How much to tell the kids/rellos/friends about your IP's?

The poor issue is interesting.

While I think Australia is one of the luckiest country's in the world with oppertunity for all, I do think the comment that there is 'no excuse' for being poor a little simplistic.

Now most people could better themselves if they knew how to or applied themselves - HOWEVER there are IMHO exceptions to this.

From personal experience, I come from a family that barely survived below the poverty line, for a portion of my childhood. My parents had six kids, all of us under 12yrs (I was 10) - so mum had to stay home and look after us. My father lost his job and spent the next 6 months trying to get a new one - he was willing to do anything, and did take whatever job was available. He was 'overqualified' for most things and had a university education. We didn't even have enough money to move to another town where he might possibly get employment. Our family was for a time supported by charities, and I remember my mother crying herself to sleep at night, and the neighbours giving us bread and milk because my parents couldn't afford to buy any. The only reason we had a roof over our heads was because the government was able to put us in a housing commision house. My parents didn't stay poor (they certainly aren't now ;) ). BUT they certainly were poor through no fault of there own.

Another circumstance, my uncle done the most incredibly stupid thing EVER - he drove home drunk from the pub one night - only he had an accident on the way (thank god no-one else was involved). He was in a coma for months before he woke up. He needed 24hr round the clock care. My aunty was a SAHM with 4 kids under 4, no job, no propects of a job (tiny country town in rural QLD) and as a result had to rely on local charity. She was poor, again through no fault of her own. When her kids got older she was able to get back on her feet.

It is all good for those in the city to say 'get a job or move where there is work', but in reality some people live in communities where there is no work and do not have enough money to afford even the petrol to get them to a place where work is an option, or may physically / mentally not be able to hold down a paying job.

Sure, Gerkin, point taken. There is always an excuse for being poor.

Sorry that you decided to judge me, though - you know nothing about me but have decided that I have a 'middle class' point of view. Great, that's a step up for me!

Hey, Gerkin, I am Working Class. If I don't work I don't eat. Investments can take the girl out of the working class but can't take the working class out of the girl.

The Australian Middle Class with it's oh-so-boring work ethic has made this Country, in 200 short years, what it is.

Then again, no, I stand by what I said. There is no excuse for being poor.

Being disabled is not an excuse, it may be a limiting factor but it is not an excuse. The Poor we will always have with us. Being an alcoholic, a druggie? Sorry, but that's an excuse. My parents were from Geelong. My Mother's Father was killed in France and she grew up in a School of Industry. My Father's Parents died when he was seven.

My Husband's Parents were bombed in the Blitz and his Father flew in the Battle of Britain when he was 19.

They were Working Class, just like me.

We can all sit down and cry in our tea about how badly we have been treated, but I would rather just get on with it.

I was raised and trained to pay my own way. No excuses. I would be ashamed if I, or my children, were poor ..... particularly if we made excuses.

The best way to raise people out of poverty is not to give them pity or dispense feeble excuses, but to provide them with examples of how other people have made something for themselves and if they wish to do so, they can do it too.

Oh, and I have done my share of volunteer work, too Gerkin. I have seen the Real Australia - if you call a very small percentage of the population who have genuine problems the Real Australia.

I would rather think we are The Lucky Country, and would like to think that the efforts of myself, my family and my children help to grow this Lucky Country into an even more God-Blessed place to live.

Oh well, off to read 'Bourgeois for Dummies'. I have obviously been wrong up till now and should mend my ways!

Lotsa love
Kristine

bit odd that you changed your mind whilst writing this and that the trigger seemed to be the personal offence you took for being called middle class ?

I dont agree with or havent learned something from one of your posts for the first time.

Has anyone been to a school in St Mary's? Mt Druitt? My Nephew went to a school at St Mary's. What did they teach them? I really don't know but certainly not how to speak or write properly.

So when can we take resposibility for teaching ourselves? 14? 15?

I organised our Yr 12 Reunion and one of the girls is now a teacher at St Claire I think. The email she typed me was absolutely atrocious. I could not believe the spelling and grammar mistakes.

Sigh......I wasn't going to bite, but, sorry, I have to take issue with this.

Both of my Children have competed their High School years at Mt Druitt. They are both well educated, can read, write and speak intelligently. Many of the forumites have heard the youngest from time to time when she occasionally replies to threads.

I have found that the quality of some of the teachers has been better in this area than another area we lived in previously, and no, it was not a low-socially ecconomic area.

Teachers are not allowed to discipline students these days. Gone are the canes (thankfully, those things hurt):eek: and the teachers that rule with an iron fist. These days the teachers are fighting an uphill battle. If the kids learn no respect or discipline at home, how are the teachers to overcome this. They are not taught to spell either in the way that my generation was.(you have a spell checker for that).

The kids that want to do well out here, do do very well. This has nothing to do with how well off they are. It is primarily the parenting (or lack of it) that comes out at school, making it harder for those who are diligent students.

Back