Ideas for Guests for future SIG Meetings wanted !!

Hi Guys,
Its been 2 years since I took over from Peter 147 and started organising the SIG Meetings.

In those 2 years , we have had a lot of guests that have given their time free (and graciously as well) - but I am finding it increasingly difficult to attract people to guest speak (and for free).

List of people we have had in last 2 years include :
Michael Yardney
Ed Chan and Tony Melvin
Peter Koulizos
The Reno Kings
Graham Wolfe
Phillip Anderson
Gary Rothwell
Dale GG

Also well know forumites such as Rolf , Depreciator , Simon and Julie , Grossreal and the Panel events (such as this coming one) - with a very big thanks to those forumites that have stepped up the front and answered those questions :D

So I am looking for :

1/ Ideas of people we could ask to guest speak. Interstate forumites , if you have suggestions please also advise me !!

Please note - I have tried these people but have had no luck getting them to either reply to me or find the time to come....

Bill Zheng
Bernard Salt
John Fitzgerald
John Edwards
Margaret Lomas
Rod Cornish

2/ Whether it would be worthwhile charging people who attend the meeetings - and thus be able to pay for guest speakers (and perhaps be able to attract more high profile people?). Difficult to say what the charge would be - maybe $10 if we had 50 people attend - I think $500 may get us someone like a John Edwards ??

I am also considering setting up a committee also (especially if we do start charging) , as I find that I rarely have the time these days to do this anymore .
Anyone who is keen to help , please talk to me on Monday night.

David

Hi Dave :)

Though I'm in the same boat as you (with very little leisure time on my hands these days) I'd just like to acknowledge the work and effort that you have put in to organising these SIG events over the last 2 yrs. Thanks for your input and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's appreciable :)
Great job and I hope that someone is able to take over from here and keep the momentum going here in our fair city!!

Thanks Jacque :) Your comments are appreciated.
I am not giving it up - just need a bit of a hand .:eek:
As you know (and Julie tells me) I am a little bit of a control freak :eek: and like to organise the dates of the meetings to fit in with the shifts that I work :) :)

G'day Perky,

With the current posts relating to Brenda and Les Irwin, it would be good to hear from them personally (maybe AFTER 31 October when Les retires). Yeah, I know their story is hidden in these forums, but it is always much better to hear directly from the people themselves.

And, if it involves a few extra dollars to invite inter-state people here, so be it. I'm happy to stump up within reason to hear from successful people.

Regards,

Perky,

Firstly thanks for all your efforts organising these events. I thinking charging a fee to either cover airfares from interstate members or pay for speakers is a great idea.

Also the panel ones are great and there are plenty of people from the forum.

Few Ideas -

Ron Forlee

I don't know if there's any ideas here.

Obviously, Sydney has a larger pool of talent than Hobart.

Have you tried NickM (Nick Moustacas)- a trust expert? You haven't mentioned Steve Navra or forumite Jacques. Maybe Sim' could present something on running Somersoft?

Or even Jan or Ian Somers?

Maybe there's nothing there which could happen- but you can only ask.

I can make myself available.

But I only fly first class and stay in 5 star hotels, I will also need to have a 7 day stay to recover from the gruelling flight.
Perky I will PM you my list of items I will be requiring during my stay.

Look forward to seeing you all.

As a second choice I would recommend Martin Ayles, I heard him speak at an AREIG meeting about a year ago and left absolutely gob smacked.

As a second choice I would recommend Martin Ayles, I heard him speak at an AREIG meeting about a year ago and left absolutely gob smacked.
Martin Ayles has a property development DVD set to sell. People who have something to sell like that can be excellent people to speak. Especially when the product they are selliung is very good.

From a Melbournite - my two bobs worth:

With the recent changes to superannuation why not get someone in to explain the new rules? Plus Centrelink have been pushing that the new asset rules change in September, they may come in free. I realise that most SIG Members won't be able to get the pension but the information is always useful.

Chris

G'day Perky,

With the current posts relating to Brenda and Les Irwin, it would be good to hear from them personally (maybe AFTER 31 October when Les retires). Yeah, I know their story is hidden in these forums, but it is always much better to hear directly from the people themselves.

And, if it involves a few extra dollars to invite inter-state people here, so be it. I'm happy to stump up within reason to hear from successful people.

Regards,
I am trying to organize for Les & I to attend the Sydney Easter show during Thurs 20 March to 2 April to show my dog.
If it all comes together we would love to attend a SIG meet but the dog would have to also attend as he gets severe separation anxiety if I leave him anywhere. That's why we'd drive down to Sydney as air travel in a crate would just about do his head in.

Perky,

how about a few just social nights without speakers (at the existing location as it's obviously accessible by most)?

alot of us would benefit just as much from that....

maybe even, we could each get up and introduce ourselves quickly so that everyone can put a face to a name to a nick and do a one minute spiel about our specialties or whatever.....could be quite fun actually!

just a thought...

Last edited:
I also enjoy the social gatherings. It would be great if we would organise some more? I went to the MIG one back in June and it was great to just get together and have a few drinks.
Alex

maybe even, we could each get up and introduce ourselves quickly so that everyone can put a face to a name to a nick and do a one minute spiel about our specialties or whatever.....could be quite fun actually!

just a thought...

What a great idea... Then everyone knows whos who and should spark some conversation etc etc ;-)

Joanna , Frank and Alex,
Thats the plan for the December one - to have a social one again (like we did last XMAS) and get the pub to cater again . Sound ok?

In between , I would like to have one more guest gathering - late Oct or early November.

Martin Ayles does sound very interesting :)

Geoffw - we had Peter Spann 3 years ago - would love to have him back if he would answer my messages!! I have tried to get Ian and Jan Somers to no avail.

Brenda - would love to have you as a guest speaker if you dont mind in April?
Maybe make it a short 1 hour one - or less - and more networking time if you want?

David

Maybe make it a short 1 hour one - or less - and more networking time if you want?

Personally I feel they all need to be short (including panel events) with more networking time. People generally have a short attention span and anything longer gets people tired and bored. I think they need to start a bit earlier as well (say 6.45pm for a 7.00pm start).

Perky,

Martin is from Adelaide, he does a few seminars etc. with Steve McKnight so you may be able to find his contact details on PI.com.
Otherwise contact Xenia she may have them or know someone who does.

Back