NSW Granny flat approval in 10 days

Okay folks,
Here is the response from council regarding a few of my questions. They have not answered the question on stormwater retention and I have asked them to address it for me.

Not good news on the contributions eh. :mad:
If they want more affordable housing they need to make it more affordable for developers IMO. The illegal rentals will continue to be created if the contributions are still enforced.
Despite this it appears that a few planning measures have improved

1) no need for extra private open space
2) no need for extra car parking
3) can now put a house + a flat on blocks down to 450sqm
4)?? maybe no stormwater retention??

Sorry if I sound a bit confused re the contributions - does it mean that council will charge you $15,000 to give approval for a granny flat.

I have a garage (not attached to house) that I am wanting to convert into a studio. I don't have a big budget so trying to work out how to do this.

Can someone give me an idea if I should -

1. make it an addition to house - ensuite bathroom with wetbar (which my become a small kitchenette)

2. GF staying under the 60sq - is is correct that decks and patios are not included in the 60sq.

3. Is a GF classified as dual occupancy and if so what are the extra charges that I would have to be pay.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know:confused:

granny flat

LOL :D. You probably don't mean what you've written surely? :confused: I'd keep the wetbar for the kitchen area and leave the ensuite with just a shower and toilet ;)

No

Yes sorry that was confusing, the wetbar would be upstairs in living area. Ensuite downstairs with only shower and toilet.

When submitting my DA should I go for an addition to house only or as a GF.

Also as I am removing the garage does the driveway leading into the garage still act as my off street parking for the existing house - i realise you don't need to provide parking for the GF
I really do appreciate your advice - thank you.

Any idea about the contributions for GF

I am considering a house and existing granny flat as my first IP. The one I'm looking at doesn't have seperate meters for electricity.

I was thinking of putting in solar power using a green loan and charging extra in rent for electricity, making it attractive by charging a little less for electricity than what a standard bill would be. The extra rent for electricity goes to pay off the green loan and I still make money from the feed in rebate (don't know if I have the right terminology there) and no extra cost for a meter, so saving money and making money.

Would this work?

When submitting my DA should I go for an addition to house only or as a GF. Any idea about the contributions for GF

I don't know on either count. All I do know is that the scenarios that a private certifier will not have any issues with (supposedly) are laid out in the link that was posted by BV originally: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/plansforaction/pdf/Affordable Housing_Fact_Granny Flats.pdf

1. Granny flat within an existing house where internal alterations are made to create a Granny Flat typically with a separate external entrance.

2. Granny flat attached or detached to an existing house or garage where external alterations are made such as:
a. a new wing to the house
b. new floor added to the house
c. new floor on top of the garage
d. a cabin or studio in the back or side yard.

3. Granny flat with new house with a single application for both.

Hi Pat82,

I'm not an investor (though hope to be soon). I live in Ryde. From my limited experience Ryde is a very difficult council to get approvals through.

I'm very excited about the granny flat legislation. Let me know if you end up in buying in Ryde as I want to do something similar. I think Ryde has a lot going for it. West Ryde & North Ryde are probably better priced.

Regards,

Lee.

Ryde Council and ANY Council for that matter, have absolutely no say on whether you can have a Granny Flat- the New SEPP is universal to all NSW Councils. The only Council which is currently not using the SEPP is Waringah Council. Reason is they don’t use 'zones' and hence are in a legal row with the Dept. of Planning. Cracks me up.

You're right; Ryde does have a lot going for it. It’s geographically centralised and has excellent access to the city and the mountains as well. The larger block sizes in Ryde also lend themselves to granny flats, whether attached or detached from the main dwelling.

I've personally had 8 granny flats approved so far this year in NSW-2 in Ryde. I’m an architectural draftsman. My initial goal is to totally bypass Council (and use a Private Certifier) by keeping the new granny flat under 60 sq. mtrs; but there are other prescriptions. These relate primarily to setbacks (distance to boundaries), height and the overall floor space of the combined house and granny flat. Some of Ryde is Bush-Fire prone so that automatically disqualifies those properties. This is also true of Heritage properties.

The only thing Council DO have a say in, is DRAINAGE. You must comply with the specific Councils' Drainage Code. This can sometimes be difficult because some Councils have very strict regulations regarding OSD and Retention. Whilst the new SEPP does say something about methods of Stormwater, it also has a clause which allows Council to implement its Code if your overall site coverage exceeds their controls. It’s complicated and can be an expensive aspect of the whole development. I always try to design my own system but it depends on the Council. Generally I draw a line at Victoria Rd and any Council north of that line is what I consider to be difficult. Go to Campbelltown, Bankstown or even Sutherland and you'll find their engineers are much less anal about drainage.

I hope this helps.

I have a website, if the admins don’t mind me posting it that is specifically aimed at granny flat design, approval and building in Sydney, NSW. I’ve found that with the new SEPP and people tweaking to the benefits (especially investors) the demand for granny flats has increased greatly. I get 4+ enquiries a day. Most are investors.

Private Certifiers are reluctant to do granny flats at the moment (as Complying Development) under the 10 day approval rule, because the process is not simple- its all new and actually quite complicated when you factor in each Council's individual codes. It’s my job to simplify all of that and save people money.

Link:
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au

There’s some more info there and other links to resources for people looking to build a granny flat in NSW.

Cheers.

Sorry if I sound a bit confused re the contributions - does it mean that council will charge you $15,000 to give approval for a granny flat.

Byron Bay Council will charge at least this depending on the number of bedrooms - approx 20k for 2 bed. Other councils may differ but I expect well populated areas would be similar.

Thanks Brazen for the excellent info about drainage issues.

Have the granny flats in Ryde been built yet? If so, have they performed well in terms of cost & rent return?

Lee.

Ryde Council and ANY Council for that matter, have absolutely no say on whether you can have a Granny Flat- the New SEPP is universal to all NSW Councils. The only Council which is currently not using the SEPP is Waringah Council. Reason is they don’t use 'zones' and hence are in a legal row with the Dept. of Planning. Cracks me up.

You're right; Ryde does have a lot going for it. It’s geographically centralised and has excellent access to the city and the mountains as well. The larger block sizes in Ryde also lend themselves to granny flats, whether attached or detached from the main dwelling.

I've personally had 8 granny flats approved so far this year in NSW-2 in Ryde. I’m an architectural draftsman. My initial goal is to totally bypass Council (and use a Private Certifier) by keeping the new granny flat under 60 sq. mtrs; but there are other prescriptions. These relate primarily to setbacks (distance to boundaries), height and the overall floor space of the combined house and granny flat. Some of Ryde is Bush-Fire prone so that automatically disqualifies those properties. This is also true of Heritage properties.

The only thing Council DO have a say in, is DRAINAGE. You must comply with the specific Councils' Drainage Code. This can sometimes be difficult because some Councils have very strict regulations regarding OSD and Retention. Whilst the new SEPP does say something about methods of Stormwater, it also has a clause which allows Council to implement its Code if your overall site coverage exceeds their controls. It’s complicated and can be an expensive aspect of the whole development. I always try to design my own system but it depends on the Council. Generally I draw a line at Victoria Rd and any Council north of that line is what I consider to be difficult. Go to Campbelltown, Bankstown or even Sutherland and you'll find their engineers are much less anal about drainage.

I hope this helps.

I have a website, if the admins don’t mind me posting it that is specifically aimed at granny flat design, approval and building in Sydney, NSW. I’ve found that with the new SEPP and people tweaking to the benefits (especially investors) the demand for granny flats has increased greatly. I get 4+ enquiries a day. Most are investors.

Private Certifiers are reluctant to do granny flats at the moment (as Complying Development) under the 10 day approval rule, because the process is not simple- its all new and actually quite complicated when you factor in each Council's individual codes. It’s my job to simplify all of that and save people money.

Link:
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au

There’s some more info there and other links to resources for people looking to build a granny flat in NSW.

Cheers.

Thanks Brazen for the excellent info about drainage issues.

Have the granny flats in Ryde been built yet? If so, have they performed well in terms of cost & rent return?

Lee.

Yes they have.
I dont know what they earned. Build Price (total incl. Council, connection to services etc) was around $80k.
Id say rent in Ryde for a GF would have to be between $250-$350?

Oh Just wanted to say how awesome your web site is.

Your phone number is on the front page - hallelujah!

There's no opening flash animations to waste my time - just straight down to business! - excellent.

Prices are included with practical info instead of just spam.

Cheers Lee.

**PS I have no association with the site.

Oh thankyou Lee :) Nice to hear.
Just updated it a bit actually- designed it all myself.
http://grannyflatapprovals.com.au/

$29000 Granny Flats Returning $260/wk

We've recently bought a Granny Flat from Add Some Space and placed it in our backyard in Reevsby NSW. We were using it for my wife's mother for a few months but have rented it out since she had to travel - its returning $260/wk against $29000 cost which is a hell of a yeild I'm sure you'll agree. Just wanted to share that in case anyone was tossing up the pros and cons.

granny flat

hiya

That's an awesome yield...

May i ask what costs were excluded from 29K? for eg any site costs or builder to put the kit together? How many bedrooms ? does it look "shed" like?

thanks!

Sounds like spam to me. First post and advertising a Business that is located in QLD, the same state as the user's location, yet says that he put it in his backyard in Revesby, which is in NSW. I'm smelling something here.

Re:$29000 Granny Flats Returning $260/wk

Sounds good. $29K model is fairly cosy but would be fine for 1 person. My concern is that the supplier doesn't have a real street address on their web site. Always a warning sign to me.

Lee.

$29k looks like supply only, you still need to build it, connect to water/sewerage/electricity etc.

They have a sample quote on the site which also indicates this.

http://addsomespace.com.au/beaches.html

2 bedder pretty much goes to to 97k.... big jump from the 29k. I detect spam from the the poster on this link too. You only show your base price and disregard all other factors when trying to sell an item.

Hello All,

I approached Coffs Harbour Council NSW today with great interest, on getting my new granny flat approved under the new affordable rental housing scheme. The inspector had a quick look over my sketches and said everything looks o.k and then he happened to mention the “developer contribution fees” of $14,299.95 that I would need to pay.

What I want to know is whether this fee is legal, if so, what’s the point of this initiative? Nobody is going to build with this enormous extra fee.

I think the idea of supporting affordable rental housing is great idea but it is not affordable with this fee. I would much appreciate your help in this matter with advice.

What I want to know is whether this fee is legal,

Yes council can charge developer contributions. I just paid 14.5k to add an extra bedroom over my limit on a vacant block that I put 2 two bed houses on. It was only entitled for a single 3 bed home. This was in Byron Shire. Saying this apparantly a lot of councils are not charging contributions. Coffs and Byron councils are broke so will scrounge for every penny possible.

what’s the point of this initiative?
I think the idea of supporting affordable rental housing is great idea but it is not affordable with this fee. I would much appreciate your help in this matter with advice.

I think you will find that you are not providing affordable housing under the govt scheme. You will always achieve market rent for the flat - as you deserve.

If affordable housing looks like other housing and is built to the same standards, what makes it affordable?

Affordable housing refers to the rent or purchase price charged rather than the cost of production.

Most affordable housing rental projects charge people either a percentage of their income as rent or offer rents that are lower than market rents. A common rental charge for low-income households is 25% of the household income.

Some projects charge increasing rent levels as household income increases, for example 25% for very low, 27% for low and 30% for moderate incomes. This approach means that people’s rent never exceeds the common affordability benchmarks.

By mixing low and moderate income earners in a project where people pay a fixed percentage of their income, the rent obtained from moderate income households can cross-subsidise very low or low income households so the project can remain financially viable overall.

And

Nobody is going to build with this enormous extra fee.

You have to do a feaso on the project before throwing it out the window. There could still be excellent returns in it for you.
eg: build cost - 100k, contributions - 15k
Total - 115k
Rent - 200/wk

Yield - 8.7%

Back