NSW Granny flat approval in 10 days

- $1400 for draftsperson
- $1100 for surveyor

Prices sound fair to me.

Just had a brainwave this morning :D - we have an IP with enough side access and I am pretty sure we could put a granny flat in the backyard.

I wouldn't do it now as we have good tenants, who are paying a good rent and are looking after the place as well as we would.

Sheryn

Just had a brainwave this morning :D - we have an IP with enough side access and I am pretty sure we could put a granny flat in the backyard.
I wouldn't do it now as we have good tenants, who are paying a good rent and are looking after the place as well as we would.

So you don't think spending $40-50K on a granny flat is worth the extra $200+ per week in rent you'd get?:confused:

Can you have the granny flat running on seperate water and electricity meters, or does this then fall into dual oc? Also can you divide/fence off the granny flat from the main house?

Mine has seperate power meters but not water. Council said water is not worth changing as the extra rates would outway the benefit.I had an existing fence running down the middle of the property but they still shared a parking area. My answer was to divide the existing garage into two and add new entries. Problem plus solution equals $$$

Does anyone know if the granny flat can be built with a garage/carport? Also, is it treated like any other DA in that neighbours can object for privacy reasons?

So you don't think spending $40-50K on a granny flat is worth the extra $200+ per week in rent you'd get?:confused:

Propertunity
Our plans didn't include a granny flat and there is only so many things I can fund and do. I reckon they might be easier to get through council but you never know.

I will have granny flats in the back of my mind when looking for son's and daughter's next purchase.

Sheryn

Propertunity
Our plans didn't include a granny flat and there is only so many things I can fund and do. I reckon they might be easier to get through council but you never know.

I will have granny flats in the back of my mind when looking for son's and daughter's next purchase.

Sheryn

I think its worth remembering that not all properties will retain the same rent on the existing property after building the granny flat. Not everyone wants to share a block of land and that may show in the rent return. Unless they are set up in such away that they still retain full privacy. I have done this with my property and many people do not even realise there is a flat there.

I think its worth remembering that not all properties will retain the same rent on the existing property after building the granny flat. Not everyone wants to share a block of land and that may show in the rent return. Unless they are set up in such away that they still retain full privacy. I have done this with my property and many people do not even realise there is a flat there.

Devo, could you give some examples of how you masked the presence of the granny on a regular rectangular block for example? Unless it has a rear/side lane, not sure how this is done. Granny tenants I'd presume have to walk up the driveway for example, if its situated at the back.

Devo, could you give some examples of how you masked the presence of the granny on a regular rectangular block for example? Unless it has a rear/side lane, not sure how this is done. Granny tenants I'd presume have to walk up the driveway for example, if its situated at the back.

This will be hard to describe so i hope you understand.

Ok corner block with house at front. (Nothing to hard there)
Granny flat attached to the back and to the side but not road side.(Not ideal)
Detached double garage to back of property on road side . ( Of coarse)

Now an additional fence was built right down middle of block between corner of garage and corner of unit.

This effectivly gave the unit no axcess .
So what i did was devide the garage into two.The now single garage closest to the house is for the house only.
The now single garage at the back of the block is for the unit and i built a door at the back of the garage to allow axcess to the unit.

Axcess to the unit through the garage is not ideal but no complaint yet. i do have room at the back of the garage to make a path if needed.

I hope you can translate that into a picture.If not i might post a link to the old realestate.com.au photos.

I also extended the fence with some lattice to add to the privacy and padlocked the gate in the fence. There are no windows on the house side of the granny flat. It was well thought out when built.( Full council approval also)

i read in yesterday's paper that the application doesn't even need to go thru council - just signed off by a certified planner within 10 days of lodging with them ... so basically gives neighbours no comback to object as long as it complies in all other areas..

sounds liek a back door way of increasing densities. it makes sense - affordable infill single persons dwellings funded by landowners with no chance of objection from NIMBYs

once they are commonplace they may allow them to be divided off?

Here are some crucial questions I have emailed off to the Planning dept.

1. Can the council charge section 94 contributions for the extra dwelling on the lot? If so, how much for the 60sqm dwelling?
2. Would the secondary dwelling (Granny Flat) require stormwater retention measures - as required in a dual occ?
3. If sectioning off or ading a section to an existing dwelling for a Granny flat would firewalls/barriers be required - as in dual occs?
4. Would seperate water/electricity meters need to be installed? If not, can seperate meters be installed if desired?

Will keep you all informed. :)

please do ... don't have any ip's that would be suitable atm, but will change how i look at potentials in the future.

Hi Guys,

I ran a thread on this a few months ago specifically for Pittwater as this has been permitted there for some time as pointed out already. So, for those interested, I sourced the following kit home option at around $50K all inclusive and a tad over the 60m2 footprint required.

http://www.paal.com.au/kit-homes/blaxland-2.asp

The actual internal footprint is 7mx9m = 63m2. I drew up a modified set of plans to reduce the 9m width to 8.5m and thereby bring the footprint under the 60m2 threshold so a private certifier could OK it. Simple mod to collapse the kitchen area and lose the door and collapse the lounge by 50cm.

Didn't get around to submitting it as I moved to Brisbane instead... :D

Might still be a good option for those minded to go the kit home approach. Would have rented for at least $350-400pw at my PPOR address in North Narrabeen as a separate 2-bed dwelling.

Cheers,
Michael

PS It says its 7.2m x 9.2m but that is the external wall dimension so you can lose 20cm off each of those dimensions when you allow for the internal footprint. I think the control said internal space so I reduced it by the wall thickness. Got to squeeze every cm2 out of these you can...

thanks for that michael ... although i'd probably go down the 1 bedroom path and expand the size of the other rooms. the attached plan is very pokey and no allowances for clothing cupboards. i had a granny flat on a property that had a 2nd bedroom, but it was so small it really was no more than a study - you'd fit in a single bed but nothing more - and the rest of the house was "suck in your gut before entering".

however, as it had separate access on a corner block, once it was built i was able to apply for subdivision and cut it off from the main house.

sold both separately 2 years later and made a very tidy profit (doubled) - glad i didn't keep those as they flooded out during the pasha bulka storm 2 years ago.

got me thinking ... repeat?

Back