Next to a zoo? Or next to a church?

I'd rather live next to a zoo myself.

Lived a few blocks away from a church once and every Sunday early, the bells, the bells, whereas a bit of jungle noise would be pretty cool I'd reckon.

Dave

I'd rather live next to a zoo myself.

Lived a few blocks away from a church once and every Sunday early, the bells, the bells, whereas a bit of jungle noise would be pretty cool I'd reckon.

Dave

A lot of modern day churches don't have bells - not bell towers for that matter. :) The only prob we ever had living near one was that our street would fill up with cars on Christmas and Easter as the CHurch capr park would over flow....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I was at the Perth zoo early this year and remember that the new sun bears enclosure had just opened. I noticed that a town house just behind the zoo had a balcony which looked onto their enclosure - what a fantastic selling point for that town house.

I'd choose zoo definitely. Imagine hearing elephants and lions roar in the middle of the night.

Ricepud

I know of a house nearby that has sold several times in ten years. It is next to a church which has a hall as part of its grounds. This is in a quiet, very expensive street, so not on a main road.

It is the tap dancing classes that have driven them all out :eek:

Oh, and the choir practice sessions :eek:

Then there is the parking.....

Wylie

Alex

What an unusual question! Do you have a particular reason for asking? Mind sharing???

Cheers
LynnH

I'm going to look at a house this week that's very close to both a church and an animal park. (If anyone knows which property I'm talking about please be kind and do not post the link - on the other hand if you have info on it please PM or email me.) The house seems to fit most of my criteria. To be honest I'm more worried about the church because of the noise, and I'm an agnostic who usually ticks off religious people because I use logic. I generally think church activities are fairly wholesome, though.
Alex

I don't think I'd have a problem with an animal park, so long as there was adequate parking, but a church on the other hand could have some issues. I would be concerned about how busy it gets. If it's just a little local church with hardly any worshippers or a huge modern one. Do they have a noisy band for their music? How many services do they hold each Sunday? Do they have a hall that is hired out for use during the week & what is it used for?

God may be on your side

Both present opportunities, but probably more so the church.

You said you were an agnostic, but I'd still go to a few services, and look at their congregation both in numbers and age. Then do the same for churches of that same faith in the area.

If you can, get a hold of their newsletter and/or hang around afterwards (in case there are hushed conversations about the future of the church). The bulk of conversations church administrators have are distinctly secular, about matters like volunteers, money and who to boot off the committee at the next AGM!

Look for signs that nearby churches are working together eg holding joint services. With declining church attendences and the need to maintain buildings, there is a trend to consolidate church activities at the one venue.

Then one building (hopefully next door) may become surplus to requirements and if you're developmentally inclined it might be worth buying.

It would just be the ultimate irony if I end up buying land belonging to a church. I like the way you think, though, Peter. That church is sitting on a BIG (if I'm reading the plans right, something like 5, 6000 sqm) block of land. Maybe I can cut a piece.
Alex

There may be a few minor annoyances with parking etc, just like living near a school. But I think most reasonable people can put that in perspective.

It's not like living next to a prison/abbatoir/nuclear power station etc.

I can't see any reasonable person moving house purely because church bells woke them up early on a Sunday.

My brother bought across the road from one of these new age churches. He sold 3 years later!!!!:eek:

Problems :-

The congregation parked throughout the street having at least 2 sessions on Sundays

Virtually every second day there was something on so it wasn't just an issue on Sunday morning.

I would vote for the animal park.

I assume you are not looking at buying next to taronga park so in that case these should be fairly quite animals and really shouldn't create any noise directly but then there is the question of all the visitors to the park.

Generally animal parks opening hours are confined to between 10 - 4 but this would be daily 7 days a week.

We have a townhouse next to a school oval and the noise at lunch and play time is deafening but apart from that its quite and you get a nice view across an oval.

Cheers

Handyandy, may I ask if it's a smaller road your brother bought in, or a main road? In this particular case parking probably won't be a huge problem as it's on a fairly main road which doesn't allow parking anyway.

I'm not that concerned about the animal park. I wouldn't buy a place next to a school or oval, though (noise).
Alex

It was a relatively small road in that when cars were parked on both sides the cars had trouble negotiating both ways at ones.

If this is a very large as in arterial road then I would be more concerned about the impact of the road on the property. This impact can be more than noise in that accidents can and do happen.

Cheers

Hi Alex,

It might depend on whether you are looking at it for a PPOR OR investment OR a combination of both.

If it was an investment, as a general rule, I would avoid the main road first of all.

I probably would not buy next door to a church OR a zoo, but if I had to pick one or the other, it might be the church.

If the property is near a church OR a zoo, but not next door to it, and better still, not in a visible distance from either - I think that would be more suitable.

Ideally, it would also not be at an audible distance from either too.

Bit like being close to a train station in that it's great if you're a short walking distance away from it, but not if the train hoots past your back fence every morning.

Also reminds me of a friend who found their dream PPOR, but it was right next door to a petrol station on a busy main road intersection!

It'll be both, I think. I'll be living in it but the plan is to live in it for a few years until we can upgrade. In this particular case I'm thinking the block of land would be more valuable in the future given its size.

Right now, the houses I really like (though of course there are always more 'wants') are about 30-40% above what I'm willing to spend. As usual I'm using the 'let's get the second or third best thing that we want, and we'll upgrade' strategy.

So you're saying you would prefer the property nearer a church than a zoo? May I ask why?
Alex

It'll be both, I think. I'll be living in it but the plan is to live in it for a few years until we can upgrade. In this particular case I'm thinking the block of land would be more valuable in the future given its size.

Right now, the houses I really like (though of course there are always more 'wants') are about 30-40% above what I'm willing to spend. As usual I'm using the 'let's get the second or third best thing that we want, and we'll upgrade' strategy.

So you're saying you would prefer the property nearer a church than a zoo? May I ask why?
Alex

Well really I wouldn't like either, but I have seen some brilliant apartment conversions of old churches in higher density areas of inner Melbourne eg. in Carlton and St Kilda - they can be very unique and have a lot of character!

But you're obviously not looking to buy the church itself, but something near or next door to it, so this probably won't help you.

Also, what if someone buys the zoo, and develops some huge random thing on this, and how would it impact on your land and property value?

Hard to make any more meaningful comments without knowing the location/suburb of the property in question.

I've heard of residents in Mosman in Sydney close to Taronga Park zoo going outside to find an escaped exotic bird (such as a Macaw) sitting on their roof.

You also hear strange noises at night from a zoo...I've been to the harbour beach below Taronga zoo at night...pitch black walking along a bush track to get to the beach listening to the sound of a lion roaring close by.

If its a large zoo and you are close by you'll hear elephants, lions, monkeys and other weird and wonderful noises at night and at feeding times.

Ajax

Back