil in Zimbabwe?

Michael G

New Orleans real estate has no value ... just like Brisbane river frontage properties had no value after the 1974 floods. ...and where is it today !!

The whole bang lot is insured. Forget the news crap. The human side is always sad but economically this "disaster" will be a mini-boom for the USA.

LL

Zimbabwe and a hidden genocide

Hi guys,

I was born in Zimbabwe and lived there my whole life until 3 years ago, my father was the second biggest potato grower in the country after only having worked for himself since 1991.

I was looking at google earth the other day and it was interesting to see the sheer scale and professionalism of the agriculture that used to exist as the photos are 4-5 years old. It will be interesting to see the difference when they update them!

You are right, it is because they have no oil but they do have chromium and vanadium which is used in military hardware but obviously that is not in short enough supply.

It is amazing how clever and ruthless Mugabe is. With his recent bulldozings it is estimated that he put about a million people out on the streets in the middle of winter in a country with an AIDS incidence rate of about 40%. Most of them happen to have voted against him, but T.B. will sort them out for him! All that and they also happen to be undernourished now that the agricultural industry has been destroyed.

It is sad that the world is standing by and that the whole situation benefits no-one, contrary to his claims. It would also be nice if the neighbouring African countries would grow a backbone!

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Guys

How many of you have been to Port Adelaide? Next time you are there look at the bases of the old buildings and you will see tops of windows popping out.

When they first built there they didn't count on king tides (?? I think this is the name, where you get a extremely high tide due to a full moon, and in certain circumstances it gets higher eg a storm) and they found that the whole area would flood.

How did they fix this? Land fill, so the windows you see at the base of the buildings aren't basement windows there the old ground floor windows. If you are ever in Port Adelaide visit the maritime museum and you will get to see inside one of these buildings. Apparently some of the buildings still have the horse stables below.

Now you have got me thinking, I live close by, I wonder how close to sea level my house is? what will happen when global warming takes more of an effect? :eek:
Seriously how do you find out this info?

Cheers
Pablo

landlubber said:
New Orleans real estate has no value ... just like Brisbane river frontage properties had no value after the 1974 floods. ...and where is it today !!

The whole bang lot is insured. Forget the news crap. The human side is always sad but economically this "disaster" will be a mini-boom for the USA.

LL
You miss the point entirely by comparing NO with Brisbane river-front. Todays Australian said NO will be abandoned but I couldn't see if they meant permanantly or just for the six months it will be uninhabitable.

If you think about insurance, you basicly insure the building, not land value, and insurance co's don't like risk so I imagine much would been uninsured for this event. And the human side is a disaster.

I am shocked at the anti-American bias shown in the few Australian chat rooms I visit. Not 1% of the posts that there were after the tsunami and zero sympathy in spite of the big losers, the poor blacks who gave NO it's character, being as vulnerable as any on the Indian Ocean rim. I believe that the fact that it was always going to be the poor who suffered (the rich could drive their SUVs out of the city) explains the pathetic efforts by the Gov, before and after the event. The Gov was reluctant to pay to get them out and will certainly never pay to repatriate them. A rebuilt NO will have no soul ergo no tourists no reason to exist. The blues will live, but in Houston where the folk from the Superdome are being taken (to the Astrodome LOL). I doubt they will rebuild it but this won't be said for a few months yet, but you read it here first.

I will donate to Red Cross (I will find and post a link to American RC). I hope some of you feel compassion as well.

Cyclone Vance - Exmouth

Firstly insurance. If my houses blow flat my insuarnce payouts will cover the mortgages on all 3 places. Would end up with 3 vacant blocks which would put me in the money. Great outcome just as long as no one gets hurt or loses other things they value.

Exmouth has been hit b4 and will be again. No doubt about that but property values are soaring. Whilst they might decline next the place gets slapped by a cyclone they will bounce back.

Kamak said:
Would end up with 3 vacant blocks which would put me in the money
because they will still be dry blocks of land. NO is under 20ft of water and will remain so for at least six mths, probably forever. Ocean bed land does not sell as well as ocean front land.

some of the responses are interesting - Germany pretty much said you get what you deserve. I dont see them closing down the BMW and Merc factories and riding bicycles. This whole event and more particularly the human reaction is very very depressing. stories of local rape and murder and who knows what shows we really haven't evolved far from the primates.

Ausprop said:
some of the responses are interesting - Germany pretty much said you get what you deserve. I dont see them closing down the BMW and Merc factories and riding bicycles. This whole event and more particularly the human reaction is very very depressing. stories of local rape and murder and who knows what shows we really haven't evolved far from the primates.

Spot on Ausprop

See Change

RichardC said:
because they will still be dry blocks of land. NO is under 20ft of water and will remain so for at least six mths, probably forever. Ocean bed land does not sell as well as ocean front land.
also got to remember that, after six months under sea water, nothing will grow in the soil even if they do drain it.

lizzie

lizzie said:
also got to remember that, after six months under sea water, nothing will grow in the soil even if they do drain it.

lizzie
Lizzie, it will be under fresh, but highly poluted, water now (the levees to the lake were the ones to break) but can you begin to imagine what you would need do to a century old building after that time underwater?

Without it's old buildings and old folk (and their jazz), NO has no reason to exist. Let the sea have it back.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

an interesting blog.

From what I've gathered he works for a web hosting/domain registration-type company who power a tonne of sites (www.somethingawful.com is one of them), and he's a part of 5 people who decided to ride the storm out partly in order to keep the business (and those thousands of websites relying on it) running. They're in a 15-or-so-story downtown NO building, and the NOPD are a couple of storeys above them, I think. They're keeping online with a diesel generator, and just got a fuel drop today, apparently. Also, they say they have plenty of food.

He only really started posting publically in his LJ about a week ago. (Sounds like he had some friends-only posts.) If you wanna read it chronologically, go to
http://www.livejournal.com/users/in...tor/2005/08/27/
and keep clicking 'next day' 'til you're up to date.

He also has a webcam
http://old.mises.org:88/NO2
either pointed at him & his mates, or onto the streets capturing looting, police, etc.

RichardC said:
Without it's old buildings and old folk (and their jazz), NO has no reason to exist. Let the sea have it back.
I heard one report, unreliable, that the French Quarter was above the water level.

Tourism? Maybe it will improve some things, in the same way that Ground Zero has become a tourist mecca.

Obviously the disaster has become a lot more huge than we realised at the start of the thread.

But I thought that this cartoon (from www.cagle.com but sent by email) summarised well some of what is happening.

21Katrina.JPG

landlubber said:

LL

Hi All

The homes may be insured but who insures the Infrastructure? The Gov.

There will be a strong and logical arguement that all those roads, sewerage pump stations, electricity plants, telephone circuits rooms, schools, hospitals, comunity centres, simply will cost too much to rebuild.

Will the US have the money? Will they want to spend it?

No infrastructure = No value.

I do not think it will be rebuilt.

Regards, Peter 147

geoffw said:
I heard one report, unreliable, that the French Quarter was above the water level.

Tourism? Maybe it will improve some things, in the same way that Ground Zero has become a tourist mecca.

Doubt that. Ground Zero has a spiritual link because many of us saw the deaths live on TV. In one small area almost 3000 lives were ended. To same way people visit Nazi Concentration Camps, we visit to somehow understadn this event, to "feel" it.

The Tsunami in Indonesia was freak, no warning, no chance. There was nothing anyone could do. However they did not revert to lawlessness, rape and murder?

I think our response to NO is different because we knew it was coming. 3 days notice to get out. Some chose to stay. In taking that choice they take responsibility for their lot. The same way (IMHO) anyone who stands and fights a bushfire in shorts with a garden hose. When they get trapped should other risk their lives to saves them?

Sadly, some were too poor to leave. That is the real tragedy. That USA underestimated mother nature and human nature. When food and water is scarce, the law of the Gun prevails. The reported raping is appalling. It shows the USA is a very fractured and angry society. I expect profiteering to come out in a few months as well.

Perhaps the US will now get serious about Global Warming? But I doubt if they will care about “poor blacks.”

It is very shocking. More so that 9/11 and Tsunami. I am going to search the Blog.

Very sadly, Peter 147

Thanks geoffw for the interesting article.

After the tsunami, someone on radio commented on the large waves that had hit Bondi back in 1938.
I did some research & found the following: It appears that on 6 February 1938, known as 'Black Sunday', three large waves swept out to sea 250-300 people;all but 5 were rescued by 80 lifesavers.

Perhaps this latest disaster isn't as far from us as we might hope. I'm not suggesting it would be of a similar magnitude as America's but it is perhaps time for the 'powers that be' to take some action regarding Bondi so that we don't have a tragedy here.

I'm sorry I'm not computer literate enough to cut & paste the article. However an article appears on the abc website.
blossomoz

Back