I Feel This Forum Is Becoming Negative...I Don't Know If I Want To Come Back???

WM Man, just in case you didn't know - you can also "Ignore Member" on SS as well. Click on their user name, then near top right "Add ***** to your Ignore List."

Cheers
Steve

Yeah I am; but I don't have to be an a****** as well - the 2 don't go hand-in-hand.

Here we go again....what on earth have I said that would come to even being close to what you just called me ?

I mean come on people.....All I have stated is some views that go against what the majority of the other members feel. I have never called anybody an 'a******' or anything like that.

I'm just sticking to my views.......telling it like I think it is.

We still live in a democracy right ?

Stick around ....you might actually start to think for yourself (is this offensive again is it).

I feel the same way original poster,
I used to log on every time I was online but now find that some people here are very sad inside, I have a term for them "secret losers" not to sound negative myself but the term is very true when you think about what it means.
I still pop in from time to time, there are occasionally some good threads and Ive learned a bit from a few good, friendly, investors who seem to be good human beings.

I feel the same way original poster,
I used to log on every time I was online but now find that some people here are very sad inside, I have a term for them "secret losers" not to sound negative myself but the term is very true when you think about what it means.
I still pop in from time to time, there are occasionally some good threads and Ive learned a bit from a few good, friendly, investors who seem to be good human beings.

So I am 'bad' now am I.

Good God.......what is this prepatory school ?

WM Man,

You seem a sensitive, good natured person.

My advice is to take the occasional negative stuff you read on here with a grain of salt. All in all we're a good bunch. We don't require much moderation and we give more than we receive.

Cheer up.

WM, if you want to stop reading the forum, you are of course free to do so. I would say one thing: your investing life is not going to be one big endless blue sky either. Reading investment books usually means just getting the good news: it doesn't argue with you, but that's not reality.

I also agree that some posts have personal attacks (which I don't like) and negative views (which I DO enjoy reading, if they're well thought out). You're going to hit a LOT of negativity in your investing life, whether just comments from friends and family or actual setbacks from, say, gazumping, agents laughing at you, mortgage brokers saying you can't borrow any more, tenants trashing your place, etc.

Personally, I find that I strengthen my motivations for investing when I think through the negative posts (the ones that aren't personal) and come up with arguments against them.

In other words, if you leave this forum (and give up all the great resources and information you can get from it) just because there are a few negative posts and posters, you have to ask yourself: what will you do when you hit some bumps in your investing life for real?
Alex

Somersoft consists of members from all areas with differing views and levels of experience, this is something we have always encouraged. It makes Somersoft what it is.

But there are rules which must be adhered to, if you want continuing membership.

If I can bring your attention to the forum terms of use http://www.somersoft.com.au/forum_terms.htm in particular this section.
Forum terms of use said:
You subject yourself to possible suspension and/or termination from the Forum if you do any of the following:

Use the Forum for the publication of any material that is unlawful, harassing, libellous, invasive of another's privacy, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, improper or otherwise objectionable. Instead, be civil in your posts and be respectful of others views, irrespective of how stupid you might consider them to be.

If for any reason you find someone’s post objectionable please report it and it will be discussed and dealt with by the moderators. No reported posts are ignored and they are all taken seriously. Just click the triangle on top right hand side of the post. Its easy for the moderators to miss problem posts…….so please report them!! That way we can prevent threads such as this.

Ruby

Wman,
I think you should stay.
Despite MBL's sharp comments, I didn't find his posts offensive
Being different makes life interesting.
It would have been a boring world if we were all the same.
Did his comments worry you?
Perhaps they should, his comments made me think and this is a good thing.
There is no storm seen in the horizon atm but who knows?
IMO some of us should not overextend ourselves or we can easily become part of the statistics.
Property values in some areas have trippled in value since the last boom
Is this sustainable over the long term? I am not sure.
Should we be investing in those areas? I am not sure.
Something for us to think about.
Cheers

Hiya,

This is something that I've commented on a number of times in the last few months, perhaps a little harshly in one or two cases. It's also a topic that was discussed at some length between a handful of us at MIG this week.

I honestly believe this forum is not what it used to be. We have lost many valuable members, and I strongly believe more than a couple of these left due to such negativity.

It's all well and good to express your opinion. It's great that many people here are not afraid to step on someone's toes when something needs to be said. This in itself does add value to this community. Fundamentally, the way that the experienced and knowledgable members continue to freely provide advice and suggestions is absolutely fantastic.

However, the general attitude and culture on the forum is not as positive and friendly as it once was. There is soooo much petty bickering, so much b*llsh!t, so many double standards, and so much political crap going on behind the scenes.

Importantly though, there is nothing remotely close to the quality of this forum that I have come across to date. While I don't like some aspects of what is happening around here these days, I am willing to read what I can with an open mind. I am willing to accept that there is value and purpose to being here and contributing what little expertise I may have while trying to learn from those who know more than I do.

IMHO, Somersoft may no longer be at it's peak, but, it is still pretty damn good.

Cheers

James.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you trying to be a smarta""!!:p

Nah man, just being a straight shooter. I like you well enough, I reckon you should stay. 30 years old and two properties already, that's a fantastic effort. Just need to stop being a nancy boy and not take things people (with fake names, no less) say personally.

As the saying goes 'The internet is serious business'.

Mark

However, the general attitude and culture on the forum is not as positive and friendly as it once was. There is soooo much petty bickering, so much b*llsh!t, so many double standards, and so much political crap going on behind the scenes.
James please feel free to email me or any of the other mods over these concerns and we will see if we can sort them out. Or, if things haven’t been handled to your satisfaction previously we may be able to explain our actions.

I will add that….. no, Somersoft is not what it used to be. We now have over 1000 active posters, 6000 members and nearly 300,000 posts. It can’t stay the same, but that’s not to say it’s only a bad thing. More members mean more views and differing opinions, its only natural.

Sorry I missed your discussion at MIG last night, I probably could have added to it. Maybe next time!

Reactions: ani
Any forum is the sum of the current posters.........as is any group of people talking in the real world, so it will be different everyday.

SS is more negative now??? Is this just "I" disagree with more posters now?

The continual unrelenting posts about negativity are creating the negativity in my book.

And if anyone wants to leave, feel free. No need to announce it and expect the mass to go "oh no! please stay".

PS: The unpaid mods do a fantastic job overall. The admin and super mods particularly give many hours to keep it ticking over. Give them a break or we might have NO forum at all:(

Why were you assuming it was about you? Perhaps it was not directed at you at all. Your posts have created lots of entertainment and vigorous debate :D

Sorry watermellon man...I will be good and go away. I know this post is directly aimed at me.

Sorry to burst people's bubble guy's. It just saddens me that 'real estate investors' only want to here the positive and only want to be patted on the back.

Is this an ego thing ? I mean a dose of reality doesn't hurt once in a while. I mean come on people........

Is the purpose of this forum just to show how 'good' and smart you all are ?

I'm really sorry to say this but I feel this forum has become quite negative recently. Since I joined this forum almost 2 months ago, it has been really positive with different points of view & a huge range of great topics to choose from with a wealth of information; which has encouraged me to continue logging on daily to check out new stuff, etc; but recently over the past week; it's just been fighting between people; name calling; bickering; & overall it has made me think; WHY BOTHER COMING BACK??? I don't like conflict; especially conflict that goes on for days & days!!! I really appreciate the support, encouragement, & advice I've personally received for sharing with others; but I really don't know if I want to come back to the SS forum anymore. Sorry everyone; but to me it's not the same anymore as it was when I started almost 2 months ago. This is arguably the best investing forum around; but now who knows?? Very disappointing. :(
Watermelon Man,

Don't go. Trust me, I have (and been) upset by my fair share on here (and in other forums) mostly for my directness / "cut to the chase" comments. After a couple of years battling it out, I decided I had "a life" to get on with, and was spending way too much time worrying about trying to help a select few all the while maintaining a tune that EVERYONE could dance to, so I decided to keep my comments brief, minimising future outburst.

Well I've been so minimalistic in my posts, that I haven't bothered to make any for a while. That doesn't mean to say I haven't popped in and had a "sticky" at what has been going on.....I just prefer to sit quietly in the shadows.

Why not join me??? You can still read the posts, and every now and again put your 2c in, and if people bite at you, don't take it personally just let them be; they'll let up eventually.

SS is an excellent information resource for novice (and not so) people interested in property investment, so why dismiss it simply because a select few are not being kind. Life isn't kind, people can be cruel....but YOU have the POWER to either let them defeat you, or to IGNORE them and push ahead. In the end....you'll be the winner!!! ;) :D

Cheers,
Jo

I'm really sorry to say this but I feel this forum has become quite negative recently. :(

I dunno what the fuss is all about. I enjoy the controversy.

Negativity? Property was fairly negative in 97/98 or so after being flat for so long and tech shares were the go. It may be a contrarian indicator for smart investors if all these doom and gloomers are swamping the forum.

Plus, the more property bears out there, the less competition.

It's all good I reckon.

See ya's.

Watermelon Man,

This forum is great place of learning, you should try and stick around. I do find the posts around here nowadays not as informative as they were when I joined back in 2004, but all those old posts are still around, and well worth reading.

As Mark L. said, just pick and choose what you want to read. I may read 1 in 100 new threads these days.

MBL,

Is this an ego thing ?

No, just you're a ****

I mean a dose of reality doesn't hurt once in a while. I mean come on people........

Is the purpose of this forum just to show how 'good' and smart you all are ?

Mate, honestly, why are you here? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow,

Now that was a fun read!! :D Certainly made me have a chuckle first thing in the morning, thanks everyone!

And I agree that SS may not be quite what it was a few years back, but then again the property market in Oz isn't what it was a few years back either. When I first joined, there was heaps of threads about where the property wave was and which suburbs were likely to pick up next. It was all very exciting and there was little or no posts about over-inflated markets and potential downturns.

But that's the point, the wheel turns, and we're not where we were a few years ago. Mbl occassionally ;) makes a valid point and it would be prudent to at least understand his POV and what drives it. There's a lot of talk in greater investing circles about the "perfect storm" brewing that all investors should at least have an understanding of.

I reckon this is an awesome forum with an amazing bunch of people from all walks of life and spanning all demographics. I accept that the tone of the forum will move with the ebb and flow of the property market. I accept that a lot of Australia is flat at the moment and property generally is now over-bought. The equities market has had years of solid growth and is now at fair value and testing its limits. As has been pointed out on another thread it might almost be time to consider the "cash" cycle, but who knows. Its the discussion on that topic that I enjoy the most at the moment but gets little interest from most members here.

Just don't expect everything to always be rosey and for everybody to ALWAYS be upbeat about property (which is this forums reason for being). But in the fullness of time it will turn full circle.

Patience grasshopper...

;)
Michael.

Back