Should I have faith in my local investment network?

Do you know what you are shopping for and why?

Has anyone sat down with you to work out what you actually want long term from your portfolio, and therefore work back wards to define what you actually need in terms of lender and product mix at any point in time ?

My guess would be no. Most bankers and brokers run the current deal, and if they are pro active, the next. Few go to the effort to challenge and engage you to show you your real potential using your resources.

ta

rolf

Rolf is spot on.

You will find that most will focus on the current and not take into account your future goals.

You need a banker or broker that is proactive not reactive.

Future goals and plans need to be taken into consideration before not after when its too late.

Somersoft has a very wide readership. I've found there's a huge number of people who regularly read the forums and never write a single post, which is fine. Despite the large number of readers, the total number of property investors in Australia is substantially larger so you certainly can't qualify a service provider or property investor based on their exposure to this site.

There's also a large number of people who have heard of Somersoft. They've read a few posts but ultimately decided that they're forging their own path, or they're not interested in sharing their experiences via this type of medium. I think most of my top 10 clients have heard of Somersoft but few of them are regular contributors. I've also told a few property professionals about Somersoft. The forum would likely greatly benefit from their expertise and I'm sure they'd generate loads of business in return, yet they don't feel comfortable contributing.

There's also loads of ex contributors out there who no longer post. see_change mentioned Dale GG, Nick M, sim , goanna , ruby, mark b, Rixter, Jacques, michael g, yuck, The Wife, Micheal Croft. All have been amazing contributors at one time or another (look up some old posts). Most haven't contributed in years.

You definitely can't judge people if they don't contribute here. Instead use the forum to gain a basis of understanding property investing. You'll then be in a better position to judge the quality of the information you do receive and to debate the ideas with them.

There's also no reason why you can't organize a meeting of Somersoft people in TAS. I know there's quite a few people residing in TAS who contribute or lurk on the forums. Just organize a time and place at a restruant then put a post in the meeting point section. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll go out to dinner one night. :)

There's also loads of ex contributors out there who no longer post.... yuck, The Wife, Micheal Croft. All have been amazing contributors at one time or another (look up some old posts). Most haven't contributed in years.

Uh..... are you sure you spelled that right? :confused::D

The worst thing that can happen is that you'll go out to dinner one night. :)

Minor correction/append:

The worst thing that can happen is that you'll go out to dinner one night by yourself. :D

The Y-man

It depends on what stage of investing you are at. Clearly some of those contributors from many years ago no longer do so because they are retired (and have made it) and property has given them what they need. Most important thing is to pick professionals that you are comfortable with....and I would either ditch the banker or the broker - don't have both as it isn't healthy.

Back