Meet the sandwich generation

Multi-Generational Living, the way of the future or a glimpse into the past?

Meet the sandwich generation - Perth homes redesigned for extended families

471866-multi-generational-housing.jpg

PERTH homes are being redesigned to suit the needs of the "sandwich generation".

It's a term coined for houses tailored to accommodate three adult generations from the same family under one roof parents, older children saving for their own property and grandparents.

Designs can include a U-shape layout that ensures bedrooms for each generation are as far apart as possible and put common communal areas, such as the kitchen, outside.

Ms Spencer said she thought multi-generational housing was the way of the future.

"In the present, our home will help my ageing parents," she said. "If something happens to one of my parents, the other will have support and assistance if needed.

"Into the far future, if our children can't afford their own home or aren't able to rent, we will be able to offer them somewhere to live without cramping their style."

In the US

According to the 2000 Census, nearly four million (3.9 million) American households consist of three or more generations living together. Seventy-eight thousand households nationwide consist of four generations. Since 1990, the number of multi-generational families grew by approximately 60 percent.

There are even some stories or 4 generations under one roof

saw the floor plan of the dale alcock's 3 generation house mentioned in the article. nothing special. similar to those builders offering two separate living areas homes.

Multi-Generational Living, the way of the future or a glimpse into the past?

Meet the sandwich generation - Perth homes redesigned for extended families

471866-multi-generational-housing.jpg

Hay, I recognise one of our very own forumites in that photo.. nice shot mate :)

How does the teenage boy look asian with a family like that? :)
He looks part Spanish/Latino, or Greek/Italian to me - so does his Mum.

Quote:
According to the 2000 Census, nearly four million (3.9 million) American households consist of three or more generations living together. Seventy-eight thousand households nationwide consist of four generations. Since 1990, the number of multi-generational families grew by approximately 60 percent.
This is quite common for the South American part of the population - and many of the Asian.

Typically, the South American/Mexican part are at the poorer end of the scale, and in places like L.A it is impossible to be a lower income employee and afford to live anywhere other than a dumpster.

I wonder how many fit retirees would give up their home to move in with their kids and grandchildren?

I know of only 1 family where this has happened but the grandmother had never owned a home {rented a unit in a block in her late years as she couldn't afford a house}.

Daughter bought a house with a granny flat and had her pay some of her pension to help pay for the mortgage.

Rixter who is the forumite?

I wonder how many fit retirees would give up their home to move in with their kids and grandchildren?

I know of only 1 family where this has happened but the grandmother had never owned a home {rented a unit in a block in her late years as she couldn't afford a house}.

Daughter bought a house with a granny flat and had her pay some of her pension to help pay for the mortgage.

Rixter who is the forumite?

I was thinking the same, I don't know of too many retiree's who want to move in with their children. Likewise too many children who want their parents to move in with them! :p

I was thinking the same, I don't know of too many retiree's who want to move in with their children. Likewise too many children who want their parents to move in with them! :p

That's because they got rid of the kids in their 60's - start having kids early to mid 30's, last kid moves out of home late 20's.

I bet the poor grandmothers gets stuck with all the cooking, cleaning and babysitting while the ol' pops the gardening and yard work.

Hmm... why didn't I think of this :D.

Btw, not trying to offend the forumite whose household this is. I honestly think this is great if it works.

In theory this sounds perfect, everyone helping each other, nice and rosie, but the reality is IMO it would be an absolute disaster.

I just can not see this type of arrangement working in the real world.

What would happen if one of the older members required full time nursing care but would not move, you end the f/t carer, no thanks.

A friend of mine built a large house like that. Kitchen, living in the middle and bedrooms up one end. You walked through the middle via a door and there was another living area and bedrooms. He son was divoreced and moved into the other section with his daughter.

A single lady I know had elderly parents (only child). She built a second story on top of her parents home, designed as a self contained unit and lived in that. She paid a small rent, thus helping out the parents.

In theory this sounds perfect, everyone helping each other, nice and rosie, but the reality is IMO it would be an absolute disaster.

I just can not see this type of arrangement working in the real world.

What would happen if one of the older members required full time nursing care but would not move, you end the f/t carer, no thanks.

We've done it in the past, worked very well. I would alsp happily have my folks live with me in the future. We are very close though.

When I was younger we had 4 of us, my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins and 2 grandparents in 1 house.

With this sort of arrangement there could be more squabbles and fights

Absolutely, my g/mother lived next to my aunty, the properties had a high picket fence and gate at rear so easy access for each to visit whenever they fancied etc.

My G/mother had a fight with the SIL, the gate was swiftly removed and replaced with pickets, no more rear access.... moral to the story, don't live near your relatives, recipe for disaster

We've done it in the past, worked very well. I would alsp happily have my folks live with me in the future. We are very close though.

When I was younger we had 4 of us, my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins and 2 grandparents in 1 house.

Sanj,

Glad that it works for your family, however I seriously think this would be very rare. Consider 50% of the population divorce, what hope do you think the extended family would have???

I also have close family network, but I would not be able to deal with this environment.

MTR:)

Back