You have got to be kidding?

I just had a landscaper come out to give me a quote for getting an sandstone retaining wall done and 28m2 of turf! Final quote $9632.70! Is he kidding himself? I know sandstone is expensive but it's a small wall. 28m2 of turf was quoted alone for $1640.00?

I think he saw a young blonde female in high heals business attire rock up in an Golf GTI and thought she's my perfect target.

I think he saw a young blonde female in high heals business attire rock up in an Golf GTI and thought she's my perfect target.

yep she must be loaded :)

How small is that small wall of yours?
I was quoted $3K for 15M x 0.5M in treated pine

LOL ausprop! I just can't stop laughing! The quote is beyond a joke! I will be finishing off the renovations myself after a quote like that!

He's got a lot of work on. Doesn't care whether he gets your job or not. If he does, great. If he doesn't, no biggie.

Have you only had one quote? Get a couple more and let us know how they come up.

I just had a landscaper come out to give me a quote for getting an sandstone retaining wall done and 28m2 of turf! Final quote $9632.70! Is he kidding himself? I know sandstone is expensive but it's a small wall. 28m2 of turf was quoted alone for $1640.00?

Landscaping is expensive. I did all ours myself, including building a retaining wall 24m x 1m from large interlocking bricks.

All you really need for landscaping is labour - the other stuff is cheap and easy.

He's got a lot of work on. Doesn't care whether he gets your job or not. If he does, great. If he doesn't, no biggie.
A common view shared by MOST tradies not just landscapers it seems! :(

Have you only had one quote? Get a couple more and let us know how they come up.
And if they actually turn up!!!! :eek:

I sat around waiting for (not one) but 4 separate landscapers over the last few weeks! What really p*ss*s me off is not the overinflated prices, is the no shows!!! Nearly every single one I've call says "yeah yeah no problem, I'll be there" only to find myself standing around (regardless of my attire) for hours without so much as a "sorry I can't make it...my dog got run over, had to rush him to the vet", "next door neighbour sneezed and I had to rush over a tissue" ANY BL**DY excuse here people.....!!! :mad:

It is a bit ridiculous what some try and charge
I just demolished and replaced the front and back deck + stairs of my house, I did have 3 quotes ranging from between $10,000 and $17,000 to do it.
I got a mate to give me an occasional hand and in a fairly easy week interspersed with beer drinking we had it done for a touch under $4000 in material.

My other quote came in last night at 6k. At least that's 4k cheaper. I won't be getting anymore quotes. I will be doing the work myself.

good idea... this sort of thing is a great way to value add. you can't DIY electrics but you should try do what you can yourself

Yea i agree. Their was an huge garden bed their which i jack hammered up myself and removed it all. It just made the house look enclosed and small. Since removing it, it's opened up the whole front area and it's made the house look so much bigger. Just got to finish it off myself now too.

My other quote came in last night at 6k. At least that's 4k cheaper. I won't be getting anymore quotes. I will be doing the work myself.

Ok..I'll bite...being a Landscaper and all..;)

You say 10mtr wall...but how high and what materials you want to use...?
Also, what variety of turf did you ask for...? Kikuyu, Couch or Sir Walter...?

As someone said earlier...we have red tape to cut thru, super to pay, workcover, vehicles to run, taxes to pay, tools to do the job with....It's not all rosy rosy....and I bet you don't do the job properly in the end and it becomes a problem once again.

You get what you pay for and that is why you should have taken the second quote at 4k less...sounds cheap to me...:rolleyes:

That's why I think we need more competition here in Australia. Customers begging for someone to come over and do a quote, whereas in other countries companies come to you whenever you're available and having a much better service.

Got a quote for an antenna installation the other day. quote was for $XXX. Told the guy yes straight away without "wasting" mine and his time. He'll said he give me a call. Never heard from him again. Unreal.

Found an old gentleman that would do it for 50 dollars cheaper.. :)

Also, what variety of turf did you ask for...?

'Grass'

Nikolina:

01%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

Back