Young investor starting out

Yes agreed, it's all back to set goals. Hence, can we say that "buy in north shore & avoid west Sydney" was based on your experience and it shouldn't serve as a general advice ?

Yes based on my experience and yes not general as my advice was in relation to what we have on the original poster and his/her question: goals, location , income, family, age, etc...

If he/she said, I live in West SYD. Same age, work locally, expect to stay, family here, then some good investments are there.

In the end: All area are good and all are bad subject to your needs.

You can only plan ahead say 10 years but planning matters. I find people don't plan enough.

The simplest example is to say to someone with three kids, yes units are affordable but probably not suitable for lifestyle. I know this may sound like the obvious but the obvious works. BUt if newly wed and not planning kids for 10 years, get a unit and work hard.

Even those with money don't plan enough.

Where I live many people desire the big acreage mini farm, it provides space, room for kids to run, land for animals, etc...

Then they realise it takes a lot of work. That Teenage Kids want to go into town or need to be delivered to school. Animals mean no holidays. Lawn needs mowing. Hello Snakes!

Investment wise they have great investment in PPOR maybe 50%LVR so are wealthy but big mortgage to boot so no spare money to invest. All assets in one place. Lose job, lose house. No flexibility.

Often they may justify, well the kids wanted horses etc.. But that is not necessary if you plan and do the numbers,

A friend next door on 1/4 acre is horse crazy. She has bid 4WD, two floats, 12's of saddles, three full size and two ponies, one we share and she uses agistment for all of them. In the ponies case we don't pay for the land as it keeps the grass down. We considered buying land but does not stack up. Much cheaper to agist. And when my Daughter is 20 and she moves to Melbourne for Uni, no need for ponies, what I do with land?

We and Her don't need land to have lifestyle of being horse mad.

Planning is very important.

Regards Peter 14.7

Once again, thank you all that have contributed for your valuable input.

The reason why I want to invest in property is to supplement my income so that in years to come when marriage and children follow I am financially comfortable and would be able to live a comfortable lifestyle and provide for my family without having to constantly stress about money issues.
I have a plan set out however as other members have mentioned there will be variables such as marriage and children that may effect this which may cause me to re-strategize.

Firstly I’d like to have two I.P’s by the age of 25-26.

From there on, by the age of 30 I’d like to have 5 I.P’s in my portfolio.

This is a short term 3-8 year goal that I would like to achieve. Once this is achieved, I will reassess and plan for the next 5-10 years.

I definitely feel that the Northern Beaches is the safest option for my first I.P not only because I live there, but also I’m a Police Officer working within that Local Area Command therefore I’m very educated on Crime Trends and Hotspots within the Northern Beaches which gives me the added advantage of knowing what suburbs and streets to steer clear of.

Having said that though, this needs to be an informed decision so I will consciously be ensuring that I do not become narrow minded in only looking at the Northern Beaches. If my research finds that there are other suburbs then I will be looking at them as well.

In the mean time I have been attending a lot of open homes and speaking to agents on the beaches and I have observed that many of the properties 750k and under are selling very quickly.

Your welcome, so now we have the above we know:

Very secure income but slow advancement.
Jobs all hours and demanding so little time to renovate.
Can move around with advancement so location not critical
Plan to is to gain property for income.
Not to live in.

So, some good buy exist in West Syd like Guildford. CF+ or near about and affordable at $300k. Please consider and use your Police contacts to suss out the real crime issues versus media beat up.

And on that note, I sign off for today.

Peter

Back