2007 election 24 Nov

... and climate change is nowhere to be seen?......

And peak oil, to me, the greater more immediate threat, does not even have a Garret to champion the cause. :(

For all the shortcomings of the Howard gov. I can't vote for anyone who will not even consider nuclear power so that means I vote Lib or pox on both your parties. LOL

hagel;338816 He's trying to screw workers for being paid a fair wage said:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

... or are some "unreasonable" workers out there actually trying to get high wages for themselves to the extent of "screwing up" the general public and the public transportation services like what the new train drivers for Perth-Rockingham-Mandurah New Southern Railway are trying to do now in order to DELAY the planned commencement of this new train line operations on 23rd December 2007 by failing their self-test en masse?

This is despite some of the union workers being fined heftly for their collective strike and site walk-out actions recently, thereby causing unnneccessary work delays and budget cost blow-outs, to the proper completion of this new Southern Railway Line.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Once more - first week in November. I don't think rates will go up again just yet - I think if they increase the discrepancy between our rates and the US there will be an even greater influx of money into the country, which will push the AUS dollar even higher. If you want to keep inflation down, do you make plasma TVs and the like even 'cheaper'?
Dear Apocalypse

Sorry, mate... You've said it too early;- ouch, your predictions has been proven wrong by real events.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Nope, that horse hasn't bolted.

Try working in the building/construction/development industry in a unionised environment - not an easy task for sure! Just having labor in at a state level makes it difficult, if it were labour australia wide then the whole industry will be in strife.

When we were developing our last job our building team were constantly harrassed by the unions and you know what they'd say? "Wait till labor gets in at the next fed election...then we'll really have the power".
Dear Joanna,

1. Isn't that awful?

2. ... See what they have done in Perth, to cause significant delay to the completion of the Perth-Rockingham-Mandurah new Southern Railway and its budget cost blow-outs. Some of these workers were recently fined heftly for their past " work sites walk-out" strike actions.

3. Now, we have some of the new train drivers even trying to deliberately fail their self-test en masse in order to force up their own salaries, at the expense of causing more delays to the planned operation of this new Southern Railway line operations on 23rd December 2007 and causing more inconveniences to the general public.

4. I cannot see how Australia can remain prosperous if it would easily allow itself to be "held ransom" by some of these "unreasonable" workers and their unrealistic demands, under the Kevin Rudd's ALP Government.

5. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Brenda, I just saw the youtube you put up, brilliant. I can tell you first hand though that work choices is about signing people up to a better deal, but over the long term paying them less, therefore the business will be more profitable. I guess as employee, you would be better off voting Rudd, as a business owner, Howard.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Hagel,

1. If business is non-profitable, it will eventually has to close down.

2. When many busnesses start to fail en masses, no new jobs will be created. Existing employment will soon dry up and simply evaporate in thin airs before our very eyes, quickly on an overnight basis.

3. Consequently, how then are the workers' rights duly protected when he/she loses a job and is unable to find a new one?

4. Isn't this the very highly unpopular, painful but nonetheless truthful bottomline message which Tony Abbot has been telling his audience when he was deliberately filmed and "misquoted" out of context, from his speech recently by the ALP for negative publicity and broadcast purposes during this Federal Election campaign?

5. If the trade unions truly want to protect its workers and champions their rights, then I believe that they should seriously consider converting their "unions" into viable business enterprises so as to create sufficient new jobs and to effectively protect the existing employment for their own workers and their real livelihoods.

6. This is as per what what the once militant, IRA unions have done so for its members' collective good, recently.

7. Do you not agree?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Spot on Buzz.

Not all of us forget things though ;). I think I can recall someone saying something like...........GST won't be introduced under my government and also that interest rates would remain low :eek:

Regards
Marty
Dear Marty,

1. How then can the Australian peoples make John Howard and his Liberal Coalition Government, to be more responsible and accountable for their public statements and past elections manifestoes?

2. Simply by voting them out of Government during this Federal Election?

3. .... Is this the best recourse for the local Australians and in their best legal interests to do so presently during this Federal Elections?

4. Personally, I do not think so!

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I dont trust either Howard or Rudd to really act and hope Garret willmake a real difference but I think the unions will screw over any real impact.

Peter 14.7
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Peter,

Perhaps the Greens may be a better choice for your vote, in this case, then?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Dear All,

1. Kerry-Anne, in her article, "The Revolt of the Homebuyers" which is reported in the SMH newspapers today that

"Ominously for the Government, 22 per cent of home buyers who voted for the Coalition at the last election will switch to Labor.

Members of the politically volatile "battler" group, who carry average mortgages and earn less than $80,000 a year, have most dramatically embraced Labor. Sixty-one-per-cent of voters who have mortgage debt of between $100,000 and $300,000 will vote for the Rudd team - a stark turnaround from the 53percent in this group who helped the Coalition win in 2004.

Home buyers earning less than $80,000 have also turned spectacularly on the Government."

"The unpopularity of WorkChoices has emerged as the main reason for shifting to Labor, followed by interest rate rises and a wariness of a Peter Costello prime ministership."

"A crushing blow for the Government is that its big-hitting $34 billion tax package offered on the first day of the election campaign has been vehemently spurned by all home buyers and those changing votes."

"Among all home buyers, economic management was rated the key concern, followed by WorkChoices and party leadership. This group voted interest rates as only ninth on the list."

" The research further reinforces the finding that battler home buyers in middle-income swinging seats will be crucial to Kevin Rudd's election chances."

" Voters are retreating from the traditional view that a Coalition Government is better able to handle the country's economic affairs. "

"Another recurring theme was that Labor offered a fresh vision and the Howard Government had failed in its fourth term to govern well in a wide range of areas."

"Along with interest rates and industrial relations, education and health were most often rated as policy areas in which the Government had failed to impress."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/federal-...-the-homebuyers/2007/11/17/1194767020837.html

2. What do pro-Liberal members here, have to say about this article by Kerry-Anne?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Kerry-Anne Walsh (another amateur political correspondent). Her typical and familiar rationale being expoused for the changing political sentiment ignore the fact that the polls changed as soon as Rudd was elected as ALP leader. That was late 2006. For the first time, there was a credible opposition leader, and the electorate was looking for something else. There was no such commentary in Australia pre-Rudd about IR, climate change, Peter Costello blah blah blah....

The current Lib leadership is not despised (as was Keating in 96). Have a look at the polls. There has been a change in society for something different (even slogans!). The electorate have discounted 'economic management' and have seemingly jumped on board an alternative.

The reality is that the ALP IR policy is more restrctive and will be inflationary. The LAW tax cuts (and their eventual withdrawl) under Keating may make a return under Rudd, when in a few years, the pressure to addrees inflationary pressures will be significant.

The electorate have discounted 'economic management' and have seemingly jumped on board an alternative.
Dear Buzzlightyear,

1. I do not think that "change for the sake of change" is an wise decision, on the part of the Australian peoples.

2. I believe that political stakes are high for the Australian peoples for this Federal Election outcomes;-

a. Australia presently have an effective bi-partisan political system, with the Liberal Coalition governing at the Federal level and the ALP governing at the local State Levels. Such a bi-partisan political system can effectively ensure a proper check-and-balance system within itself, so that no one single political party will have absolute power and be able do things the way they think right, without proper regard to the local Australian peoples' welfare and sentiments. The present Liberal Coalition-dominated Senate could easly be "re-balanced" back by voting more Greens and Social Domocrat Senators if this is indeed what the Australian peoples are truly upset about presently.

b. the continued sound economic management of the Australian Economy and the continued economic prosperity enjoyed by the Australian peoples over the last 16 years. Australia needs a strong leadership and an effective economic governence team, more so now than ever before, midst the present unfolding of the increasing adverse consequences and potentially dangerous global financial crisis outbreak with simultaneous economic slowdowns in the US, in Japan, in the UK and for most part of the Western world as well as the world oil prices escalating to US$100 per barrel and A$ Currency fast heading towards parity with the US$ Currency for the first time in its history. This is especially so when Kevin Rudd and his ALP are presently much "untested" as to their politcal effectiveness. Nofr do they have an coherent economic plan to properly lead Australia into its continued propsperity into the near future.

c. It is clear that Australia will need to develop/have its second generation of leaders and a young PM, to succeed after the aging John Howard has retired in the near future. However, the fight to lead Australia between the next younger generation leaders between Peter Costello and Kevin Rudd is best to be fought out at the next Federal Elections in 2011, on a more equal footing, instead of the present Federal Elections in 2007.

3. For your further comments and discussion, please.

4. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Have to agree with Kenneth's point 1.

From my perspective over here in "myopia-land",

The Australian economy is in a very healthy state compared to the USA.

Sure we have had a number of rate rises back home, but the cost of finance is still quite low, and I don't really believe that the fed Govt has a lot of influence over the rates at the best of times.

They can pass on a tax cut to the sheep, who inturn go out and by a 2nd plasma, thus increasing consumer spending, and maybe starting another inflationary run, which forces the Fed Reserve to put up rates again to slow down the sheep spending, but that's about it.

Over here I see decay of a country big time. They rant all day about how strong the economy is, but that's all based on a strong stock market and their GDP etc, and, as the entire media is controlled by only 5 companies who are in bed with G.W, then there is a good amount of spin on the ball.

In reality, the health care system is totally rooted, with over 50 million people (that they know of) uninsured and not able to afford even the most basic of private health care. So is the education system, to go to UNI (college) is no less than $100k for virtually any course, so less and less are going on to UNI, while of all the ones who can still afford it, all the 20 somethings are debted to the hilt before they even lift a pen at work, unemployment is growing (despite the media figures), homlessness is everywhere, the housing market is in bad shape, with a massive over-supply of housing country wide which will probably hold the market flat for another year or two. More of the wealth is going to less and less, so the middle-class is fast disappearing over here. The minimum wage is till something like $5.75; hasn't moved since about 1979.

Less than half the country vote, and a majority of those who don't are illiterate.

It is sad that the general Aus population can only see as far back as the last rate rise. Our country has been in good shape for a good number of years now, and I don't think a change to Lapdance Kev will improve it at all.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Peter,

Perhaps the Greens may be a better choice for your vote, in this case, then?

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Yes, in the senate I will be voting Green but not necessary the greens. I am considering the Climate Change Coalition.

http://climatechangecoalition.com.au/home.html

because it has scientists and a lot of non pollies on board. I dont like all of their policies but it is not an easy solution and any impact would be moderated. BTW the acknowledge Peak Oil.

So the gov of the day ( labour I think) willhave to work with the senate to get things done. A green tinge is a good idea.

Peter

REM have a song called Ingnoreland about guess where? Their own country, no less.

I think its about a little bit more than 1 interest rate rise. The Australian public aren't that stupid...........are they?

The world has pretty much been in good shape for a good number of years now but you never hear that from 'non core promises Johnnie". Its a global economy these days.

From my perspective over here in "myopia-land",

It is sad that the general Aus population can only see as far back as the last rate rise. Our country has been in good shape for a good number of years now, and I don't think a change to Lapdance Kev will improve it at all.

Evand,

I think the sad reality is that most of the sheep don't look any deeper than their own hip pocket when it comes to who to vote for based on what they've done in the past. The average sheep wouldn't know who the G.G is, or who the Minister for Education is.

I mean, in the USA where less than half the population even bother to vote; because they don't have to, what's to say that Aussie sheep are any different, other than they HAVE to make the exciting trip down to the local school on Saturday and waste half a day off?

And the other thing that amazes me is how so many people make up their mind in the last few days before, or even on the day of, the actual election.

Tell me they really have a clue.

Tell me they really have a clue.
I still think Mr Howard will win,Kevin 07 is acting like he is already in the Hot Seat,and how can this man control interest rates,property prices,groceries, and the big question as the aussie dollar starts to fall ,the price at the pump of Petrol:rolleyes:,but if the average person in the street is that stupid and thinks that Big Kev and his back-up crew, will give them low cost houses,
lap-tops,free uni,and everything else WHO is going to pay?..
Big Blonde Kev is just a front man,the real animal power behind him has not
surfaced yet,just give it time..http://news.ninemsn.com.au/minisite...5&sectionid=6046&sectionname=minisiteelection

willair..

Last edited:
Dear All,

1. Kevin Rudd was reported in the Western Australian Newspapers yesterday as having told the fund managers who are managing the A$1 trillion Australian Superannuation Fund to invest in the real estate markets in Latin America.

2. In his article, "Trusts wary of Latin nations" Anthony Klan writes in The Australian Newspapers today that

"The Honorary Consul of Panama has welcomed Kevin Rudd's suggestion that Australian funds managers should encourage people to invest in Latin American real estate.".

"Analyst John Freedman, with leading property trust UBS, said many listed property groups were looking into emerging markets but none had yet headed to Latin America."

"There are players looking into emerging economies such as Russia, India and China but none of the Australian trusts has got into South America to my knowledge," Mr Freedman said."

"According to the Global Property Guide, the recent rise of left-wing politics in Latin America has made many countries in the region far more volatile for investors. Uruguay was one of the least volatile countries for investment, while Venezuela was one of the most risky, with 683 "property invasions" - where squatters simply seized control of properties - recorded in 2005."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22788095-25658,00.html

3. I am wondering if Kevin Rudd has personally invested in the Latin America's real estate markets and succeeded in his own investing there?

4. On the surface, Kevin Rudd appears to be merely suggesting that Perth should stimulate its local fund management industry, so as not to be overly dependant on its mining industry.

5. However, at a deeper analysis and by implications of the existing public statements made by Kevin Rudd, his intended underlying real messages which is left un-said, can be interpreted to be as follows:

a. The resource boom has more or less ended and therefore Perth should start to consider developing viable alternatives for its continued economic growth instead of being wholly too dependant on its mining industry.

b. Perth can effectively build up its finance industry to rival that of Sydney and provide itself as an fast-emerging alternative economic capital for Australia.

c. that it is safe and profitable for the Perth fund management industry to invest in the highly volatile but presently un-tested Latin America's real estate markets;- ( as an alternative to investing in the local Australian property markets?)

d. that Kevin Rudd himself is not "risk-averse" by his "daring"/ "reckless?" suggestion for Australian and the the local fund managers to invest in the un-tested and highly volatile real estate markets in Latin America.

6. Personally, I am wondering whether the present highly popular Kevin Rudd, is in effect, carrying himself too far in trying to bring home the message of providing an "alternative" ALP Govt to John Howard's Liberal Coalition Govt in this election campaign?

7. For your further comments and discussion, please.

8. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Kevin 07 is acting like he is already in the Hot Seat,and how can this man control interest rates,property prices,groceries, and the big question as the aussie dollar starts to fall ,the price at the pump of Petrol:rolleyes:,but if the average person in the street is that stupid and thinks that Big Kev and his back-up crew, will give them low cost houses, lap-tops,free uni,and everything else WHO is going to pay?..Big Blonde Kev is just a front man,the real animal power behind him has not surfaced yet,just give it time..http://news.ninemsn.com.au/minisite...5&sectionid=6046&sectionname=minisiteelection

willair..

Agreed.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I still think Mr Howard will win,

willair..

The existing ground sentiments in the mortgage belt suburbs and among the young, and what is presently being protrayed over the various public media, does not seem to be appearing so, so far and at this point in time.

The next few days are indeed crucial for John Howard-Peter Costello Team to try to swing more votes over if they are to win in this Saturday Federal Election outcome, as far as I am personally concerned.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:

The next few days are indeed crucial for John Howard-Peter Costello Team to try to swing more votes over if they are to win in this Saturday Federal Election outcome
Kenneth,yes it will be but when you are dealing with a person like Mr Howard who is not some front bar drinker at the Nimbin Hotel,he is still a very smart man for his age,and the people behind him have done the test of time..

If Labor under Mr Rudd win power this weekend,then all i see is opportunties,interest rates go above 10%,higher pay rates,and as the price of Oil will stay at these price levels and above then who ever wins power is in for a tough time.IMHO.
WILLAIR.

Last edited:
Back