cost of maintaining a Ferrari?

Merovingian said:
Well, I am 20, and I now realise that any job will not give me a $200,000 income...

Dude,

My wife is 27 and earns $110k, 5 years after graduating from a computer science degree. A female friend is 27, did the same computer science degree and earns $250k as a software expert for HP Openview in the UK. A mate of mine is also 27, is an actuary and earns $140k.

My dad never earned more than $50k, my mum never more than $40k, so I always thought any more than $50k is big money. Yet here I am at 27 earning $80k with a job that's no stress and no overtime...

Back on topic, can I say I hate this thread. It's made me remember how much I used to drool over the 355 Spider's. I've researched them again for the first time in about 8 or so years. :)

Sailesh Channan said:
With sales you control your destiny.
Actually Sailesh, people in many professions believe - rightly or wrongly - that their profession allows them to control their destiny.

However in practice the majority of people don't control their own destinies.

It's not because of their choice of vocation, it's because they give up control of their own lives, entrusting them to the hands of others.....I trust you to pay me what I am worth, I trust you to provide a safe and enjoyable workplace.

For some reason we've built a culture where most people feel they need employers more than the employers need them. This was built on the industrial revolution - before then most people got along through self-employment (and 'employers' used different tools to disempower their workers).

You don't control your destiny until you exercise the decision to control it, regardless of the activities you do to earn income - and you must re-exercise this decision every day.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Cost of service

OK - the Rarri cost $1,400 for it's 12 month service.
I am taking it for a quick run around Tassie over Easter so I had them check everything and change all fluids etc regardless, plus there were a couple of maintainence issues that they needed to sort out so while probably a lot more than the average car (but actually LESS than the cost of the last service on my BMW X5), I thought quite reasonable.
They had it for 2 full days and it has come back this morning with a nice leather wallet sitting on the seat as a gift.
Plus they came and picked it up and delivered it back.
>Sorry to be back "on topic"<
:)

Pete,

Back on topic is good (not to diminish Acey's excellent post). Thanks for helpful info.

Mate, for a car costing of the order of half a million dollars, the service costs for the work done are really insignificant. Good to know; I previously had no idea.

I'm thinking now that a secondhand car may not be the way to go. Maybe bit the bullet and buy a new one. Which will be new territory for me - and it mightn't be for a couple of years - and will prompt new questions. Guess I'll learn about that in the next year or two.

I don't fully understand why low km in a Ferrari are like high km in a more common car. But if that is how it is, that is how it is. Nature of the beast. I'd have thought a V8 motor like a Ferrari would be good for 150,000km no worries. So either, they are revved a lot and don't last as long - which I can understand - or it is just low mileage is important for the resale value of extremely prestigious sports cars. Maybe a bit of both.

I can imagine with your enthusiasm for the marque that you might have two Ferraris. So you could still drive a lot and not build up too many km in one. Or if you were really attached to a particular model (car, of course!) you could keep it for years regardless of the fact that you might clock up 150,000km.

Again, thanks for firing up my dreams & motivation.

regards,

Glebe said:
My wife is 27 and earns $110k, 5 years after graduating from a computer science degree. A female friend is 27, did the same computer science degree and earns $250k as a software expert for HP Openview in the UK. A mate of mine is also 27, is an actuary and earns $140k.

Wow. I just completed a Computer Science degree. :eek:

Not sure whether that should make me happy or sad... There seems to be next to squat out there for graduates... :(

Meh... :eek:

Aceyducey said:
Actually Sailesh, people in many professions believe - rightly or wrongly - that their profession allows them to control their destiny.

I agree. If the high-income salesperson is sacked, (lets say because the company went bust), then they're stuffed. Hence, they're not in control of their destiny.

Acey's right again... ;) :D

Pete,

It sounds like this thread is motivating you to attain a new level of wealth. Live large, go for it :)

Glebe.

Addicted? Yeah, pretty close to accurate.

I stayed back in the office til 7.30 (after a late meeting finished at 6.30).

Did you see the photos of the 360 that crashed a couple of years ago in South Australia? Whoops!

MMMMMM, nice car Glebe.

Can you believe its 13 years old and only has 3800km on the clock though? What a waste!! I think I'd have to go along with Peter and say, its no use having it if you're not oing to drive it.

:p :p :p :p :p

another little story......

Today started out as just another Thursday here in sleepy Ulverstone. Three of us went out this morning and were on the way back to the office when one of the others says, 'Hmmmm, that's a nice looking car. What is it?' I replied that it looked like a Ferrari as i could see the prancing horse on the rear end.

Then it clicked. 'Hey, Peter Spann mentioned on the forum that he was coming to Tassie over easter.' I mentioned that to the others. As we approached I saw the NSW plates.

We parked and started walking back to the office checking out the car as we went. I looked across the street and :eek: their he was!!! He crossed the road toward the gleaming red beauty and went to get in, a lovely lady about to get in the passenger side.

Being the shy person I am, I went over and said 'Peter Spann, how are you??' and shook his hand. I was as surprised as anything when he called me by name. I then realised i had my name badge on. lol :rolleyes: I was still impressed that he'd picked it up so quick.

I explained I was SOS off the Somersoft forums. Being the gentleman he is, he came over to the footpath and introduced me to his 'Beautiful friend', Leisl.

By this time i was feeling a little starstruck. I felt like a teenager that had met his idol and was almost lost for words. (I'm only 40 I spose :p )

Well, what more can i say? I wasn't expecting it and it certainly made my day.

Afterward i wished I had of asked to have my pic taken with them, after all, Peter has had his pic taken with others including Michael Shumacher. And I was kicking myself that i didn't have his books with me to get him to sign them. Well, I really must grow up I spose but damn, I was wrapped. :D

And BTW, the Ferrari was nice too. Would have loved to have gone for a lap round the block, even as a passenger, but hey, get real SOS!! :cool:

Cheers :D

:p :p :p :p :p

I must confess I think performance sports cars are the best slimming pills on the market. Prior to buying my Porsche I was driving a BMW, and having spent 2 years in London prior to that and enjoying those fine English puddings, I had become quite a rather large boy (fortunately I managed to get those excess kilos off but hey that's another story). Anyway the BMW didn't do anything for making me look slimmer but ahh the Porsche. When you slip into one of those things (and im sure its the same for Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, etc) the weight just slides off and you emerge from it a handsome looking Brad Pritt (well not really but the number of attractive women that approach you would make you think so). Now instead of spending all your hard earned money on diets that don't work, eating carrots all day long and spending fortunes on gyms and personal trainers wouldnt it be better to invest those dollars and purchase a high performance sports car. That way you get the same effect. Look better to the opposite sex, have great fun and can enjoy those wonderful English puddings.

Motto : Enjoy Life !! We only get one chance at it.

Pete said:
Magic, Sultan. Makes Tassie seem like a really tiny place. This Easter will be one I'll remember - bought a 328 GTS yesterday. :)

Awesome!!!!!

Congratulations man. Got any photos? :)

How does she feel? Getting reactions from people?

Pete said:
Magic, Sultan. Makes Tassie seem like a really tiny place. This Easter will be one I'll remember - bought a 328 GTS yesterday. :)

Congrats Pete!! Echoing Glebe, that is aaaawesome!!!!!!! And don't be afraid to have a boast from time to time and post some pics too.

It may make Tassie sound like a small place but its not as small as some think. I think that's what surprised me more than anything. Ulverstone is often overlooked on the tourist map and nothing too exciting happens here too often.

In light of posts made in this thread, I think that's why I was so shocked and stunned to see Peter parked literally outside our office in the main street of town. Incidently, he's also the first forumite I've met face to face too. And to add to it, I'd just bought one of his books* I hadn't read just a few days earlier and have just started reading it. All this contributed to me being totally gobsmacked. :p

Anyway, I don't care how teenagerish it sounds, it made my day. :D

Cheers :cool:

*From Broke to Multi-Millionaire in just 7 Years.
I'm half way through it and I'd recommend it as its light reading and full of gems.

red colour, BTW

Thanks Glebe & Sultan. No photos yet. Contract is signed; I'll collect the car later this week. I have to deliver payment, arrange insurance, etc. At the end of this week I'll be doing some more driving. Yeeeeeeha :D

Looks superb, IMO. Performance & handling feel cart-like. With the motor just behind your head, the engine noise is pleasantly intrusive. Brakes grip strongly (thankfully). Acceleration I'm yet to explore - it seemed not too different to my V8 Holden automatic though I really haven't driven it enough, nor well enough, to know. Certainly it is adequate. Engine capacity 3185cc. Front of car disappears from driver's view so will be very careful parking it until more familiar.

It is the realisation of a longheld dream - one that I could well have kept as only a dream even though it was easily realisable - and somehow still seems unreal. [I wonder if that is something to do with self worth/confidence?] In fact, it hasn't been that difficult to achieve. We have so much potential within ourselves.

My thanks to many on the forum who have written encouraging words especially about realising dreams and enjoying the journey - Peter Spann and Steve Navra immediately spring to mind and there are many, many others.

I intend to drive the car a bit. Say 10,000km per year; I may well be posting less on the forum in future!

:)

Back