Zonings, land sizes and number of unit dwellings

Hi all,

I've been curious to find out what the difference between medium density zoning developments versus high density zoning developments?

Whilst I appreciate the definition of max dwellings may vary between councils, my understanding has been anything over 30 units is considered high density.

Also, what about minimum land sizes being able to accommodate multi story units?

I just saw an example on price finder where there is an application in place for 24 units (4 story multi unit dwelling) to be built with underground parking on a 670sqm site. I believe the street is zoned for high density developments. Is 670sqm even enough?

How do you really figure out how many villas/units/townhouses can go on a piece of land? Oscar just fitted 4 units on a 450sqm corner block in another thread. What if the land is 600sqm, 700sqm, 800sqm and not a corner block?

Where we live, the land for the complex is 1400sqm and fits 2br x 5 villas and it's not a corner block. How much is enough?

What do you look for?

Thanks,
MsAli

Last edited:
The main factor will be floor space ratio on the block. Say its 0.5:1 that means your floorspace can be half your total block size.

I am still new to this, so please correct me if I am wrong. I am in Victoria and my understanding is, for R1, there is no longer a minimum block size. Having said that, you will have to fit your development with the market. For example, I know there is a development in Lalor where they fit 4 units (50 sqm living + carspace) in a 600 sqm+ block. However they are still not sold, most probably due to the area where majority are families so the units are too small.
Any experience developer/town planner please add...

I am still new to this, so please correct me if I am wrong. I am in Victoria and my understanding is, for R1, there is no longer a minimum block size. Having said that, you will have to fit your development with the market. For example, I know there is a development in Lalor where they fit 4 units (50 sqm living + carspace) in a 600 sqm+ block. However they are still not sold, most probably due to the area where majority are families so the units are too small.
Any experience developer/town planner please add...

Yes, one of the key things you need to do as a developer is to determine what the market wants in that area, not just build the maximum number of units on the block.

I have created a constraints, objectives, design triangle (as attached) that outlines the process that a developer needs to go through to determine what they should build. I will include a full explanation of it in my website when it launches in early August.

Attachments

• Constraints Objectives Design Triangle.png
    Constraints Objectives Design Triangle.png
    49 KB · Views: 248
Back