Building a Granny Flat

Nek, most folk I know spend time in their bedrooms at night and living areas by day. Winter sun shining into living areas is a beautiful thing. Brightens up peoples day and great for marketing your flat. ;)

I was amused to see the sunroom on the existing house was located in the south. That means hot in summer and cold in winter. :confused:

I would be knocking out some walls in there and going for open plan. :)

Nek, most folk I know spend time in their bedrooms at night and living areas by day. Winter sun shining into living areas is a beautiful thing. Brightens up peoples day and great for marketing your flat. ;)

I was amused to see the sunroom on the existing house was located in the south. That means hot in summer and cold in winter. :confused:

Yep very true Rockstar.
You don't want to lose that Northerly aspect if you can.

granny

we built a granny flat in north bondi, rear lane access, neighbor kept complaining they would lose their view, eventhough there isn't one!
we submitted plans 3 times, council made us eventually choose from 5 of their designs. we picked the best one, which has a pitched roof, as they didnt want a flat roof. anyway we love it! we all, 2 kids and 2 adults utilise the space everyday! laundry, office bathroom/shower. Fantastic! Downstairs is a garage/loungeroom, opens up to garden, with music room etc.
Excellent use of space, nearly 100 sq m in total

Fair enough, I've rearranged the layout based on what you've said.

Cant knock it out because the sunroom is the extension part of that house. Probably explains why its facing south instead of north.

Anyways, Ive redone some diagrams, my concern is now the size of the backyard. In my initial plans, i would have had the backyard at 39.75sqm, but now its gone down to 23.58 sqm. Should I be worried about this?

It is a 2 bedroom "house" so to speak, is the yard im giving them here too small?

Attachments

• GF6.jpg
    GF6.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,835
It is a 2 bedroom "house" so to speak, is the yard im giving them here too small?

The SEPP requires:

Part 4 Landscaping

16 Landscaped area

(1) A lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling is carried out must have a landscaped area of at least the following:

(a) 20 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 450 square metres but less than 600 square metres,

(b) 25 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 600 square metres but less than 900 square metres,

(c) 35 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 900 square metres but less than 1500 square metres,

(d) 45 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 1500 square metres.

(2) At least 50 per cent of the landscaped area must be located behind the building line to the primary road boundary.

(3) The landscaped area must be at least 2.5 metres wide.

There are other requiremets relating to 'articulation zone' (minimum landscaped area in front of the new GF), minimum doors and windows facing the street etc.
Before you get too stuck on a design, I'd read through the schedule there (Schedule 1-Secondary Dwelligs). Its near the bottom of the page. PM me if you need any help interpreting it. Nice plans btw :)
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+364+2009+cd+0+N

Hope this helps m8.

The SEPP requires:

Part 4 Landscaping

16 Landscaped area

(1) A lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling is carried out must have a landscaped area of at least the following:

(a) 20 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 450 square metres but less than 600 square metres,

(b) 25 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 600 square metres but less than 900 square metres,

(c) 35 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 900 square metres but less than 1500 square metres,

(d) 45 per cent, if the lot has an area of at least 1500 square metres.

(2) At least 50 per cent of the landscaped area must be located behind the building line to the primary road boundary.

(3) The landscaped area must be at least 2.5 metres wide.

Hope this helps m8.

Would these landscaping requirements be for the area that the granny flat is enclosed in? Is there a certain amount of landscaped area you'd need to leave for the main residence?

Would these landscaping requirements be for the area that the granny flat is enclosed in?

These are for the resultant landscaped area for the entire property.

Is there a certain amount of landscaped area you'd need to leave for the main residence?

Yes, depends on lot size, location and the articulation of the structures.

17 Principal private open space

(1) A lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling is carried out must have at least 24 square metres of principal private open space.(2)
In this clause, principal private open space means:
(a) an area that is directly accessible from, and adjacent to, a habitable room, other than a bedroom, and
(b) is at least 4 metres wide, and
(c) is not steeper than 1:50 gradient.

Yes, depends on lot size, location and the articulation of the structures.

17 Principal private open space

(1) A lot on which development for the purposes of a secondary dwelling is carried out must have at least 24 square metres of principal private open space.(2)
In this clause, principal private open space means:
(a) an area that is directly accessible from, and adjacent to, a habitable room, other than a bedroom, and
(b) is at least 4 metres wide, and
(c) is not steeper than 1:50 gradient.

Hey Brazen,

Can Nek use the setback area on the side street as PO Space. ie: can he fence that side of the secondary street so the front yard (on the sidestreet) becomes POS. People in our shire living on corner blocks tend to do this but not sure if it is with approval?

Nek, do you have a scaled site plan?

Hey Brazen,

Can Nek use the setback area on the side street as PO Space. ie: can he fence that side of the secondary street so the front yard (on the sidestreet) becomes POS. People in our shire living on corner blocks tend to do this but not sure if it is with approval?

lol thats nuts.
You cant just 'fence' off a section of reserve and call it yours. At least not on paper.

no.

Can I just say lol 1 more time.

You cant just 'fence' off a section of reserve and call it yours. At least not on paper.
/QUOTE]

Cool it Brazo my boy. :D

I wasn't talking about the reserve. I meant within the property boundary but on the side street.

On a corner block in our shire the setback on the side street is much less than the main frontage.

/QUOTE]

Cool it Brazo my boy. :D

I wasn't talking about the reserve. I meant within the property boundary but on the side street.

On a corner block in our shire the setback on the side street is much less than the main frontage.

:) My first bitto sarcasm on this board and I picked you! :eek:

I think I know what you mean.
Fences on the secondary street can be 1.8m high (if thats what you mean), then taper down at a prescribed distance from the x corner to 1.2 or 1.5m depending on the Council (I believe)...

Your land is your land.
But to stay on-topic, the total landscaped area still has to meet the criteria posted above.

:) My first bitto sarcasm on this board and I picked you! :eek:

I'm really just a pussycat mate. :(

Fences on the secondary street can be 1.8m high (if thats what you mean), then taper down at a prescribed distance from the x corner to 1.2 or 1.5m depending on the Council (I believe)...

Your land is your land.
But to stay on-topic, the total landscaped area still has to meet the criteria posted above.

So what we need from neK is a scaled site plan so we can work this all out and help him achieve his goal.

Site area
Floor Areas - Floor Space Ratio
% Absorbant areas
Open Space
Setbacks
Sewer and Stormwater provisions
Power
Parking
Etc.

NeK have you had a survey done?

I'm really just a pussycat mate. :(

So what we need from neK is a scaled site plan so we can work this all out and help him achieve his goal.

Site area
Floor Areas - Floor Space Ratio
% Absorbant areas
Open Space
Setbacks
Sewer and Stormwater provisions
Power
Parking
Etc.

NeK have you had a survey done?

Dont really need a survey at this point. fyi if the block falls to the street, you might be able to get away without a survey with regard to approval.

Site Area- in the DP (its in your contract) or downloadable from LPI (about $15
Open Space- Google Earth is fairly accurate for now
Sewer- SSR Diagram or dial b4 u dig (its free)
Power- dial b4 u dig
Parking- dont have to provide additional parking for a granny flat

A month has nearly past since I made my last post about this.

So im happy to post theres been quite a bit of progress.

After numerous talks with the Architectural Draftsman (mainly due to me constantly changing my mind and having him redo drawings), we've finally got to the stage where the plans are done and ready to be submitted to the private certifier.

I'm pretty stoked with the results, the draftsman managed to work out how to best lay out the floor plan (using the entire 60sqm) while giving it the house a proper front yard (3m x 8m) as well as a proper backyard (4m x 8m) and making sure my existing house had a backyard of 7m x 15m :D.

I've sent these plans to my property agent who reckons that it will rent in the vicinity of $350 to $400 per week given its got its own street frontage and own backyard (the existing house currently rents for $430 per week).

After doing some numbers, if everything works out, i should actually go from negatively geared to positively geared. (I'll show more detailed numbers once I get a firm quote from the builder) :D

The next step is to talk to more builders, the draftman has already hooked me up with a company so im currently speaking to them, but I'm probably going to speak to some more builders and see what other prices I can get.

In the meantime, here are the floor and site plans :)

Quick question, I know there are always extra costs involved when it comes to building... whats the general rule of thumb you guys work with for these extra costs?

Attachments

• GrannyFlat.jpg
    GrannyFlat.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,241
  • GF Elevation.jpg
    GF Elevation.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 259
A month has nearly past since I made my last post about this.

So im happy to post theres been quite a bit of progress.

After numerous talks with the Architectural Draftsman (mainly due to me constantly changing my mind and having him redo drawings), we've finally got to the stage where the plans are done and ready to be submitted to the private certifier.

I'm pretty stoked with the results, the draftsman managed to work out how to best lay out the floor plan (using the entire 60sqm) while giving it the house a proper front yard (3m x 8m) as well as a proper backyard (4m x 8m) and making sure my existing house had a backyard of 7m x 15m :D.

I've sent these plans to my property agent who reckons that it will rent in the vicinity of $350 to $400 per week given its got its own street frontage and own backyard (the existing house currently rents for $430 per week).

After doing some numbers, if everything works out, i should actually go from negatively geared to positively geared. (I'll show more detailed numbers once I get a firm quote from the builder) :D

The next step is to talk to more builders, the draftman has already hooked me up with a company so im currently speaking to them, but I'm probably going to speak to some more builders and see what other prices I can get.

In the meantime, here are the floor and site plans :)

Quick question, I know there are always extra costs involved when it comes to building... whats the general rule of thumb you guys work with for these extra costs?

excellent work neK,
A similar project qouted for us (with brick exterior):

Stage 1 - design - $2200
Stage 2 - approval process - $4420
Stage 3 - Construction - $106,180

Cheers,

Gentlechief, so have you started building yet?
Also who did you go through? (You can PM me the details if you dont want to post it publicly).

Not sure what their 'standard' design was.
But I quite like your design as it has a few 'etiquette' pointers:
- when someone steps inside the house I dont want the kitchen to be the first to greet them. rather prefer the living room straight up.
- I dont like the idea of accessing the bathroom via the kitchen
- higher ceilings? most definitely

Back