Ropes Crossing?

Just wondering if anyone has purchased an IP in Ropes Crossing or has considered it?

If you have, what has your experience been with tenants (good/ bad for paying rent and up keep of house?)

If you considered but didn't purchase, what made you stay away?

TIA,

Merlot :)

Cliff - do you mean you wouldn't consider it because it's close to Mt Druitt and you wouldn't go there... or because you'd rather buy in Mt Druitt because returns have been better? Thanks :)

I don't think Mt Druitt has the stigma of dodgy town attached to it anymore like it used to.

I have helped alot of people around this area gain finance in the past 6-7 years and the majority are phillipinos.

They are pushing the prices in western sydney sky high.

I even have a RE agent as a client and he said properties are moving quicker now than ever, his buyers book is overloaded and isn't unusual to have 20-30 groups of people through for a first open house/unit/thouse. And place is sold within a few weeks if that.

Indians and Phillipinos pushing the market round that way, why?

They don't know about the stigma attached to it, they're relatively new in the country and see it being affordable, so they pounce on it.

If I was going to buy in mt Druitt I would have bought a year ago , but I didn't .

In ropes crossing you're paying a relatively high price in relative close proximity to .... What's a nice way of putting it .... Well , Mt Druitt .

That proximity will , IMHO , limit the potential up side in ropes crossing.

I don't think any of the long term forumites at still buying in mt Druitt at this stage of the cycle though there's a constant stream of people asking for opinions about the area.

If I was buying there , I'd want th majority of the capital growth in the current cycle ahead of me in the current cycle , but a fair bit has already happened .

Cliff

I don't think Mt Druitt has the stigma of dodgy town attached to it anymore like it used to.

Indians and Phillipinos pushing the market round that way, why?

They don't know about the stigma attached to it, they're relatively new in the country and see it being affordable, so they pounce on it.

Mmm . Interesting .

Maybe there will be a total repopulation of the area with all of the current residents moving out ...

Time will tell.

It will take a lot to shift my opinion :eek:

Cliff

I bought in Mt Druitt last year even though I would never live there myself

Mt Druitt had good transport, shops and above all else, cheap!

Ropes Crossing for the life of me can't see any CG potential, out in the middle of no where, no infrastructure and much higher price then surrounding suburbs???

why not

Disclaimer: I am an owner on Ropes Crossing so it will be bias.

Well the way i see it.. people from my culture (and probably other Asian too) like anything new.. build quality come in lower priority..
If we have 2 option 50 years old build with 1000m2 land vs new built on 200-300m2 land on the same area, the missus will chose the later.

The reason we bought it because not much option for new development around 400k for a house

I had a look around it when it first opened up several years ago out of curiosity .

I thought they had done a nice job of developing it and the houses were fine for what you got ..... But you could still see through the chain wire fence to mt Druitt.

Location , location , location .

Cliff

Actually, to be fair I took a drive around a couple of weeks back. It was, well, quite nice. Nice variety of good looking houses, couple of parks and some shops on the way. Wider streets than around other new suburbs, no tyre marks, dumped cars, no junk. Bit of a hidden island in a sea of ex-DHA.

I didn't even lock the car door when driving :eek:

But would I invest there? No way! I'd buy two across the "Bogan Proof Fence" first, better yield and better drivers for growth.

Hi my husband and I are building a house in Ropes Crossing but to live in. We are first home buyers and after much research we found it was the nicest suburb we could afford. We wanted to buy new so that we could take advantage of the 15K grant and no stamp duty. We were also looking for something reasonably close to both our families (I'm from Cherrybrook and he's from Quakers Hill). Since buying our land just over a year ago the price there has gone up a lot. We were lucky we bought when we did. We bought a 375m block for 240K and are building a 2 storey 5 bedroom house on it. All up our house and land together cost about $550k. We bought at the right time when they were offering a $10k bonus on some blocks. So with the 15K grant and the 10K bonus our 5 bedroom house is really only costing us $525k and we didn't have to pay stamp duty. 5 bedroom houses in Ropes Crossing are now selling for $600k+ so we are happy that by the time we move in in August we would have made 75K-100K on the value of our house. We love the area. We have great neighbours and we are walking distance to shops, a primary school and regular buses to a train station. The proximity to St Marys station is great and currently living on the Northern Beaches we can't wait to finally have some decent public transport. There are a lot of young newly weds moving in there because it is so affordable so I think the area will really improve because the people buying there generally aren't bogans, they are young professionals. We go out there all the time and walk around and it is so peaceful and quiet. I'm a teacher and my husband is studying Aerospace Engineering and when he finishes uni and is on a good income we plan on staying there because there is nowhere else we would rather live and raise a family. Rental return seems to be pretty good. Renting there is about the same as mortgage repayments. I think there is definite room for growth especially considering its proximity to the new business park going in at Marsden Park and that when they eventually put the airport in at Badgerys Creek a train line will run from St Marys. A road is going to connect Ropes Crossing to Jordan Springs and in between these suburbs is going to be a third suburb which is going to have a lot more business as well as residential and we're hoping a high school because that is all that is really lacking.

I had a look around it when it first opened up several years ago out of curiosity .

I thought they had done a nice job of developing it and the houses were fine for what you got ..... But you could still see through the chain wire fence to mt Druitt.

Location , location , location .

Cliff

the cops had a hard time working out why places were getting broken in to earlier on when it was starting. they eventually realised it was the neighbours!

It is in a tricky spot. but it will be hard and take time for mt druitt to step up. it has improved over the years but has a long way to go. St Marys on the other hand has dropped down to mt druitts level. such a shame the old wogs that built after the war would be disgusted in the place. My grand parents built there and my aunty recently visited to reminisce.... she saw enough and wont be going back

Viva la Druitt!

I think the facilities provided by Ropes Crossing are great for the surrounding suburbs eg Coles shopping centre, the community club, nice walking areas.

I show my prospective tenants these facilities and they are all very impressed (if they don't already know about Ropes Crossing).

Oh yeah, I select my own tenants now. No more riff raff from the agents. Rather keep my property empty than have some dreadful tenant anyday.

This approach is also better for the area. Kick the shocker tenants out! right out of Sydney I say. Viva la Druitt!

I heard break-ins are common in most new areas because there are not a lot of people around but now that the population has grown break-ins should be less common. Here's hoping! We are getting a pretty good security system installed anyway. If anyone breaks into our house they will quickly realise that we have nothing worth stealing because we have spent everything on our house! I have to say I am impressed with the lack of vandalism there. I have seen a lot more on the Northern Beaches/North Shore. when I first started teaching I did quite a bit of casual teaching at Willmot so I am aware of the social issues. It was tough teaching there but I found that most of the kids were nice once you got to know them and built up some trust.

Back