Renting out room by room to max. return

Hi

I've got a house very close to a uni in Syd - currently a 3 bed config but with a little work, could be 4 beds. There's only 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen - cant increase this. Plus, the common areas will be very small as a result of me creating a 4th bedroom.

I've always leased it out as a regular rental but now trying to squeeze out more rent (if I can). Has anyone done this? Is it worth doing? Whats the turnover like and is it worth the hassle? What about responsibility for the property? Who has responsibility if someone burns down the kicthen, say?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks

I think i can help with this. i was married and then went through a divorce. so that has meant going back to living like a 30 something in shared houses for a bit. As 'head tennant' one rents a place with say 4-5 bedrooms. If you jig well on an xls spreadsheet you can gear so you as head tennant live free.

Learning this trick I figured this was a smart way to go rather than say buying an IP and sticking tennants in. As 'head tennant' if I moved out and leased my room then I could pop in whenever I wanted to check up on the place.

Then when i moved into international education (my job is as compliance manager) i learnt of homestay. i learnt of a lot of savvy homestay providers who do not in fact have students staying in their homes, but in-fact have leased out a house on a room by room basis. Smart away around all the issues and risks of leasing to one tennant only as you always have access to the property.

I learnt from a wonderful forum member here who was so generous in her help and support mentoring me that homestay allows a home owner to have up to two students max in their home as boarders and that generates $20K PA and the ATO is not concerned with.

I guess when one lives a less conventional lifestyle there are so many investment opportunities that those in the main do not even consider. Now i have a corporate relocation to Sydney and will look to buy a place Co-share (think Pod Property) or will do the same model again where I am the 'boarding marm' so to speak.

An easy way to live savvy, practically rent free and have more money for investments that one can have access to at any time.
I hope this is helpful relevant and even remotely on the right track.

As 'head tennant' one rents a place with say 4-5 bedrooms. If you jig well on an xls spreadsheet you can gear so you as head tennant live free.

Hi Amanda,

Yeah, I did that back in 1973 when I was a Uni student. A mate and I rented an old house with 5 bedrooms for $40 pw then rented out 3 for $15 each making $5 profit a week. Wish I knew then what I know now though!

Cheers,

Bazza

Thanks for the replies but i wasnt planning on living there too. But i get the gyst. The problem i have is the anticipated irregular rental income. Does the increased rent more than compensate for periods where one/2 rooms stay vacant for a while?

We are thinking of doing this with an apartment.I'm curious about the petty details.
I would assume I would provide toilet paper, assortment of small kitchen aplliances, dishes etc?
Cleaning of the common areas once a week?
Are the shared accommodation properties co -ed?

I think the concept can legally work if you are living there otherwise it could be considered as a boarding house which brings with it a whole host of regulations.

As per Amanda we have a lady up the road from our PPOR who takes in overseas students and is making some very good returns, something like $150 per night , but that includes feeding them.

So there are certainly different ways to turn a quid.

Cheers

Hi There

Until recently, we had 5 porperties that we room rented. All in all we found it to be a good way to reduce our shortfall, however it took us some time to install a system that worked.
We found that it was not profitable unless there was at least 5 rooms in a house because we paid all out goings such as electricity and water. We also found that although some of the properties were within walking distance to a uni, we never attracted any uni students. Each room was fitted out with a bed, side table and cubboard. The kitched was fitted out with fridge, cooking utensils, cuttlery, microwave etc. The laundrey we supplied with a washing machine. Each room door was fitted out with a key locked handle which the tenant had a key as we did. If they lost their key, then out their own cost, they had to replace it. No telephone lines were supplied for obvious reasons.
Because no agent would take on room rentals, we had to do the managing and as a result, we "had" to come up with a system which was time effective as well as easy to manage.
We would first look for properties that would achieve good capital growth and that were well located to major shops, train line and transport. Because we needed 5 bedrooms to be profitable, we would source minimum 3 B/R houses and then convert the lounge room into a bedroom as well as the garage. All tenants were on 1 month leases (for insurance reasons) and we would role each lease over continually for as long as they stayed. We found that the unemployed were the main tenant we attracted and also the easiest to manage. In fact the worst payers were those with jobs. With the unemployed, we set up a connection to centrelink via the computer whereas their payments were directly deposited into our account and if for some reason they cancelled their payment, we would get notice at least a day before payment was due which gave us time to approach the tenant for an explanation. The other good thing about the unemployed was that because of their situation, the department of housing would supply them with at least 4 weeks bond and in our case they would give us 6 weeks bond because the rooms were furnished. The system worked so well that centrelink, DOH, council services etc would refer people to us.
Over a period of some 5 years, we have only had a handfull of major problems, however nothing that was more than a headache.
In our situation and with the type of tenants we attracted, we are very strict on the way we "manage" the tenants. There are no excuses, no late payments, no drugs, no violence or abuse and most of all, no emotion. Having said all that, we are not the evil landlord, we are strict but fair.
In closing, I would suggest that anyone considering this avenue be prepared for alot of problems at first and more importantly, be very particular in where and what type of property you choose to convert to a room rental and what type of tenant you think you wiil or want to attract. Having said all that, the rewards are there if you can get it right.

Best of luck

similar - I have all students and they are terrific folks generally. Biggest prob I have had in 20 odd students is some chipped paint. I get a cleaner through each Jan for the new year - gets pretty grubby by Dec.

I have written about it earlier. Will add more later but I am busy right now with some dramas of my own.

...correct me if I'm wrong, but reading between the lines of what Amanda, Dash and Simon have written, it appears to be an example of a business model that does not lend itself well to replication and multiplication.

Simon - would your Bank support you buying 10 or 20 of these type of properties - would you want to own this many of them.

I suspect something that hasn't been listed as yet, is preventing these proponents from scaling up the operations to a point where it makes some serious money.

If I'm correct, then I'd suspect that reason might be a combination of ;

1. Something in the legislation
2. If it takes you to physically live in the place to control them, then obviously that won't work.
3. Banks not impressed with the quality of the income stream
4. Insurance imposts
5. PM fees (if they'd take it on) with multiple props would be significant.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has a working, large scale business model of this type of property. It sounded like Dash had something going there for a while, but chucked it in. As per kathryn_d, I'd also like to know why they no longer hold these props.

In my view, what's gets you wealthy is a model that is repeatable and needs little to no personnel input, along with lowish risks. It doesn't look like this type of property fulfills that notion.

Now if you are not interested in becoming truly wealthy, and like the personal interaction of all of the different types of folks that you'd be forced to deal with, it may be just your cup of tea.

Disclaimer : I've never owned this type of prop...so as usual I'm probably talking rubbish.

We have asked our live in supers what they think of us taking a 3 bedroom unit (out of 11) and turning it into a shared accommodation. I have offered them a proposal and am waiting to hear back from them. They would be the ones doing the cleaning, leasing etc, for which there would be extra compensation.
Without their help, we wouldn't do it.

However, when Rob and I move back to Aus in a couple of years,I can see us having something similar to this.

Hi KathrynD

Short answer to your question is that we had a business partnership that has recently been disolved and those 5 particular properties ended up on their side of the ledger and we ended up with others.

Hi Dazzling

You are correct in saying that duplicating this into something of giant proportions would be a challenge, however we are now purchasing property to turn them into room rentals again and plan to have 5 up and running by the end of next year. I figure if I can have a couple of $mil worth of property in the Sydney market that is at least nuetrally geared, I can set and forget them. As far as banks are concerned, our lenders just want to see the income statements/ rental ledgers to confirm our figures. Our houses ran at 95% occupancy. From a legal standing, we have had no problems. We were fully covered by insurance (except for loss of rent), the council had no issue with us and infact refered certain departments to us. Finding a agent to manage it can be a problem hence we managed it ourselves but I have since found a agent to manage at 7% of rent collected.
Once again, its not the easy option, however it can be rewarding.

Hi dash11. I wonder if you know the reason that "boarding houses" have (I suspect) lots of regulations but the way you have set up your houses avoid some of these?

Friends contracted on a huge old gracious queenslander (but didn't go ahead with the purchase in the end) which had something like 20 rooms. I suppose it was a boarding house and I would have thought there would have been plenty of hoops to jump through in order to run this type of set up.

These friends ended up buying several blocks of flats instead, which I assume are easier to manage, but not sure.

Just curious about the difference between the "boarding house" scenario and the "let by the room" scenario, if you know the answer.

Wylie

Hi wyle

Our understanding is that a boarding house requires you to supply meals, linen, a certain amount of car spaces, fire proofing etc, whereas we classed ours as lodging and therefore were not bound by the above. We also found that being classed as a boarding house required special zoning and therefore the banks did not want a bar of it when it came time for more funds.

I.

As per Amanda we have a lady up the road from our PPOR who takes in overseas students and is making some very good returns, something like $150 per night , but that includes feeding them.

So there are certainly different ways to turn a quid.

Cheers
Thats cheap! Full board on Homestay rates is between $225-$250 per week.
I charge $150 for a room only.

I would like to have a house similar to this. We take a room and rent the rest. Borrowing at 8% (P&I) for 25 yrs

If you rented each room for $150 week it would just cover the mortgage.

Back