Investing on a low income

I find the best way to save was to move back home. It was a major sacrafice on our part and we also couldn't be more grateful to the parents. There were times when we were desperate for privacy so would stay overnight in a city hotel or a short weekend away which we could easily afford with the savings we made.

But whether it be donuts, moving back home etc you need to make sacrifices....just think of the big picture and the biggest reward.

I started property investing in 2002 at 22y.o building approx 1 property a year and we now have close to $2mil gross worth...wished it was net worth though. Also, you take home more money than my hubby. We are considered low income earners. The income part doesn't really bother us. It really depends on your savings habits and how you can budget. A low income earner can possibly save more than a high income earner if the high income lives like a king and blows all his money.

You should play Robert kiyosaki's cashflow game.....the low income earner 9 out of 10 times can get out of the rat race earlier than the high income earners.

I guess my message is don't be deterred being on low income.

My sil is an avid saver. Her husband earns around what you do and they are on a single income with a child yet they can afford an overseas trip back home to UK every year when my other professional friends on $50k+ a year can't even do that because they have too many bad debts.

Another way to save is to know your tax. You can even claim tax back for dry cleaning so keep all your receipts. Try to get back all your tax at the end of tax year and you will already have half your deposit.

Don't recommend this for obtaining more loans to buy more property. Bank calculators don't like it when you enter too many numbers in the children section!!!

Yeah I agree...that isn't a very good advice in terms of trying to borrow money! the more kids you have the less you can borrow. So just understand from a bank's point of view and work towards that goal. There are a few bankers on here. I am from a lending and finance background.

The expenses don't even matter that much as they don't need to be declared. We never declare anything when we know that we can afford the nagtively geared portion.

You could get an IP as early as 6 mths if you can show consistent savings for 6 mths, your wife gets a part time job, FHOG and source a lender that can lend 90% to 105% and an IP that's close to neutrally geared and cashflow positive. Actually, you could afford an IP now but I don't think you are in good position with the banks. You will need to work on that a bit first.

Just 'disown' the kids for a week :D

Great Effort re working out your Savings Joffa, I also second the recommendation for Reading "The Richest Man in Babylon", plus some of Noel Whittakers Books such as "Making Money Made Simple", cost you nothing apart from a walk to your local Library

Additionally; I'd also make contact with a Mortgage Broker to see where you currently stand, then you'll know where you need to be

All the Best

I'll third reading the richest man in Babylon. It's a great read as it uses stories rather than just dry information. The lessons in it are fantastic as well. The main message from it which I'll reiterate is pay yourself first.

Good luck!

It's a fantastic book and in my honest opinion the lessons it teaches should be taught in every school in australia. But thats another rant for another day :)

It's a fantastic book and in my honest opinion the lessons it teaches should be taught in every school in australia. But thats another rant for another day :)

I agree Seany,

I rekon that this book is much more informative than Macbeth, and yet its still written in old English so could be used as an English Text!!!

Regards Jason.

Back