Next Interest Rate Movement down?

So you think rates should go down...

And you have no confidence in the reserve bank...

And you think they have got it wrong in the past...

But this time they will get it right and decrease rates???

It is Glenn Stevens who I have no confidence in....he is probably wanting devine intervention....or maybe he is enjoying his $1m salary (more than Exchequer or Chairman of the Fed).

....previously under Ian McFarlane they did a pretty stellar job...

Yes, the RBA will be forced to act to cut rates.....I don't think they have quite got a grasp on the underlying trend yet...time will tell.

If they don't we may have situation similar to 1989...where the RBA continued to raise rates to quel inflation and destroyed the economy!

In either case...I am prepared.....but have hedged for a rate cut later this year.

So you think rates should go down...

And you have no confidence in the reserve bank...

And you think they have got it wrong in the past...

But this time they will get it right and decrease rates???

Yes, the RBA will be forced to act to cut rates.....I don't think they have quite got a grasp on the underlying trend yet...time will tell.

If they don't we may have situation similar to 1989...where the RBA continued to raise rates to quel inflation and destroyed the economy!

In either case...I am prepared.....but have hedged for a rate cut later this year.

I think you'll find that with inflation rising globally, that raising interest rates is exactly what the RBA will need to do, regardless of where the economy is.

I'd say rates will be at least 0.5% higher by this time next year.

Either way, it's good. If the rates go up, then people in the property market get crunched more, so prices are likely to fall back. If rates drop from this low level (4.75%), then it means that Australia is completely is s#%# and prices will fall due to a deep recession. Win-win. Either way, property prices are falling.

Either way, it's good. If the rates go up, then people in the property market get crunched more, so prices are likely to fall back. If rates drop from this low level (4.75%), then it means that Australia is completely is s#%# and prices will fall due to a deep recession. Win-win. Either way, property prices are falling.

Mate- with all this winning you are starting to sound like Charlie Sheen.

I think you'll find that with inflation rising globally, that raising interest rates is exactly what the RBA will need to do, regardless of where the economy is.

I'd say rates will be at least 0.5% higher by this time next year.

With a comment like " Either way its good.people in the property market get crunched more"
i really hope Karma jumps up and bites you on the a##.

Remember not all property owners are investors and atleast investors have support( neg gearing and rents).
If after that you still say home owners deserve it. Well then your nothing more than a bottom feeder trying to get on the ladder yourself.

Given some of the latest economic data...unlikely.

As always time will tell.....I have left all my rates variable to take advantage of lower rates next year!:D

I have not confidence in the RBA since Glen Stevens took over. I think they have got it wrong.

Hi Sash

So if Stevens cuts the rate is he getting it right or wrong:p

Cheers

Pete

Remember not all property owners are investors and atleast investors have support( neg gearing and rents).
If after that you still say home owners deserve it. Well then your nothing more than a bottom feeder trying to get on the ladder yourself.

Sorry mate. If you buy within your means with ample buffer then you won't have problems. If your one of those who wanted it all now and overextended, I have no sympaphy.

Mate, I'm on the ladder now, with 3 properties. Just sitting on a low 25% LVR now waiting for the crunch to come. Sorry, there has been ample time and warning for 2yrs that the market will correct. If people are still overextended at this late stage than all the better come bargin buying in late 2013/early 2014.
:)

The other thing devo76 is how is property any different to other assets. When you sell shares and then the price goes down, do you feel sorry for the person who bought your shares for higher than they are now worth. Or when the share price falls, and you buy some shares are lower prices. Do you feel sorry for the person who sold the shares cheaper. Your moral outrage seems to be very selective devo76. Property is no different. If people haven't prepared the past 2yrs at record low interest rates, than like shares, there will be plenty of opportunity in a couple of years.

Last edited:
With a comment like " Either way its good.people in the property market get crunched more"
i really hope Karma jumps up and bites you on the a##.

Yea but they probably voted for populist governments or oppositions (given those were the only choices), so looks like the only way karma is heading is back to home owners to bite their @$$?

well, no news on the forum about IRs on hold on Tuesday.....?

minutes suggest a pretty stagnant economy with a "hope and pray" strategy for growth the resume - in other words, we ain't cutting rates yet.

http://www.rba.gov.au/media-releases/2011/mr-11-09.html

...there was a sharp fall in real GDP in the March quarter, despite a solid increase in aggregate demand.

Growth in employment has moderated over recent months and the unemployment rate has been little changed, near 5 per cent. Most leading indicators suggest that this slower pace of employment growth is likely to continue in the near term. Reports of skills shortages remain confined, at this point, to the resources and related sectors. After the significant decline in 2009, growth in wages has returned to rates seen prior to the downturn.

Overall credit growth remains quite modest. Signs have continued to emerge of some greater willingness to lend, and business credit has expanded this year after a period of contraction. Growth in credit to households, on the other hand, has softened, as have housing prices. The exchange rate remains, in real effective terms, close to its highest level in several decades. If sustained, this could be expected to exert continued restraint on the traded sector.

Hey Sash,

Been saying this for a long while also mate. Made a blog about it also.

Me and you were getting laughed at not too long ago for our thoughts :)

Mate, I'm on the ladder now, with 3 properties. Just sitting on a low 25% LVR now waiting for the crunch to come. Sorry, there has been ample time and warning for 2yrs that the market will correct. If people are still overextended at this late stage than all the better come bargin buying in late 2013/early 2014.
:)

i love how crunchies keep pushing their timeframe out.

i remember when you were bleating about 2012.

then it was 2012/2013.

now it's 2013/2014.

then it was 2012/2013.

now it's 2013/2014.

I've been listening to them since 2007. The big crash was supposed to happen in 2008, then 2009, 10, 11, 12... always tantalisingly close, but just out of reach.

Problem is, they're basing their crash expectations on misleading data. Here's Chris Joye's take...
Housing bubble advocates stuck with misleading data: Joye

In one corner we have journalists at The Economist newspaper, who in a recent survey make the extraordinary claim that Australian house prices are overvalued by 55% using their preferred benchmark. In the other corner we have a crowd of the most respected economic minds in Australia, including the Reserve Bank of Australia, the Commonwealth Treasury, almost all market economists, and leading house price index providers, such as RP Data and Rismark...

Continued here... http://www.smartcompany.com.au/prop...dvocates-stuck-with-misleading-data-joye.html

Oh...but didn't you know that "In the other corner we have a crowd of the most respected economic minds in Australia, including the Reserve Bank of Australia, the Commonwealth Treasury, almost all market economists, and leading house price index providers, such as RP Data and Rismark..." all have a vested interest to keep house prices high so they can take more taxes and interest and sell more price data....:p

That's the usual response from the crunchies anyway....

And still the crash is further and further away....:rolleyes:

all have a vested interest to keep house prices high so they can take more taxes and interest and sell more price data....:p

just them and only them.

never mind the families that would be hurt by falling prices, FHOBs that would be hurt, investors, tenants...

but it's all their own fault and making ofr participating in the greatest ponzi of our time....

...being shelter.

just them and only them.

never mind the families that would be hurt by falling prices, FHOBs that would be hurt, investors, tenants...

but it's all their own fault and making ofr participating in the greatest ponzi of our time....

...being shelter.

So residential property investing is a financial industry-built ponzi scheme, but the crunchies are wrong in predicting its immanent foreclosure?

Sorry? I'm genuinely confused Aaron. Please clarify.

Yes...can relate to that. I even went far as saying that a cut was in order around Oct 2011. Guess what ...a lot of people here thought I was off my rocker.

The numbers don't lie.....other than mining and some other industries the economy is ratsh^t. Mining only employs less than 3% of the overall work force.

The July numbers are going to pretty ordinary...this will be known in in late Aug.......by Oct it will be really bad. With Greece and potentially Italy on the verge of collapse.....a rate cut is only a matter of time.

The silence is deafening.....great time to buy though.

Hey Sash,

Been saying this for a long while also mate. Made a blog about it also.

Me and you were getting laughed at not too long ago for our thoughts :)

then it was 2012/2013.

now it's 2013/2014.

Maybe you should go back and re-read the posts Aaron. I have always said that the world is in for another double dip in 2011/2012 to late 2012, and that property would correct (there are still 17mths to go with the correction prediction).

Your getting confused about the date I expect the world to head into more trouble (2011 and through 2012), and the period that I have always said that I'd be out of the market for more property (that is until 2013). That is, I expect a bottom in late 2012, but flat prices, so no point in getting in for another 9-12mths after that. This takes it to late 2013.

PIIGS are still in trouble, and on target to drag the rest of the world down eventually. I expect Spain will need a bailout Dec 2011/Jan 2012 (as previously stated as well, maybe 3mths ago now).

In my opinon people need to look at future interest rate movements through the prism of game theory.

Neither of which is very bullish for property in the medium term.

If economic conditions are bullish overall, then RBA increases interest rates: big negative.

If economic conditions deteriorate, then RBA may cut interest rates. But they will NOT be cut to the GFC lows.

If RBA cuts interest rates, it wont be good for property, just less bad. Why because the economic conditions will have deteriorated such that the downturn in economic conditions will offset any interest cut benefit.

The game theory in its current application is not the same as the game theory applied during the GFC.

And for those who will just accuse my of being a d&g'er compare this statement to statements i was making back in 2008.
The structural change has changed since then, and its structural conditions that i focus on.

Back