Your instrument of choice..... musical that is!

I somehow lost my CS-3 pedal :(

The Y-man

Seriously, go for a holiday to the US and buy your gear there, it is WAY cheaper. My effects pedals all came from the US (through my last two holidays) and I paid about a third of what we pay in Aus for the same gear.

If you want a really nice instrument (eg Jem7V), it is cheaper to fly to LA, buy it and fly home that pick it up here!

Yep, sadly thats correct VY. I watched my Fathers music store (which was great by the way) go down the tube these past 3 or so years because of online shopping and the GFC.

Luckily he was able to retire without worry but others could have been in strife. Actually considering recent discussion of the word 'lucky' discussed here recently it was more like 'hard work' he was able to retire through, but anyway.

Theres an awesome store I found on Ebay called The Stratosphere, where you can buy direct from the states Fender loaded bodies and necks for half the price you will buy them for here. Even cheaper than what we at the music store were buying them for! And especially now with our dollar buying about $1.02 US dollars.. I actually recently received 30x sets of Fender super 250 strings because they have now stopped winding their own strings and handed over to D'addario and changed the packaging while they were at it because of tarnish/rust issues. Thing is, the new strings are totally different to what the Super-250 have been for the past 40 years.. And sound nothing like the old ones. So I managed to buy up the last available stocks and am still keeping an eye out for others that might come on-to the market. Don't know what I'm going to do once these ones run out but can cross that bridge when it comes :) And by the way, I bought them for $4.50 per set.. plus a tiny bit of postage. About 1/3 of the cost of RRP$ here

The largest is a bouzouki.
The other are smaller versions of the bouzouki, each with their own name (tzoura the mid sized one & baglama the ukele sized one).

The little one is a nice old instrument, so it's got the almost antique factor about it, but i an ornament now with it's sunken lid, very cheap The mid sized one I just bought, another old one made by a master no longer with us, this is a gem of an instrument, if only I could become 1/3 the player that it is an instrument.. The big one is a cheapie, but a goodie.

Thanks for sharing , i like the style of anything that resembles a guitar including the bouzouki :)

Well, yes.

Currently have an early 1970s Yanigasawa Baritone Sax (de-lacquered and rebuilt) with a Berg Larsen plastic and a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece. very different sounds from these. Also move between a 2 Vandoren Java reed and a 3 depending on music styles. Dirty funk needs much looser sound. I did try some Selmers but the Yani is just an epic sound.

Also have a Selmer MkVII tenor and a Conn alto from the early 50s. I don't play them as much.

Mess around with the bass a bit as well, but sax is where it is at.

Since apartment bound at the moment I don't practice or play as much, but looking at getting back into it.

Thanks for sharing , i like the style of anything that resembles a guitar including the bouzouki :)

I wonder if anyone owns a pipa :)

The Y-man

Attachments

• pipa_1_big.jpg
    pipa_1_big.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 42
I have a 27 yr old custom guitar - Maton Messiah - which I have been ignoring the past couple of years. Used to play semi pro solo and duo's. Dabbled with a band once when I had a Fender Elite Strat and crisp music man valve amp ( Dire Straits days!)

Sang in a choir run by my singing teacher and entertained for charity including old folks homes which was very rewarding.

Wrote quite a few songs and went into recording studio once to put a single down.

My dad played banjo in a skiffle band many years ago - something you rarely come across these days!

I come from a family of self taught muso's (or at least people who appreciated music). On my mothers side, her mother played piano (didn't read music-just banged it out), an uncle played accordian, another played bones (or spoons when there wasn't any bones about), and another played harmonica. My father also plays harmonica. Us kids played combs with silver paper on them and another thing I can't think of the name of that you blow and it makes a buzzing sort of noise. I thought it was bazooka but the pictures I've looked at aren't it. I also remember jews harps, wobble boards and washboards being played as well as knives etc being used as drumsticks on anything that made a noise. We used to have right old knees ups when we all got together. We've got some good singing voices amongst us and some have sang in choirs. I wish I could play piano really well though.

...another thing I can't think of the name of that you blow and it makes a buzzing sort of noise. I thought it was bazooka but the pictures I've looked at aren't it. .

No... a bazooka is what you blow tanks up with - try a "kazoo" :D

The Y-man

No... a bazooka is what you blow tanks up with - try a "kazoo" :D

The Y-man

Kazoo. That's it! :p I even went through a Wikipedia list of all musical instruments but couldn't find it. Reason being - it's not in the list. It does, however have it's own listing.:confused:

There is a musical instrument called a bazooka too, but it's like a trumpet.

But , it's also very hard to pass the piano too although I can't play . Some of my family do though and have for years . Got a free concert one Christmas from my richo sisters 200k grand, very nice.

That's great, random! What sort of piano? Must be a ripper!

Does music recording gear count? We just bought a Vintage Neve desk that silver chair and The Presets most recent albums were recorded on.

If that doesn't count, my fav instrument to play and listen to is electronic bass.

I have been fascinated with all things keyboard since I was small - my first instrument was a portable chord organ (bit like an accordion with an electric airpump if you can figure that out!). I then went on to a Casiotone MT-800 (which I suspect is somwhere in my mum's house).

These days:

Casio CTK-7000 (my main board - which I can sort of play 3 finger LH + 1 finger RH!)
Yamaha PSR-500 (back up)
Ensoniq ESQ-1 (managed to blow it up - hoping to repair "one day")
Roland Juno 106 (got a DCO that won't turn off! :()
Korg EX-800 (rack mount version of Poly800)

Roland TR-505 drum machine
Yamaha QX-5 Sequencer (no I don't use it now - Anvil Studios on my laptop is so much easier!)

When loudness is needed:

Roland CPM-120II powered mixer
Roland HK-20 (yes I still use it)

I also own a guitar (not sure I can claim to be able to play it!)

Ibanez Axstar
with a
Roland Cube-20X amp

Update.....
As per this thread;

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1200843#post1200843

bought a new steel string acoutstic (with pick up)

Also finally threw out the Ensoniq and Juno..... a sad day...... :(
The HK-20 is starting to die too.....

I acquainted myself with a free program called Audacity on my laptop which threw me into the world of DAW's - digital recording unimaginable only a few years ago - instead of my old 4 track tape recorder, and sat down to record (over many months!!!) some songs we play at church.

The tracks below are recorded using the Casio CTK-7000 and my electric guitar (for one little bit!).

https://soundcloud.com/user848025997/412-d/s-eShus
https://soundcloud.com/user848025997/d-659/s-4Mn27

The Y-man

Last edited:
I have a couple of electric guitars and a 100W Mesa amp sitting at home untouched for the last few years. There used to be a time when I wouldn't go a day without playing.

Nowadays its just me and a Maton acoustic. Don't have as much time as I did back then. I hope I'll still be playing when I'm 70. Maybe then, I'll actually be good :)

Tried my hands on Tabla when I was young. Didn't get too many lessons. Don't own one and haven't played in ages :(
But, very fascinated with this instrument!

Attachments

• md1.35133837_large.jpg
    md1.35133837_large.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 29
Back