Most annoying Americanisms that Aussies simply must follow

Only if you do that hand sign with two open hands forming a T.
Another annoying Americanism is all those stupid hand signs the gang-bangers use...

It's crept into the kids' culture here as well.

And another; the friggin pants crotch and waistband down around mid-thigh.

We hear them all the time, and for some stupid reason a large proportion of Aussies think it's cool and hip to copy the Americans in every way...having lived there; much of it is K-rap.

How about come up with our own identity and way of life?

Here are my personal all-time hates;

1. My bad
2. 24/7
3. You know what...
4. Anything to do with Gangbanger/rap fashion and dialogue.."Yo; waddup?", etc
5. "Bro's and Ho's" music videos
6. Git outta here
7. Oh, My God!
8. Saying "I love you" to complete strangers and very recently met people - especially in front of large audiences.
9. Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout

Then switch off, its your choice. One cannot be responsible for the masses, but one can control one's own individual pathways.

I don't have a facebook account, I don't have internet banking, I don't have twitter, in fact I don't have so many of the 'modern' essentials. Some reasons are due to privacy, some are due to security (especially bank accounts).

But one thing I will hand to the USA:
they do provide 'change' and its often targeted at increased
(a) lifestyle
(b) increased use of capital efficiency.

(b) is of interest to me. My new business directions are all based on this.

Then switch off, its your choice.

You don't have to be online or even turn on TV to hear the americanisms creeping into our speech, our way of life. Just walk down the street, or hang out near some adolescents.

You don't have to be online or even turn on TV to hear the americanisms creeping into our speech, our way of life. Just walk down the street, or hang out near some adolescents.
"You know what?"....Exactly.:D

But it's not even just the adolescents; loads of 28-50 year old tv types, sports stars, celebs etc are spewing out the stuff....and now folks here on this site.

Come on, people; don't follow the bloody crowd.

IV tells me to switch off - most of the tv I watch is prerecorded and none of the usual "entertainment menu" being spewed out of the studios...."Chicago Fire" and all similar garbage - when was the last time you saw even one (let alone two) absolutely perfect female 25 year old fireys - and in one station? pfft.

And "you know what?"; don't start me on the reality stuff.

Mostly sport and news for me, Grand Designs a few doccos now and then, and the odd thriller movies - mostly the English ones...far more "real"...all prerecorded to avoid the ads.

Last edited:
My father comes up with some excellent old Australian sayings every now and then. I always ask the reference behind those and show a special interest, due to the sayings being lost or swamped, under this tidal wave of US verbal nonsense.

The Big 3

Like............used at least 8 times in every sentence. I never listen to the other words.
Whatever....a very rude and dismissive term that needs to be slapped down every time, especially when 9 and 10 yr old children say that to their parents whilst staring at some screen and dismissing them out of hand.
Cool............the most moronic and overused descriptor. A real vocab destroyer.

I'm noticing in the under 15's here in Perth a distinctive American (Californian accent) sprinkled into their language. The massive bombardment they've endured with babysitting programmes such as anything from Pixar and other Hollywood studios, followed up with tidal waves of mobile phones at 8 and online bullying at 11 and sexting at 13, all vainly trying to emulate the bereft and mostly uneducated US celebrities they idolise.....frankly it's no wonder.

It's very sad to see Australian children sitting in their bedrooms for hours upon hours, endlessly checking their online status to see if someone has actually done anything at all, when in reality the vast majority of their friends are obviously doing the same thing, simply sitting there doing the same thing.

I've tried to actively resist the massive US tidal onslaught as well Marc. Made myself unpopular in the process but I don't care. Our youngish still forming culture is being drowned in a vapid baseless image is everything starefest that is rendering our children not only obese, but without any robustness at all.

Take the "technology" away from the kids for any length of time and they go weird. Try and teach them how to tie knots whilst lashing a trailer, try teaching them how to change a tyre, try teaching them how to build a successful fire, try to teach them anything about a car except where to plug in their iphone and you'll get this bored vacant look.

Most Aussie kids know what happened to JFK. Most Aussie kids don't know what happened to Holt.

I've just about given up trying to resist the US tidal surge, sweeping all before it. For me, it's very depressing. I see the insidious nature of it's tentacles every day.....and it'll get far worse before it gets better.

MTR, it's not 'mam', it's 'ma'am' as in madam. It's a polite reference for addressing a female. Age has nothing to do with it.

According to the dictionary; ma'am - a woman of refinement. You don't wish to be seen as a woman of refinement?

Would you prefer 'Oi, woman!', lol.

When meeting a female member of the Royal family you are instructed to call them "Mam as in Ham not Maam as in Harm" - If its the Royals it must be right!!:D

It's very sad to see Australian children sitting in their bedrooms for hours upon hours, endlessly checking their online status to see if someone has actually done anything at all, when in reality the vast majority of their friends are obviously doing the same thing, simply sitting there doing the same thing.

I've tried to actively resist the massive US tidal onslaught as well Marc. Made myself unpopular in the process but I don't care. Our youngish still forming culture is being drowned in a vapid baseless image is everything starefest that is rendering our children not only obese, but without any robustness at all.

Take the "technology" away from the kids for any length of time and they go weird. Try and teach them how to tie knots whilst lashing a trailer, try teaching them how to change a tyre, try teaching them how to build a successful fire, try to teach them anything about a car except where to plug in their iphone and you'll get this bored vacant look.

Emphasis is mine.

I think the points that Dazz has touched upon here are some massive, massive issues that society is facing which are presently lurking beneath the surface or not being appreciated for the real problem that they are.

I'm not a 48 year old Dad who's spent most of his life without the internet, I'm 25 so have grown up having my social circle "online". I was hooked from a young age and still struggle with bad habits that were established in this time.

Based on my experiences and personal reflections, I wholeheartedly believe that the way a majority of Under-30's, and an increasing number of over 30's, use the internet and social networking in an unhealthy way with unforseen issues to mental health (the physical issues are a bit easier to spot).

I won't bother to go in to detail, just wanted to add a very hearty "hear-hear" to Dazz's points

I've recently found that this is helping my daughters.

They have a very active face to face social life- and both have spent several years just travelling the world. So they have a life away from the connected world.

However, they have never been good readers. My youngest barely read books at all at school, much to my disappointment.

However, the time they are spending at the screen appears to have made them a lot more comfortable with the written word.

The youngest one has, for the first time, started reading books just for pleasure. I'm certainly doing my best to encourage that.

Redundant language...

What's the difference between a "Picture Postcard" and a "Postcard"? Are there postcards without pictures?

Why are thieves called "Sneak Thieves"?... I would have thought most thieves are sneaky.

Why dramatise car theft as "Grand Theft Auto"?

Must admit I rather like the expression "Counsellor" for lawyer...as in "What's your opinion Counsellor?"

Try and teach them how to tie knots whilst lashing a trailer, try teaching them how to change a tyre, try teaching them how to build a successful fire, try to teach them anything about a car except where to plug in their iphone and you'll get this bored vacant look.

My grandad taught me how to tie down a load using proper truckies knots when I was a bored teenager. It is a skill that I retained to this day and have tied down countless loads. There is something very satisfying about a well tied down load. He also taught me a lot about cars and I helped him re-build my engine when I was in my early twenties. I can still diagnose a fault with a car based on the sound of the car (trying to start or run) and the other symptoms. I got into it with a mechanic the other day when my fuel pump carked it and the mechanic insisted it was not the fuel pump. I took the car to a good mechanic and asked them to diagnose the problem and fix it... diagnosis came back fuel pump.

Those kids won't feel so smart when they are stuck somewhere with a flat tyre at night waiting for roadside assist. My dad taught all my brothers and sisters how to change a tyre. It's an essential skill that everyone should know.

My grandad taught me how to tie down a load using proper truckies knots when I was a bored teenager. It is a skill that I retained to this day and have tied down countless loads. There is something very satisfying about a well tied down load. He also taught me a lot about cars and I helped him re-build my engine when I was in my early twenties. I can still diagnose a fault with a car based on the sound of the car (trying to start or run) and the other symptoms. I got into it with a mechanic the other day when my fuel pump carked it and the mechanic insisted it was not the fuel pump. I took the car to a good mechanic and asked them to diagnose the problem and fix it... diagnosis came back fuel pump.

Those kids won't feel so smart when they are stuck somewhere with a flat tyre at night waiting for roadside assist. My dad taught all my brothers and sisters how to change a tyre. It's an essential skill that everyone should know.

Mmm definitely the kids are part to blame and I agree that these are essential skills, but as I like to remind many people who are in their 30's-60's, children today are growing up in a world where billions of dollars is being spent on keeping them hooked on these trivial entertainment systems.

"Back in my day we just went out to the park..."

That's because back in the day you didn't have video games, which are developed with the help of millions of dollars and psychologists, to be made as addictive as possible. Because you keep playing and keep paying. These games target humans when their judgement/foresight is usually most poor (childhood years), and many of the services (facebook/computer/video games) can't be obtained without parental support (at least prior to 15 years old when a kid can get their own job).

It's an issue we all need to look at resolving, instead of just looking at kids today, clicking our tongues and saying "back in my day".

Mmm definitely the kids are part to blame and I agree that these are essential skills, but as I like to remind many people who are in their 30's-60's, children today are growing up in a world where billions of dollars is being spent on keeping them hooked on these trivial entertainment systems.

That's because back in the day you didn't have video games, which are developed with the help of millions of dollars and psychologists, to be made as addictive as possible. Because you keep playing and keep paying. These games target humans when their judgement/foresight is usually most poor (childhood years), and many of the services (facebook/computer/video games) can't be obtained without parental support (at least prior to 15 years old when a kid can get their own job).

It's an issue we all need to look at resolving, instead of just looking at kids today, clicking our tongues and saying "back in my day".
I know that "back in my day" is not a solution but it is one step in identifying the cause of problems. You are also wrong about computer games. I'm in my 40's but I started programming and playing computer games in primary school. Because of my computer skills, I got my first job when I was 15 (in computers) while still at high school. I still had plenty of time to play outside. One passtime was cycling to the local bush and making cubby houses.

Anyway, some people are looking at addressing the problem http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5362...-auckland-swanson-primary-school-bullying.htm

As a father of a 12 year old who has a massive crack at XBox whenever he can - and is pretty good at it - whenever we say get off and find something else to do he can and does.

He recently had over a month "holiday" from all technology for improper behaviour using said technology, and he did miss it for a day or so, but after that he moved on to the next thing.

Despite his XBox obsession, he has recently found an interest in cricket, and even golf.

So, there is still hope for the kids yet.

The trick is to manage their usage, and keep a balance in their lives.

I don't see a problem with it; it (video games) may be the direction my son goes in which might find him a career that will be his passion an make him lots of money as a bonus.

And; he plays all the "M" rated games at aged 12. Some parents will be horrified to hear this, but I make sure he knows the difference between reality and a stupid dude on a killing spree in GTAV, Call of Duty and so on...he knows it's all a game.

Back