Still motivated in your day job?

As for jobs, I always thought if you have to do something, may as well do it as best you can and be the best you can.
Take pride in your work and yourself.

well said!

....what about autonomy.

and there in lies the trade off. autonomy is really a key end goal and what I am ultimately aiming for. But for now I need to keep working on every "asset" possible to get me there.

Brilliant!

Thank you for all these comments! I really thought that I was alone on this topic. great to see others battle with the same issues. There have been some great posts - quite motivating. I like rereading this thread when im on a workday lull....

thank god Ive got this wonderful forum to keep me motivated. :)

"As the love of property investing grows, so the love of my profession wanes..."

Once I discovered that property investing was going to be my route out of the rat race (around 7 years ago), I have lost all interest in striving within my profession (day job). I have no interest in climbing the corporate ladder (AKA: spending more time in the office for limited gain). When my manager recently questioned my work ethic, instead of pushing me to work harder at my job, his pep talk instead pushed me to work harder at my property investing to hurry my path out of the rat race.

However, I am still at a stage, like many, where although the day job is not my future, it is still a very important (financial) part of my current life, and I need to not lose fact of the importance of that weekly salary still filtering in (for now...).

So the question I pose to those of you in a similar situation is:

How do you overcome or manage this disinterest in your day job?

Im really interested in others' experience with this.

Cheers

Lou.
www.significantimagery.com.au

Easy; change jobs and/or careers.

Most people are too frightened (or too in debt - i.e frightened of losing everything) to do this. They'd rather live on their knees than die on their feet, so to speak..

My lifespan for a job is about 5 years I've found.

Actually; it's about 2 years, and then I stick it out hating it for another 3. :D

The big change is when you realise your day job is just a means to your financial end, rather than the warm, cosy career that will see you out until retirement.

You reach a point where the financial plan is in place, the goal is wealth, early retirement, lots of IP's or all of the above, and the job has simply become part of the vehicle to get there, and is not the be-all-and-end-all.

Then you are ready and brave enough to change jobs. Why be miserable in your job, when you can be happy in another one and earn the same dough?

Or not even the same dough; take a minor pay cut to get a more fun life, and the new plan you are on will get you out of the rat-race more quickly.

Kudos to RPI

Loved your story and infact I am hoping to embark on a similar round of aquiring small buisness's to be manged by others - once ove given up my day job! So your comments were quite thought provoking.

Not that i can complain (outwardly) about my day job.

- have earnt 6 figues for 15 years - 200k + for last 6 years
- last 8 years havent worked more than 1 hour per day 9although ive put in dencent office hours
- Last few years worked part at home and part n office
- travelled to 20 odd countries for work
- always travelled biz and stayed at 5 star hotels etc etc

But my story is more a sotry of a square peg trying to fit in a round hole and hence kept moving and as luck would have it to better paying jobs. in turth i think most of the time I have been unhappy in my day job and the only thing that has kept me interested has been the perks and the idea that by the age of 40 maybe I would have some security (is that ever treally achievable) and be able to do something more befitiing to my personality type. Damm i hate being good ast something i dont really like - its makes it difficult to leave.

Anyway my plan over the next few years is to use my asset equity (no debt) to invest and be creative in a number of small (low risk) bisuiness enterpises and see how they go. i am one of those dick smith types in waiting ( I reckon anyway) that thinks they can take a bad small biz, or even a small biz idea and turn it into a winner.

The aim is to have 3 or 4 small business each being managed, each being easy to run, bringing in a half decent amount to keep me and the family in jocks, underware and a mid range private school for the next 20 years.

The advantage I think of this concept is that most small biz owners NEED to make a decent profit (say 50-100k) to make the biz worthwhile or else they will just go and stack shelves. I positive cashlfow biz owner (for want of a better word) maybe happy with 20k profits per year as long as its low risk, and easy to to duplicate, easy to give to someone else to manage..

Thats the idea anyway.

I will have a crack at one idea and see how we go after 12 months. If it turns sour and I hve blown 50k then the loss isnt that much really. My assets should have gone up by that much, my wife will still be working and I have a resume that will allow me to get a 100k job if need be...

anyway thats a little snapshot of my headspace.

Good to see someone doing this successfully (on the forum) well done rpi (how about being my mentor! ha!)

(sorry spelling)

Cheers
Aussie

Last edited:
Great stories & reads on here!

I love my jobs!!!

My main job is wife of my hubby & Mum of our 3 gorgeous kids.

My second job & first career is that of a nurse. I love it. Have nursed for 13 years...worked casually & still climbed the corporate ladder. I tell them when I am available & get booked accordingly. I am viewed as a senior clinician despite still working casually & enjoy it to bits. I love my job!!!

The best bit is that the job I love helps assist our property investing journey.

I think I have the best of both worlds.

Above Average

I love my jobs!!!

My second job & first career is that of a nurse. I love it. Have nursed for 13 years...worked casually & still climbed the corporate ladder. I tell them when I am available & get booked accordingly. I am viewed as a senior clinician despite still working casually & enjoy it to bits. I love my job!!!

The best bit is that the job I love helps assist our property investing journey.

Above Average

Good on ya, AA.

Nurses RULE.

My wife is one.

Well I am at the top of my career as a consultant and I am pretty bored with it.

I did let myself slack and get into a negative mindset about my work and frankly that does nothing but hurt me. So now I am back on my game and it feels better when I go in and do an outstanding job and be the diva that I am.

As for telling people what I do on the weekend or anytime when I am not at work, why tell them anything other than some generic boring thing? It is not like they are my friends.

After one day, I had enough. I went back to my airconditioned office, decent desk, decent PC, decent coffee machine which I don't have to clean, fast internet without worrying about download limits, crazy loveable people running around me who do what I told them, a full blown colour docucentre....yep, it doesn't come any better.

As the success in property investing grows, so the love of my profession grows....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Public service must be very different from the private sector, where we have to cope with the jobs outsourced to India, long term employees performance rated unsatisfactory so the shifty company can sack without compensation etc. All the BS that we have to put up with ! Long live property investing, goodbye rat race where jealousy is rife and human nature at its worst in the workplace.

Last edited:

I love my jobs!!!

Above Average
AA, I may encourage my daughter to get into nursing, but I hear nurses have leg problems and need surgery because of standing all day, is this true ?

Last edited:
Public service must be very different from the private sector, where we have to cope with the jobs outsourced to India, long term employees performance rated unsatisfactory so the shifty company can sack without compensation etc. All the BS that we have to put up with ! Long live property investing, goodbye rat race where jealousy is rife and human nature at its worst in the workplace.

I'm in the private sector - our parent company is a listed multinational.... I hear you re. outsourcing etc. We're providers of outsoruced managed services ourselves, so we compete head on with international providers.

We recently had to let go about 1/3 of our workforce, but we paid out 4 weeks per year of service and accrued A/L. Fortnightly staff on EBA also got all accumulated unused sick leave paid out.

Cheers,

The Y-man

AA, I may encourage my daughter to get into nursing, but I hear nurses have leg problems and need surgery because of standing all day, is this true ?

No; not true.

yes, there are the usual bad backs, and varicose veins can occur etc, which are more prevalent in hands-on, standing up jobs than not, but from my 3 years experience working in the Frangers Hospital, the majority of nurses are middle-aged woman who are out of shape physically anyway.

Sorry to generalise, but it's my observation, and I'd be betting that most of these injuries would be in this category of workers.

And, to be very blunt, there are also a decent number of healthcare workers who are milking a very easy wrought that is "bad back" compensation.

If your daughter is active, stays in shape and follows all the no-lift policies of the hospital, she can look forward to a long, relatively injury free career as a nurse if she wishes.

It's nothing compared to putting up with whining patients and whining pain-in-the derrier relatives and tosser doctors who think they are god and therefore should always be rude to mere mortals.

Apart form all that - it's a great industry to work in. :D

For a few years now I have been overlooked for promotion because i'm not in the inner *purple circle* It used to get me down and very angry. I have been trying to get out and start somewhere new so I can earn more and be treated better. At least the people in my immediate team and my supervisor are good people. We all get along well.

Well I got promoted. :D

Its an expression of interst contract. It nearly didnt happen though because the supervisor made up some story that she didnt even realise I sent her my application. Good thing I kept all my emails as proof. She said it somehow got into her junk email box. Well lmao she got all the other applicants applications yet mine went astray. I played along and said I understood, cos I want the job.

She had no choice but to offer me the oppotunity. Three other people were inappropriate. One only wanted to work 2 days a week and another applicant would be unable to do the job due to a disability. The third is very inexperienced. I was the most experienced of the lot. 7 years worth of experience in the same business area. Good skills, knowledge experience etc

Ok so heres how the story unfolded. I heard one of the guys who had only been working with us for a few months say that he and this other fellow got the two jobs going and get this *they didnt even apply for the job*

I went to my bosses boss and said I didnt think it was fair that I applied for the job but didnt get it and the two boys that got the job didnt even apply for it. Thats when the supervisor came and spoke to me and told me she didnt realise I had applied. I went along and was very polite etc etc.

She then had to go back and tell one of the boys he didnt get the promotion now cos I got it!

So yey I have been promoted. I dont know how long it will last because the managers on that team do not like me but I will be positive, start afresh, work hard, head down bum up and just try hard to get along with everyone.

Also I went for an interview for a permanent position on Monday. I really want to start somewhere new. Start over again.

So yey I have been promoted. I dont know how long it will last because the managers on that team do not like me but I will be positive, start afresh, work hard, head down bum up and just try hard to get along with everyone.

Also I went for an interview for a permanent position on Monday. I really want to start somewhere new. Start over again.

It will be a good learning opportunity. I will make sure I make a lot of notes so that I'll have some good examples for my next interview.

I cant wait to get to use this noggin of mine a bit more. :)

its amusing to read this post with regards to 'your day job'.
I'm looking at it with reference to my first (and only remaining business).
Its a bit sentimental because it was my first business.
I look at the profits i have made from my residential properties and from investing in the share market, then i compare it to the businesses profits.
(Just made the last 10 years worth of business profit in two years from my property and share investments).
I have to admit it does effect your way of thinking. My attitude this year has been: staff i'm keeping this business because you are all loyal staff, many of you have been with me for nearly 10yrs.
Just dont give me headaches, if you want the business to survive (and hence your paycheck, start being proactive), it actually no longer matters to me. Even if the business goes bankrupt i loose less than 10% of my assets. It doesnt really matter to me anymore, better i concentrate on the remaining 90% of assets.

For the most part the staff are good, so my next delema is how do i 'distribute' the business amongst the staff.

I look at the profits i have made from my residential properties and from investing in the share market, then i compare it to the businesses profits.
(Just made the last 10 years worth of business profit in two years from my property and share investments).
I have to admit it does effect your way of thinking. My attitude this year has been: staff i'm keeping this business because you are all loyal staff, many of you have been with me for nearly 10yrs.
Just dont give me headaches, if you want the business to survive (and hence your paycheck, start being proactive), it actually no longer matters to me. Even if the business goes bankrupt i loose less than 10% of my assets. It doesnt really matter to me anymore, better i concentrate on the remaining 90% of assets.

For the most part the staff are good, so my next delema is how do i 'distribute' the business amongst the staff.

Have you thought of offering them the chance to buy a share of the business?

This will recoup some of your invested time and money, and keep them motivated.

I did a similar thing a few years ago.
It's hard to let go of something you enjoyed doing for >10yrs.
But while I enjoyed the work, the staffing problems I could'nt stand.
I was always flexible, never refused a time off request, mostly filling in myself.
But on day my attitude changed. I paid out my loan, only a few K left on it, and told the staff I'm resigning from full time duties.
They are now working for themselves and their own job, with my role being as an overseer and admin.
And i gave them a few incentives.

I don't think the "if it goes broke i don't care" approach is very productive.
It gives no reason for anybody else to, and they'll start looking elsewhere for a job. And I do actually care, and it's still fun.

Chillia I'm not sure about "distributing the business" but you my want to distribute any profits.
I suggest looking at Amway's compensation and bonus payout plans, which I adapted to suit myself.

---

Kim5 yours is only one side of the story.
I've never had a bad employee who did'nt think he/she was good if not better than the others.
And any employee who demands anything, is not worth having imo.
And there's a difference between time at work and being able to do work.
Seniority should never be a reason to promote imo.
Any employer or manager worth their salt does'nt wait for "applications", they fill the positions.
You sound anything but positive towards your job, what do you expect in return.
Maybe you should broaden your vision of the workplace.
You could even start your own business.

It usually has to be a compromise

Interesting thread.

I’ve spend a bit of time over the last few years philosophizing the “do what you love” point of view. I have come to the conclusion that to be content in your working life and have a good work/home balance most people have to make a compromise of sorts between doing something they love and earning enough to keep them to the level of comfort they are happy with.

I love pottering around my garden but I don’t think any one would pay me enough to do that as a job. There are plenty of artists and actors doing what they love and only a very small percentage ever make big bucks at it.

By the same token earning mega bucks but working long hours, never seeing your family and hating your job so much you dread the thought of waking up in the morning isn’t the best situation.

You have to do something that motivates you enough to get there and do the job to the best of your ability and that pays you enough to get you a reasonable standard of life.

In short for most it’s a case of doing what you don’t mind and earning enough to get you through life without starving or living in a cardboard box.

Of course if your lucky enough to earn good money doing a job you absolutely love, that’s great. Wish I had that situation.

i reckon if the staff can't be ar53d keepin gthe business afloat to keep themselves in a job, why should you?

fold it if it become a liability and watch their sad little faces react then.

Back