Peter Spann's new book title

Can an average joe accumulate a networth of $10million in 10 years?

• Yes, anyone can do if they put their mind to it

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Possible for some, but very few and only if they work like dogs towards it

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • No, its misleading and dangerous to suggest it can be done.

Votes: 13 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Peter Spann said:
My only view is that eventually the market will get used to it (like all other taxes and changes) and it will be onwards and upwards.

OR ....... the State Government will realise that the grief they are getting from this will far outway their expected income.

All very well to have a tax to fund your promises but it doesn't mean too much if you're no longer in Government! :(

Why shucks

Ecogirl said:
So I have gone and bought your latest book based solely on your posting here. Thank you all who have contributed to this thread - it's one of the most valuable (ie thought provoking for me) that I've read in a long time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a complimentary post. I really appreciate it and would be very interested in your comments when you have read the book.

Love your frog by the way - (hope you like the chapter on leap-frogging) - perfect match to your handle "ecogirl".

Wazza Software

ren-A said:
G'day Peter - was wondeirng if you'd come across Professor John Price's http://www.conscious-investor.com/

Yes I have - quite a few of my clients use it for their US shares in particular (we have better data in my opinion for Oz shares in our own software - FoxTrader) and seem impressed by it.

I have no direct experience with it because I have access to our broking software (which is amazing).

On track - who'd have thought???

Bill.L said:
What percentage of the population could reach the $10m in ten years??(your thoughts)

Could? 100% ! Absolutely. I HAVE to maintain my faith that ANY motivated individual could have anything they want on this planet within that time frame. I have built my life on that belief. I have seen it happen too many times not to believe.

Will? Less than 10%. (and maybe that is optimistic?!?)

ren-A said:
Peter Spann said:
G'day Peter - was wondeirng if you'd come across Professor John Price's http://www.conscious-investor.com/

It's a valuation tool for Australian & US companies using Buffett filters.

Cheers
Ren-A

I met the Professor's wife at an investment seminar a few months back & did some follow-up investigation on Conscious Investor as I was writing a book on share investing at the time.

I was quite favourably impressed - but haven't yet spent any money on it :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I've attempted to move some of the more fricolus parts of this thread over to coffee lounge- however, with such a big thread, there were posts which have been moved incorrectly- sorry.

A BIG answer to a BIG post

Quintets post is a BIG post and there’s a LOT in it.

I’ll try to answer without glossing over anything too much but also aware that it would be impossible to answer all the questions without writing another book.

First, and my best advice to anyone is…

Don’t overstretch. You seem to have a great strategy and you have a buffer built in. That’s excellent. Keep that sensible head on your shoulders and don’t give into pressure to take too many risks.

It’s easy to let your desire to get ahead get in the road of sensible strategy.

My approach has always been buy as much as you can without overstretching and then just wait.

I am sure other people may have more to contribute here on what to do when you run out of cash but my approach has always been patience tempered with some trading.

My older strategy (still implemented BTW) of using options and my recent strategy of CPT’s to generate cash flow are obviously well discussed in this thread so I won’t elaborate too much on those strategies.

It is well known that I am not a fan of CF+ property for the sake of cash flow. There is nothing wrong with earning an income from your property portfolio and you know the old saying, “nobody ever went broke making a profit”, but, as I have said, if I am looking for cash flow for cash flow’s sake I believe there are better “instruments” for that.

It’s like trying to make a car float – (I saw one recently that looks like an MX5 for about $180,000) possible but what’s the point (when you can buy and MX5 AND a boat for less than $100K)?

I go purely for growth in my property portfolio and that has always been my primary consideration when selecting property to buy. This doesn't suit everybody but I am happy with my strategy.

I chose options because that was the first trading seminar I went to and took to them like a duck to water. There is no more to it than that.

I have always found them easy – but I must say many people do not. And most people in the options market lose money – my guess is 90%, so it certainly isn’t for everyone. Good training and good strategy can put the odds well in your favour and so it is far from impossible to learn – just take it easy if you are going to get started – that's all.

In the end picking “what” (options, futures, shares, property, CFD’s, currency, etc) to trade is less important than developing skill so that’s why I stick to options – I just couldn’t be bothered learning anything else. SKILL is critical - you need to be able to stay in the market long enough for it to reveal its secrets to you.

I am happy to answer some of your questions…

How much time does this REALLY take per day? I don't really believe all these adverts for covered calls options trading courses saying "Just 10 minutes a day".

It takes me less than 10 minutes a day... No really it does. Now that I have been doing it for 10 years I have a pattern. It is important to say that a LOT of people will dispute what I am about to say and they may well have valid points but this is what works for me.

A few days prior to the expiry of my written options I stop and have a look at the position of the share, and I decide what to do. Obviously this depends on whether the share has gone up, down or sideways. I then plan my strategy and monitor it for the next few days. On expiry day I pay closer attention and exercise a defensive strategy if necessary. If not I just wait and do nothing and write again the next day. I then do NOT look at the share again until the end of the month, unless… I have my trading software set to alert me if the share moves more than a certain percentage (usually about 5% but it depends on the share), during the month and if it does I check it and keep an eye on it. If not I literally have nothing to do all month.

Some months I have ½ an hour per day’s work to do, some months I have nothing to do.

Now that I manage my client’s money we have meetings every morning to discuss our approach for the day but this extra diligence is for my client’s benefit and if it wasn’t their money on the line I wouldn’t do it.

All of this however is on the back of over a decade of experience.

When I was first starting it would take about an hour a day and I would fuss and worry and panic and do stupid things and regret them, and do smart things and regret them, and do stupid things and not know they were stupid so think they were clever, and re-analyse and draw lines all over charts and go to bed and wake up again and change my mind and do something else and regret that and wake up again and go to technical annalists meetings (and probably would have typed in forums if they had existed) and… well you get the picture. It can and did, sometimes take a while to get it right.

I'm not at the liberty in my day job to run to a phone to make a snap decision to buy or sell. What's the learning curve like?

I don’t know – to me learning is FUN – it’s the best thing I do so it never really bothered me and if I lost money I just put that down to more learning and rolled with the punches, however most people don’t seem to display that temperament and so when I ask most of my clients what the learning curve for them is like, they answer… STEEP!

I'm worried about not having enough TIME which might make a MISTAKE.

If you can’t devote the time to learning it you shouldn’t do it – full stop.

That's why I added CPT's to my strategy. Frank and friends do all the work for me.

I would like to add something more to this…

It’s about your P.S. I LOVED what you wrote. I got a vivid picture and it was wonderful.

That day you spent in the park at your picnic is more important that anything else you can do. There is no qualification to that statement.

Many people get so hung up on making money they forget why they are doing it.

I also want to say (here’s some balance for you), that the saddest stories I ever hear are people (usually men by the way) who overstretch and get into trouble with what seems to be a good motivation… their family. (I guess if it wasn’t their family nobody would have any sympathy for them so you never get to hear those stories).

They go over the top buying too many properties, or trading options or whatever, on borrowed money with no experience, cutting corners and throwing out their strategy because they are desperate to provide something better for their families (or so they say). They then get into all sorts of bother – I have heard of some going broke – and because it was all in the name of “wealth creation” just about everybody gets blamed except the person themselves.

But here’s the thing, and this is bound to be controversial, no matter what the motivation, it’s all the same thing – greed. It’s an ugly word and as soon as I bring it up people all over say, “HEY! He was just trying to help his family.”

True, but my definition of greed is, “trying to do too much too soon with too little skill with the intent of trying to get too much money too quickly”.

There is no time off for good intent. The markets don't care why you want the money - they treat you the same regardless. Greed is greed and it doesn’t matter if you are the sweetest or most evil person on the planet. It doesn’t matter if you are doing it for world domination or to try and get your family ahead. The most common form I find greed takes in everyday folk is overstretching because of the pressure to "have it all".

Money doesn’t buy anything of value. It doesn’t buy love, or health or happiness. All it does buy is "choice" (I used to say "freedom" but I have come to the conclusion it doesn't buy that either).

Whatever you do, stick to your strategy. Choice is good and it’s worth working for, but that wonderful day in the park would be wonderful if you had $10 in your pocket or $10 million. Last time I looked Nuttella was cheap!

Disclaimer: Peter Spann is an Authorised Representative of Freeman Fox Securities Limited, the Holder of an Australian Financial Services License. The material in this article is of the nature of general information only and neither purports nor intends to be advice. No consideration has been given or will be given to the individual investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person. Investments can rise and fall in value. The decision to invest and the method selected is a personal decision and involves an inherent level of risk. None of the information in this article constitutes, and must not be construed as, an offer of securities or other financial instruments. Nor is it an invitation to you to take up securities or other financial products. Nor is it a recommendation to deal in any securities or other financial products. Before making an investment decision on the basis of any information presented in this article the investor or prospective investor needs to consider, with or without the assistance of a Licensed Financial Adviser, whether the strategies are appropriate in the light of their particular investment needs, objectives and financial circumstances. Peter Spann, Freeman Fox Securities Limited and their associates may hold shares in the companies presented and will be entitled to commissions on certain products. While every effort is made to ensure accuracy the laws and strategies relating to investing, financial services and taxation are constantly changing as does the factors that effect the likelihood of investing success for example, but not limited to, the economy, government policy, market sentiment, and time, therefore the writer does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, voracity or timeliness of any of the information presented. Any examples presented are for illustration purposes only and previous results are no indication of future profits

Last edited:
See you there?

Warning - Flagrant Self Promotion Following

After all the talk of seminars and so on I thought I’d take the opportunity to mention an upcoming seminar I have been invited to speak at.

Dr John Gray (of "Men are From Mars Women are From Venus" fame) and I are presenting a program “Millionaire Mentors” all across Australia in the week of October 18 to 22nd.

It’s $69 per person with discounts for groups I believe and details are at www.marsvenuscoaching.com

My understanding of the program is about 2 ½ hours of content and about 20 minutes of “sell”. I am doing an hour.

John is remarkably good at success mindset and while it will be very upbeat should have less hype than most.

Maybe I’ll see you there and sign a copy of my book?

P.S. I have been invited to speak at one of the BIG meetings which I would love to do. As soon as we can get a date I’ll see you there too and promise lively discussion.

New Book

Well Peter,
Just got back from a week of sunning myself on a beach and basically reading books and drinking coffee (and loving it). One of the books I bought was your new one and read it over 2 days. I've got to say I really enjoyed it, moreso than your first one even!! Thoroughly enjoyed the lighthearted style it is written in, and my outlook is, if you get one snippet of info out of a 30 dollar book and utilise that in a present or future IP, then it was worth it. I would very much like to echo the sentiments of many others in saying that your presence at a BIG meeting would be way cool (and something extra to put on that ever-expanding CV of yours) ;)
Hope to see you there sometime, bring your signing hand,
Thanks,
JIM

Hi all,
I have just finished Peters book (10m property in 10yrs) and I did find it a good read.

The cycles of the suburbs, interest rates and growth was interesting.

I was hoping that Peter would have elaborated a bit more on off setting his properties with Commercial Property Trusts, as I found this a new area of interest for me. (for servicability)

I still get very frustrated because all the reading (including other books) speak of people buying, buying, buying....they just never seem to run into servicability problems.

I have loads of equity but cannott service any more properties, :( IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!! :mad:

hey JJJ, you payed $30 for the book? I picked it up at the book shop for that price, put it back and went next door to BIG W and got it for $19. :D

and Peter will still get the same royalty...

cheers

Peter Spann said:
P.S. I have been invited to speak at one of the BIG meetings which I would love to do. As soon as we can get a date I’ll see you there too and promise lively discussion.

Last Tuesday in January, Peter!

Looking forward to it!

asy :D

Peter

Any chance of you and John adding Canberra to the list for the Millionaire Mentors evening? Only down the road from Sydney and flights are cheap.

cheers
Gazza

BTW I have sent you a PM.Would love to get your comments.

gazza said:
Peter

Any chance of you and John adding Canberra to the list for the Millionaire Mentors evening? Only down the road from Sydney and flights are cheap.

cheers
Gazza

BTW I have sent you a PM.Would love to get your comments.
Gazza,

I have long wondered why Peter never (to my knowledge) presented a "Welcome to Wealth" in Canberra, especially when it was being presented to smaller centres elsewhere.

As a number one fan, I'd like to add my support to a request for you to give a presentation in Canberra, in some way, shape or form.

We do have an active investors' group here- I'm sure every member would add their support to a visit.

Huh?

Canberra - where's that?

Isn't that some wind swept plain in the centre of the country where smelliticians live? :p

Actually I am not sure why it was left off this tour - I'm just along for the ride.

We DID go to Canberra once but hardly anybody turned up - less than Adelaide - my ego couldn't handle it so I put my tail between my legs and slunk back to Sydney.

But, we have 2 of our Platinum clients from there so it can't be all bad!

I'll see if I can sneak it on my seminar agenda for next year - we are back to doing our previews next year so it might be a goer.

I agree that it depends on who the average Joe is. Does this mean anyone? Well the answer is clearly,no. Even the act of making the effort to buy and read Peter's book (or just about any other self help book) will be a selection process where people who have absolutely no faith in their ability to change their future, people who just can't be bothered to do something about it etc etc are weeded out. So in a sense, these people are already not average.
Robyne

Servicability

voodoo said:
I was hoping that Peter would have elaborated a bit more on off setting his properties with Commercial Property Trusts, as I found this a new area of interest for me. (for servicability)

I still get very frustrated because all the reading (including other books) speak of people buying, buying, buying....they just never seem to run into servicability problems.

I have loads of equity but cannott service any more properties, :( IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!! :mad:

Actually the bit on serviceability / commercial property trusts was a last minute entry (hence why it is in a box and not a separate chapter).

In order to even get it into the book (I was already well over their allowed page limit for the book) it was edited considerably.

It’s easy for me to forget these days how damn hard it was to build up all my property before I had a substantial income from my business. And quite frankly I was always struggling for "servicability" in my early days of holding.

I was always down at the bank begging – now they come to me begging. Much more fun!

To address it more I have added a whole new chapter on this in the re-print of “From Broker to Multi-Millionaire in Just 7 Years” and am negotiating with Harper Collins to add the Chapter unedited in a re-print (which is not when they actually reprint the book – that ahs already been done twice but when they stop, sell out all the old copies and then re-issue the book as they are doing with “Wealth Magic” – so that won’t be for a couple of years).

But I do know one thing and that is that the strategy (which is addressed in more detail in this thread) has been VERY popular with our clients and seems to be getting them the cash flow they need without them “resorting” to trading (which is what I did when I ran out of money to service).

A lot of our clients were turning to CF+ properties in the boondocks just for the sake of cash flow. (Again, there is nothing wrong with CF+ property, just I select my properties for capital growth primarily and this usually results in negative gearing).

We had to come up with something fast to “stem the tide” as it were, so I looked at what I had been doing that people could easily understand, had a reasonable risk profile and was high yield.

I had been getting an average of 9% PA yield on my Commercial Property Trusts but had always reinvested so the cash flow was not obvious in my strategy.

About 2 years ago we started it with clients and it has been a roaring success. To me it enables people to invest in high growth properties, cop the negative gearing on that and sort out the difference with higher yield investments.

Yes, there are some flaws in the strategy (but they have also been discussed in here), but I, and my clients it seems, like it.

The banks also understand it so are far more willing to accept those funds for servicability purposes than income from pursuits like options trading.

Peter Spann said:

We had to come up with something fast to “stem the tide” as it were, so I looked at what I had been doing that people could easily understand, had a reasonable risk profile and was high yield.

I had been getting an average of 9% PA yield on my Commercial Property Trusts but had always reinvested so the cash flow was not obvious in my strategy.

About 2 years ago we started it with clients and it has been a roaring success. To me it enables people to invest in high growth properties, cop the negative gearing on that and sort out the difference with higher yield investments.

why not make it a download from your site?

Jas

Back