Building a Granny Flat

OK have a look at this. I've knocked it up in Visio.

It keeps the kitchen facing the living area and hides the Laundry/bathroom a little. With a bit more fiddling you could probably swap the Laundry and Bathroom so you dont have to go through the laundry for a wee.

Ooops, I've just realised its pretty much what you've just uploaded neK. Only difference is I've kept the laundry and bathroom separate. Also, use sliding doors if you get a bit pressed for space.

Attachments

• Visio-Drawing3.pdf
    199.9 KB · Views: 364
hehe

look at type 4 in the pdf i created after reading Joe's feedback.

Its pretty much the same. LOL :D

Though a few things im trying to avoid

1. Sliding doors - Cost more and if damaged are a bigger pain to fix
2. Laundry bench, while i like that idea, that would restrict the renter to a front loader only. I dont really want to supply a washing machine only on the basis that if it breaks i have to fix it.

Ive also thought about using that style bathroom, though ive been in one those 1.6x1.6 bathrooms and i really dislike the corner shower. While 90x90 square shower is enough room, having a corner taken away results in a lot of knocking of elbows while showering.

Nek
I am doing almost the exact same thing very soon. I also have a corner block but it already has a granny flat on it but it is poorly constructed and I am not 100% sure it was passed as a granny flat. It is on the councils books but I think as a workshop. The previous owner converted it with a DA but never got it passed (wouldn't pass I'm sure).

I am tossing up weather to get approval and do a reno & put right or demolish and build new. Reno will be much cheaper but I dont know if it will get a nod from the authorities.

In my case I am thinking of getting a professional opinion from a private certifier.

Let me know how you get on.

BTW, this is my new direction in PI. I am only going to buy properties I can put a granny flat on to max rental income. Unless I can get a really good deal from a more conventional property.

Move the bathroom

NeK,
had a quick look at your plan and have 1 observation.

Your bathroom/toilet comes off the kitchen. Not good.

From my uni days (studying Architecture) I recall a BCA (building code of Australia) rule about toilets not allowed to be accessed off a kitchen, there has to be a certain distance between them - cant quite remember it now (left uni 5 years ago) and I no longer have acess to the BCA site to give the exact wording and I am not working in this industry. You still have to comply with the BCA even for a granny flat.

I would recommend you PM someone here who has access to, and understands the BCA. Bluecard comes to mind.

Hope this helps.

NeK,
had a quick look at your plan and have 1 observation.

Your bathroom/toilet comes off the kitchen. Not good.

From my uni days (studying Architecture) I recall a BCA (building code of Australia) rule about toilets not allowed to be accessed off a kitchen, there has to be a certain distance between them - cant quite remember it now (left uni 5 years ago) and I no longer have acess to the BCA site to give the exact wording and I am not working in this industry. You still have to comply with the BCA even for a granny flat.

I would recommend you PM someone here who has access to, and understands the BCA. Bluecard comes to mind.

Hope this helps.

you only need a self-closing door on the bathroom and a flumed exhaust fan to the bathroom.

this is my type 4 - de-clutter and just put the WM under the vanity bench, move door forward into porch and put a thin linen cup'd for more storage.

Attachments

• type4.JPG
    type4.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 565
Thanks for the info Bluecard :)

I cant actually move the porch door forward as this would mean i would exceed the 60sqm.

I quite like the way you've done the bathroom with the washing machine.

Though the question I have here is should i then supply them with a front loader washing machine?

Last thing i want is some annoying tenant hitting me up for a broken washing machine or worse yet claiming the washing machine I supplied them damaged their clothes or something stupid like that.

Another question is do i provide a U shape kitchen with a eat-in bench or just leave it as a L shape?

So does everyone else think that type 2 & 3 are bad because of the kitchen layout?
My thinking is that Type 2 & 3 offer better cross ventilation and offer slightly more cupboard space than the Type 4.

Attachments

• Granny Flat.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 547
leave it L shaped - everyone always tries to stuff too much into small rooms and makes them unworkable.

i'd supply a new front loader - it it were me.

people forget that only 40 years ago the dining room table formed part of the kitchen work area.

Say for example, I decide to go with a builder who's original design is this (see attachment)

However I decide to opt for my variation of the design (say type 4). Shape is essentially the same, though mine is deeper but not as wide.

Given these guys are exactly your masterton type builder (ie they are a small builder who see this granny flat as a bit of a niche market), how much extra should they charge me?

Attachments

• 2-bedroom-unit-granny-flat-the-executive-floor-plan.jpg
    2-bedroom-unit-granny-flat-the-executive-floor-plan.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,706
Just a question re these Granny Flats.

How is the 60sqm allowable size calculated, external walls or internal?
It would make quite a big difference if you could have 60sqm internally.

Only asking because for a current duplex development we are doing in Sutherland Shire Council, we calculate floor space totals from internal walls.

Just a question re these Granny Flats.

How is the 60sqm allowable size calculated, external walls or internal?
It would make quite a big difference if you could have 60sqm internally.

Only asking because for a current duplex development we are doing in Sutherland Shire Council, we calculate floor space totals from internal walls.

Here's what ive been told so far.

1. It is counted from the external walls
2. Only enclosed areas are counted, therefore porches / verandahs are not counted towards the space.
3. Apparently if you use cladding or something that attaches to the house frame, the exterior is counted from the house frame, not the actually cladding (this one sounds a bit odd, but hey if they get it approved, more internal room for me).
4. If you use brick, it needs to be counted from the brickwork so your internal will be smaller.

I contacted the grannyflat help line only to be told its based on the BCA, so i called the draftsman and that is what I was told.

Internal would definitely be heaps better.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Here's what ive been told so far.

2. Only enclosed areas are counted, therefore porches / verandahs are not counted towards the space.

So then you could make use of alfresco style and maybe an atrium design to really make the place alot bigger with more available space.
Although, the costs would go up too.

So then you could make use of alfresco style and maybe an atrium design to really make the place alot bigger with more available space.
Although, the costs would go up too.

Thats my understanding. Though i tried some drawings that could incorporate that. I do find that having only 60sqm to play with does it make it difficult. Then again, im sure a real architect could work it out.

But yeah, seeing this a granny flat with the purpose of increasing rental income, it doesnt make that much sense to put everything in there, considering the max you could probably go is 2 bedroom.

Electricity bills

Sorry to interupt on your post but I have been following the granny flat post and especially the new law changes brought out by the NSW State Govt.

One question I do have though is a number of the properties you seeon the market and that I have been interested in have an additional area to live in (ie granny flat or garage) however they are not seperately billed as they were originally built as an addition.

Do you guys have any plans how you will get round this in your properties and how I would be able to charge the 2 x seperate tennantgs fairly on any future purchases?

Thanks

For electricity i believe you can install a 2nd meter so it can be charged individually.

For water, not sure if that one is possible. But given water usage is minimal (ie water connection is $140 pq, usage usually $20 per quarter), im not really fussed. If i can install a separate meter then ill charge it, otherwise ill just advertise as "inclusive of water"

I know with Blacktown council they only charge you one set of rates for having a house and granny on the one title, im guessing water will be charged the same way.

Nek, from my research in the Blacktown area Granny Flats are rented within the week, so i would not be too fussed about how nice it will look because once you have tenants in place the dwelling will have start to wear and tear, etc.

Washing machine question, try to supply the least amount of things possible in the GF especially electrical items, as they will need replacing. I do not know where in Sydney you are but maybe go out on the weekend and inspect some GF in your chosen area see how much they charge and what they include etc. then you will have a good idea of what to supply the market with.

Ian

Thanks Nek

Is this done by the electricity/utility coy or is it done by an electrician?? Do you know the requirements involved with council etc??

Thanks

Back