Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

hello,

frankston will be a mixed basket for a long time I believe

the peninusla centre has just be sold again to a hotel chain I believe and may not get the residential units as planned

still too many charity organisation placements in frankston (ex-jail etc accomodation)

mates nickname for franga is Gandelston due to one's heavily involvment in the area, frankston sth area from yuille or kars down to beach will be solid

the pines, cheap but jingo has described issue's there

thankyou

myla

You are correct toony. Frm the second floor bedroom of the property with the clearest views, you can easily sight the proposed site for marina (more towards the south, however still dircet uninterrupted views).

Harris

Are you sure? I thought the Marina was more towards the Peninsula. But the views and location are a real asset. In 10 yrs you will be amazed at how cheap you got the property.

I believe it has received conditional approval with some minor modifications and that the work is to start within 12 months.

Having said that, the council is still light lipped about providing any further information on the projet till the approval goes unconditional.

Will post back on it as soon as I have more info.

Harris

Hi Harris,

Do you know when work is planned on the new marina? Has it been approved yet?

Regards Jason.

Hi Myla,

Had my prop re-valued in Pines (Frankston Nth) last week.

Both have increased 25% within 12 months.

It has the reputation and stigma, I know, however the gentrification process is in full swing, although might still take some time to be visible.

The street scape where I bought my property has really changed since I last went there about 15 months ago with 4 houses in my street being bought and thoroughly renovated by new owners, landscaped front yards and total absence of kerb side junk.

Similar was the case driving on Excelsior drive and adjoining streets.

Cheers
Harris

hello,

still too many charity organisation placements in frankston (ex-jail etc accomodation)

thankyou

myla

hello,

frankston will be a mixed basket for a long time I believe

the peninusla centre has just be sold again to a hotel chain I believe and may not get the residential units as planned

mates nickname for franga is Gandelston due to one's heavily involvment in the area, frankston sth area from yuille or kars down to beach will be solid

thankyou

myla

Hi myla,

As is the case with many suburbs there are often a range of areas which are aligned with the various socioeconomic demographics. These in turn are aligned with people's earning capacity. The usual mix includes the affluent, average and poorer areas. This diversity of socioeconomic demographics is also prevelant in the inner city suburbs. There are many well renowned suburbs for instance that have Housing Commission Towers and the less desirable features that accompany them. Some suburbs that spring to mind include Williamstown, North Melbourne, Kensington, Fitzroy to name but a few .

North Melbourne, for instance includes various socioeconomic demographics. The more affluent people live in Terrace homes in Hotham Hill. These are priced from $550,000-$1,000,000. The poorer area of North Melbourne is closest to the Housing Commission Tower. Accordingly, property values in this area are considerably lower. I went to an auction of a property that faced the Housing Commission Tower two weeks ago. It was a Terrace Home and it sold for $370,000.

It's interesting to note that many investors on this forum have made a considerable amount of money by investing in areas like 'The Pines' in Frankston. Over the past 10 years Frankston North has increased in value at a higher rate than other parts of Frankston. (I don't have the figures at hand, but 'Our Obsession' posted them recently in a thread).

Similar scenarios have occured interstate in lower socioeconomic areas. Elizabeth in South Australia is considered to be a lower socioeconomic area. I was reading one thread where an investor mentioned that the values had tripled in Elizabeth over the past 10 years whereas in the area she chose to invest in (a blue chip suburb in Sydney), her property had doubled in value.

Frankston will be interesting to watch over the coming months, especially as the completion of the East Link project draws closer. It's possible that there may well be a ripple effect. As people are priced out of the inner areas they may begin to discover Frankston which will be 'bought closer to the city' due to the new Freeway infrastructure.

Properties in Frankston are currently being sold very rapidly. Harris has written in detail about this in the thread by GSJ entiteld 'Outer suburbs in Melbourne - the ripple effect'.

Myla, your comments about the peninsular centre are interesting. I noticed that the units had already been marketed on the internet as early as last year.

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
I believe it has received conditional approval with some minor modifications and that the work is to start within 12 months.

Having said that, the council is still light lipped about providing any further information on the projet till the approval goes unconditional.

Will post back on it as soon as I have more info.

Kool. I reckon it will make a huge difference to Frankston. If they can use the Marina, and get the area recognised as a tourist destination, you will see Frankston go up more in value.

Frankston has much upside and potential. Sure there are some problems, but in comparison to say dandenong or cranbourne. I would rather have my money in frankston.

Hi Myla,

Had my prop re-valued in Pines (Frankston Nth) last week.

Both have increased 25% within 12 months.

It has the reputation and stigma, I know, however the gentrification process is in full swing, although might still take some time to be visible.

The street scape where I bought my property has really changed since I last went there about 15 months ago with 4 houses in my street being bought and thoroughly renovated by new owners, landscaped front yards and total absence of kerb side junk.

Similar was the case driving on Excelsior drive and adjoining streets.

Cheers
Harris

Wow Harris,

That's an excellent result, congratulations. I think we all need to come property shopping with you from now on!!!

Regards Jason.

Well done Harris

I went through that property. Too pricey for me. I am not a developer, but great block and location. you cant go wrong.

I have a unit in Nolan st, but on the other side of Kar St. What you have there, in my opinion, is the best location in Frankston.

I look forward to driving by and checking out your progress.

Hi Toony,

Are you looking to buy again in Frankston?

Regards Jason.

Hi Toony,

Are you looking to buy again in Frankston?

Regards Jason.

I would like too. But my cash flow is not too good. I am conservative by nature. My latest purchase was 12 months ago in Edithvale. Its an old house on a development site about 5 mins walk to station and a few extra to the beach.

I have bought units in the past and have now decided to go for development sites that can be developed 5 years down the track.

I did a drive by on one of my units and saw that property Harris bought, was open for inspection. So i got out the car and had a look. If i could afford the short fall on that property, I would have been extremely interested.

Great location and very big piece of land. Could keep house and possibly build 2 townhouses in the back.

Frank Nth on the move

Frankston North has seriously picked up in cap growth - Besides my 2 prop going up 25% (on official valuations) within 12 months in Frank Nth, there is nothing available under $200k in realestate.com.au, which is a huge surprise, considering that just in Dec/ Jan you could find 3/4th of the properties with asking price of under $200k.

This house (very ordinary condition inhouse, infact requires major renovations) was auctioned today - 35 people attended with 8 bidders - expected to fetch sub $175, however went for $195k+.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=4238499&s=vic&snf=rbs&tm=1180773740

Rental is $130pw..!

Looking at that property in such poor condition with that result, I would think that I can easily fetch $200k each for my 2 prop in auction, which is almost a 35% increase based on purchase price in 12 months.

Goes on to prove, that areas with bad image/perception do not stay bad forever and hence when adjoining better suburbs start moving, the ripple causes those undervalued areas to move up at a faster pace to play catch up than better areas.

I would be absolutely rapt, if Frank and Frank Sth could gain simialr increases too.

Harris

another small observation -

Out of all listings through realestate.com.au for Frankston Nth properties, 63% currently are under offer/ sold in auction.

How is that for guaging the market activity when compared with other outer suburbs at 6% clearance..?

absolutely superb .... I say !

Harris

Interesting report Harris. That was the place I saw in the web last night and I was thinking that the $130pw rent was extremely low.

Goes on to prove, that areas with bad image/perception do not stay bad forever and hence when adjoining better suburbs start moving, the ripple causes those undervalued areas to move up at a faster pace to play catch up than better areas.

As a cautionary note, i'd add that appreciation by itself does not constitute gentrification. But there may be other forces at work, eg the good value of Melbourne's bottom end, especially compared to land alone.

Compared to other capital cities, Melbourne has the cheapest bottom end (except Adelaide). And if you were to compare according to median house price (eg lowest 5 percentile as a proportion of median house price) then Melbourne's bottom end (representative suburb: Doveton) may be cheapest of all capitals.

BUT if Frankston North appreciates relative to (i) similar low s/e suburbs eg Dallas, Doveton, St Albans and (ii) 'better' areas nearby, eg Karingal, Seaford and Frankston this may indicate some gentrification. You have demonstrated this with your data on 'under offer' info and now capital appreciation so I think you've bought well.

Peter

Frankston marina update

Quick update on Frankston Marina

The council is short listing the final / successful tender and this process is expected to be finalised by the end of this month.

State gov and council finally agreed upon the financial model and the level of assistance from the State gov to the council for the project.

The completion date is June 2009 and building work should start Dec this year.

Harris

Quick update on Frankston Marina

The council is short listing the final / successful tender and this process is expected to be finalised by the end of this month.

State gov and council finally agreed upon the financial model and the level of assistance from the State gov to the council for the project.

The completion date is June 2009 and building work should start Dec this year.

Harris

This is great news for all investors in Frankston!!

I put an offer in on 6 White St, Footscray. They were initially quoting $320k+. Couldn't believe it sold for $452,000!

I also had a look at 3 Southampton St Footscray before it was listed with an agent. An agent I know in the area valued this property at $300-$330k. I took one look and thought no way! I was expecting it to sell in the mid to high $400k's. Amazing result. The property is on a huge block with dual street frontage.

Cheers,
Ozi

My sister told me it was her husband who went for a walk early this morning and saw the dirt on the road and called the SES.

Back