BHP-where to next?

Getting back on topic... and then off it again...

I bought BHP back in late August after the sub-prime scare at $36. As of today it has increased about 30% to $47.

I also decided to buy some CBA at the same time at just under $54. As of today it has increased about 14% to $61.80.

Are we likely to see this again over the next 2 months? Surely not.

A what a nice dividend it will be!!! :D

I think also pulled down a bit by the IPO of Nyrstar which was down about 4% in overnight trade overseas.

Wow! Never a dull moment. I'm not game to look how I'm faring today. LOL
Sunfish,maybe it's just one of those days you go for a long walk then have a look in the afternoon,btw it is also a good time to have a small:rolleyes:amount of cash in the tin,i do pl;an for days like these ,the beers coldthe 1970's music is on full blast,and i,m cashed up for a one-off fast bucks hit,just haveto pick the target..
Have a good day ..willair..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWArUaViXsA

Lower, lower!!!

Come on baby you can do it. Damn, looks like its only going to be a couple of percent. Don't you people know the world is ending and the US is about to go into recession? Dump everything now! Drive the ASX down 20%!!

Please?...

OK, looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit longer for that nice big credit crunch shock to shake the markets again. Bugga.

Cheers,
Michael.

Don't you people know the world is ending and the US is about to go into recession? Dump everything now! Drive the ASX down 20%!!
Michael,imho if it's not today in the afternoon selloff,it will be monday morning, if the US Feds pump 41 billion in and the market drops 2.6% and as market is now awaiting employment figures due out of Washington tonight:rolleyes:, i have not spent a cent yet this is only the start depends on how far the aussie dollar drops,but none can control the price of OIL....IMHO..WILLAIR.

Willair,

I hope you're right! Having said that, I'm long ASX at the moment to the tune of about $1M, but I want it to tumble!! I'm in a relatively conservative, downside limiting fund. It will fall, but not nearly as much as the index and small caps etc. I want the tumble as I'll use the correction to rebalance my portfolio. I will exit my fund when the market has a shake-up then buy into more aggressive funds like China, Resources and Small Caps whilst keeping a portion allocated to my conservative ASX50 blue chip fund. Equal splits 25% each is the plan.

I could have cashed out and awaited the pull-back but timing was never my game. I'll wait for it to happen whilst being long but conservative then rebalance on the actual pull back.

Ciao,
Michael.

One of my star performers Fleetwood Corp (FWD) up nearly 3% today. Big surprise in relation to todays All Ords. The market must like it :)

btw: Does anyone else agree that CSL would be a decent buy on the current dip? Or regardless of the dip.

Last edited:
Sunfish,maybe it's just one of those days you go for a long walk ...... the beers coldthe 1970's music is on full blast,and i,m cashed up for a one-off fast bucks hit,just haveto pick the target..
Have a good day ..willair..
I sorta did that. I went and made an honest dollar filling my Coke machines. :)

One of my star performers Fleetwood Corp (FWD) up nearly 3% today. Big surprise in relation to todays All Ords. The market must like it :)

btw: Does anyone else agree that CSL would be a decent buy on the current dip? Or regardless of the dip.

yep, I agree with you. CSL is not correlated to economical cycle, and will do its own thing regardless of what others are doing. A definite core holding

Its a great, absolute quality company and tends to be overlooked with this resource boom. I have made a lot of money with CSL over the years.

Also, Leightons (LEI) is another one. Past and future winner.

This is not ramping or giving advice. Just the sharing of my thoughts on quality stocks that i have done well with.

btw: Hows your portfolio going Brenda? Good, i hope.

yep, I agree with you. CSL is not correlated to economical cycle, and will do its own thing regardless of what others are doing. A definite core holding

Its a great, absolute quality company and tends to be overlooked with this resource boom. I have made a lot of money with CSL over the years.

Also, Leightons (LEI) is another one. Past and future winner.

This is not ramping or giving advice. Just the sharing of my thoughts on quality stocks that i have done well with.

not just LEI, anything to do with engineering service are and will do well in medium term (I'm working in one myself). For example, Worley Parson, Transfield, etc. are outperforming the market quietly. I have exposure to the giant US engineering service companies, and they have done well too.

Yes, Worleys been good for me too. From $18 to circa $47 in a year. Havn't looked at Transfield ...hmmmm

How can you not make money in this market?

not just LEI, anything to do with engineering service are and will do well in medium term (I'm working in one myself). For example, Worley Parson, Transfield, etc. are outperforming the market quietly. I have exposure to the giant US engineering service companies, and they have done well too.

Well income wise it is real good as it is dividend paying time at this time of year. Shareprice growth wise looking not so great as you have to subtract the dividend from the price and therefore I am not in profit but longterm will be fine and I am not losing anything by holding.

For anyone interested, checkout the FXI financial announcement. Scroll down to the list of top 20 investors and Les & I are number 1. Peter Spann is going to pay us a lovely dividend shortly of nearly 37k plus franking credits. :cool:

Back