your most important purchasing lesson

i am interested in the lessons you'll have learnt the hard way during the process of purchasing properties. hopefully so that others can learn an avoid - or merely have a wee chuckle at our silliness in hindsight

i cringe every time i think of my most important lesson. lesson number one: the selling agent works for the vendor!! don't forget they are trying to get the best sale price for the "vendor". they're not trying to get me the best buying price ... learn that lizzie ... learn that lizzie ...

twice i got caught thinking with my heart instead of my head and ended up possibly paying to much. each time the agent (different agents) teased me with the "other interest party" line. both times i panicked and upped my offer - which was then accepted. they are still okay buys but they should have been better.

silly silly me.

i hope i have learnt my lesson, but still i am (on occasion) tempted to lift my offers for an acceptance instead of biding my time. i say "never again" will i be tempted to pay more than i initially decided upon and have to remind myself of this every day.

Practice making offers and negotiating . The agents except offers and negotiate every week.

No one goes out to play competative sport expecting to succeed without practicing before hand ( unless you're playing over 35 soccer .....)

Make low offers that shouldn't be accepted. Get used to the feeling of being able to say to the agent , " no, that's all I'm prepared to offer " , " I agree , it may well be worth more than that , but that's all I'm prepared to pay ..." or words to that effect , and then walk away.

See Change

Reactions: Les
Only two come to mind,Focus on the property not the real estate agent,
and know more about the property than anyone else..
good luck
willair........

Hi Lizzie

I think the most important lesson I have learned is that property is very forgiving.

Physically, if you paint it the wrong colour or break a window or flood the upstairs, there's not much which can't be repaired or replaced.

Sure, perhaps the front of the building falling down a hole is a bit of a tricky situation, but that, too will pass.

Financially, you can pay a bit too much and twenty years later find it hard to remember what you did pay for it.

Location wise, quiet side streets become access roads for freeways or sleepy suburbs get a whole new shopping plaza or that unfashionable suburb gets a new planning scheme and suddenly you can build three townhouses in the overgrown backyard.

Perhaps we remember our embarassment more than the money. I figure, nothing is about the money, anyway, but if we have been treated shabbily that is very hard to forget.

Learning that it is all a bit of a game is important. Whatever or however we buy, whether we hold, trade, develop or whatever, at the end of the day we can't eat the stuff and it doesn't keep us warm at night. So it's a game.

So now when I hear about the other buyer I yield the ground. 'Oh, OK, let them have it!' When I hear about the higher offer which the vendor has already refused, I say 'Well, they're a bit of a mug, aren't they? They knocked that back? Phew!'

Maybe I'm just getting crusty in my old age, but if it aint fun, why do it?

I think it's important to keep things in perspective, to remember that this is an optional activity (Elective 1:01) and is for our own prosperity, no one else's.

Long after the agent has paid their mobile phone bill and bought the week's shopping, we will still have that house. Whether we pay $10,000 too much (who said it was too much?) or rent it straight away or buy broad acres and farm thistles, unless we were really possessed at the time, we will still have that property many years later.

He who laughs last laughs longest.

Don't feel embarrased, don't feel regrets, practice laughing and get out there and buy the next one.

Lizzie, I'm sure the agents concerned can't even remember your incidents. I make a fool of myself at least twice each day and three times on Thursdays. I just make sure I wear colours which won't clash with blush!

Silly Lizzie? No! Clever Lizzie! Buying all those houses, who would have thought a wee slip of a lass would be out buying houses before breakfast and have them renovated by tea time? Silly Lizzie? I don't think so!

Cheers

Kristine

By the way, when I bought the Bank the agent couldn't even be bothered coming out from their City office to show me through.

I had been talking to them since January yet it was only by chance that I say the Auction advertisement in the paper in the May. Like to take bets how I felt about that?

'Hello, Mr Big Time City Agent, when can I see through the Bank?'

'It will be open half an hour before Auction time'. Yeah, thanks.

Then, he rang me and said that a 'couple' were wanting to look through so I 'could' look through in the fifteen minutes that he would be there. 'Do you have the S.32?' 'Oh, no, they're not ready yet, they'll be at the Auction'.

Well, the 'couple' came to the auction but didn't bid.

Mike came to the Auction - hey presto! suddenly I was part of a 'couple', and the Big Time City Agents looked differently at me. Not much differently (I was, if I remember correctly, wearing a full length dress decorated with stars and moons and a velvet coat thingy which was a bit tight across the shoulders), but somewhat.

They couldn't keep straight faces when we all crammed into the change room back at my 35msq New Age shop to sign the contracts.

Eight years later, who's laughing? Do they even remember the property, or me, or their smirks? Nah, but that Bank is the Jewel in the Crown, worth every anguished dollar we paid for it, worth every cent we scraped together to keep up the instalments in the first few years, worth the dread of watching as it's value - and the municipal rates - fell, for one, two , three years in a row.

Mistake? Lesson? Yes, lesson, mistake, no. Lesson: Property forgives you. Property will calm your fears and sooth your hurts, embarassed though you may be when you buy.

Silly Lizzie, keep doing what you're doing. Have a lapel button made: Hi! I'm Silly Lizzie and I Buy Houses. When you're counting your $4 million in net worth just before you set off in your three bedroom Winnebago, look back and be glad you were Silly Lizzie, and not Sensible Lizzie, who would have known better than to buy those tawdry old houses in the first place!

By the way, I'm sitting here shrieking with laughter, remembering that dress! I sold lots of clothes like that, and the Anventageous range (made in New Zealand, I think) which were High Goth at the time. Outrageously expensive, people lay-buyed them for months and then wore their lace up Doc Martens with their tie dyed lace and ribbon creations.

The shop was lots of fun. I missed it for years later. But I've still got the Bank as a little momento to remind me! I can cope.

Last edited:
The biggest hit we took was our first contract we ever signed.....

It was for a $300k offf the plan apartment.

The only problem was that the so called "agent" turned out to be a shonk - he went around "selling" a (legitimate) project, collected the deposits from people (well, we weren't the only naive ones :p ) and then did a runner!

So we were left with an unconditional contract, missing 10% deposit (which took my wife 6 years to save)......

Key learnings:
1. Make sure the guy doing the talking is the real deal.
2. Make cheques payable to the correct trust accounts - never to companies (or individuals for that matter :) )
3. Yes, I said cheque - don't use cash - much harder to trace it....

Cheers,

The Y-man

p.s. I understand the man in question is currently enjoying free accomodation (with meals) at the tax payer's expense.

From my first purchase (and second?) I've got to go with "Bonecrusher"
Don't accept what someone is telling you. Read everything and check everything out yourself.
The Mortgage group that got us underway were often quoting "Everything's under control, Les" - I learnt quite quickly that this most often means "Better spend a bit more time finding out where things are REALLY at!!!"

We bought our first two in two weeks - and promptly thereafter dismissed the group. Even as a newbie, it was easy to see who had who's interests at heart !!

Regards,

From my very limited experience, I would say my biggest lesson is having people work for you that aren't absolute imbeciles.

For my first purchase (and only one so far), we almost didn't get the loan because our loan manager (I didn't go through a broker) didn't know her job and couldn't answer anything or actually organise the loan in any way shape or form (nearly tossed the whole game in because of it).

It wasn't until my solicitor put me onto another loan manager from the same company but different branch that things all of a sudden seemed to worked.

If you find good people, hold on to them.

BR

Hi Lizzie

My biggest lesson was learing to surround myself with experts instead of needing to be an expert in every field.

I remember the first tax return we submitted after purchasing IP 1.

The accountant gave me a copy of the return to sign with a note of the expected refund. I said to him that I did not think that was a big enough refund. He rejigged it and gave it to me a second time and again I questioned it. My husband was mortified that I kept questioning him, after all he was the accountant. I was so naive back then and probably don't know a whole lot more even today but the one saving grace was the copy of Jan Somer's book. Expert number one. I remember reading Jan's book thinking I can do that.

Needless to say he never prepared another tax return for us.

If the professional people I surround myself with don't meet my expectations then I move on or more to the point I move them on.

Cheers

CK

Good points CK.

Can't remember if it was on here or if someone told me but I remember a quote along the lines of 'The only 'secret' the rich have is that they always discuss issues with their advisers and are always willing to pay for that advice'.

I've been lucky and have been able to source my advisers from here so I haven't had to go out there doing the hard yards trying to find competent people, but I always ALWAYS go to them for advice when I think about making a move or how I need to proceed with a certain decision.

Now working in the industry it never ceases to amaze me how people will ignore good advice or references because they think they can do better or will save some money by going elsewhere. They almost always end up coming back looking for someone to fix their issues for them.

Mark

great post kristine - and inspirational!

i have a great team of advisors, and i pay them well when i have work done - but we all have such a great report now that whenever i have a small question i can ring at any time, have a chat and get my questioned answered no charge. they are all worth their weight in wine.

Most important lesson.

Inspect the property and everything outside the main building before you exchange contracts.

The PPOR I purchased 5 years ago had a side gate to block the back yard. On final inspection my wife noticed the fence was missing (we eben had digital pictures to prove it). The owners lodged an insurance claim to get it replaced before we exchanged contracts.

First Mistake

Hi

Just had my first major mistake.
My first two IPs have been blocks. I have just been through the process to start building on the first one.
Had the contract and house plans signed the loan approved with the bank,loan approved and already to go.
Even had the council building approval.
The builder comes back with an increase of 6k. :eek:
I new the price was a good deal to start with but I couldn’t believe they would do such a thing. I had assumed the builder had signed the fixed priced contract so the bank could approve the loan.
This was not the case. They had sat on my signed copy of contract and just waited for me to call and enquirer about the building progress.
My options at that point where.
1 Tell them to stick the contract where it fits, go to another builder. :mad:
2 Go with the agreed increase :rolleyes:

Now in my younger days I would have gone with option one.
Being a bit wiser I worked out if I had gone to another builder it would delay the project by 4 months.
I also calculated a 15K increase on the cost to build the house.
(Note this is based on the current WA Market)
I bit my lip and went with option 2 and payed the increase. :(

Next time I will know better than to trust the builder.

Cheers

Back