Still motivated in your day job?

Bayview,
I'd be more concerned he is trying to hide money from you.Does he do jobs for cash in hand, or ring it in as one job and charge the customer another if they pay him in cash.

Bayview,
I'd be more concerned he is trying to hide money from you.Does he do jobs for cash in hand, or ring it in as one job and charge the customer another if they pay him in cash.

He doesn't use the cash register at all.

The only people who do are the Manager and I.

Every job we do has a jobcard, and a customer invoice to match it, so it's very hard for them to do what you are saying.

They may take some of the supplies I guess - things like engine treatments, or oil filters or whatever, but the two mechanics always knock off before the Manager, and they always walk out before him with nothing in their hands other than car keys and a VB stubbie. :D

The other mechanic does some work at home on the w'ends which I knew/know about, but he knows that if they are any of our customers it would be not good for his future employment prospects.

"As the love of property investing grows, so the love of my profession wanes..."

Once I discovered that property investing was going to be my route out of the rat race (around 7 years ago), I have lost all interest in striving within my profession (day job). I have no interest in climbing the corporate ladder (AKA: spending more time in the office for limited gain). When my manager recently questioned my work ethic, instead of pushing me to work harder at my job, his pep talk instead pushed me to work harder at my property investing to hurry my path out of the rat race.

However, I am still at a stage, like many, where although the day job is not my future, it is still a very important (financial) part of my current life, and I need to not lose fact of the importance of that weekly salary still filtering in (for now...).

So the question I pose to those of you in a similar situation is:

How do you overcome or manage this disinterest in your day job?

Im really interested in others' experience with this.

Cheers

Lou.
www.significantimagery.com.au

Interesting question. I have never been interested in climbing the corporate ladder. I can't stand the politics, the BS, the sucking up, and the admin of management jobs.

For me, the investment side is a different way to build up an asset base for retirement rather than depending on one company or career strategy.

That doesn't mean you have to be disinterested in your job. For me, it simply means that it is an 8 hour per day job. I don't need to put in the extra hours to climb the ladder, that's all. I still like doing my job & do it well. My employer recognise that & is quite happy with the arrangement.

There were some places I have worked that seem to measure output as time spent in the office. That tends to reward those who focus on looking busy rather being productive. I don't hang these places very long.

If you are in one of those places, look for an employer that focuses on work done, not time spent.

I believe that if you don't like your job, you shouldn't hang around. That's where you spend most of your time.

Cheers,

Interesting question. I have never been interested in climbing the corporate ladder. I can't stand the politics, the BS, the sucking up, and the admin of management jobs.
I thought I were the only one in this world to feel this way, as there is no one openly talk about this. Workplace is like a cage where people cannibal each other due to self interest, not good for one's mind & spirit. This guy at work on the surface he seems nice, as soon as he becomes my boss he is a s.o.b. On the other hand, my wife has never been bothered by this, she is perfectly happy to be an employee. I am glad PI enable me out of the rat race, other people worry getting retrenched, but I ask to be let go asap.

Last edited:
I can't stand the politics, the BS, the sucking up, and the admin of management jobs.

This is the other interesting thing you might find when working becomes an option - the politics becomes fun (although you need to be mindful of any unintended consequences to people you don't mean to harm).

If they need you more than you need them, you're the one people suck up to....

Cheers,

The Y-man

This is the other interesting thing you might find when working becomes an option - the politics becomes fun (although you need to be mindful of any unintended consequences to people you don't mean to harm).

If they need you more than you need them, you're the one people suck up to....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I have met some people people who seem to enjoy the process. However, I didn't.

What was most difficult for me was to disassociate myself from the sense of achievement I enjoyed when I was doing technical work. For me, being able to enjoy my job is top priority. When doing technical work, this was fairly easy as I knew I had fixed problems, created something useful, or achieved something worthwhile by the end of the day.

I found it much harder to get this feeling as a manager. You can through the day only going through meetings, emails, & admin trivia. There would be days where I would question whether I did anything useful today and 'earned' my income.

Please don't take this personally (as it may not be relevant to your situation), but I have seen some office politically oriented people who couldn't care less about what they achieved for the company. For them, it's all a game only for their own self-interest. It's all about how to look good, making the right impression, and getting to know the right people. It's a game of deceipt & manipulation. I observed that game, and even participated sometimes when I had to. But it made me sick inside, I started to hate my job. I left this company shortly after.

There are probably places where politics are not that bad, and doing something useful is better rewarded than making an impression. It all depends on the company. It seems to me that, the larger the company, the worse the company politics get though.

Now I am back to being a humble technical expert, doing something that I enjoy doing. The extra 20k I could get from being a manager are simply not worth it, I'm much happier to focus on my investments instead.

Cheers,

This is the other interesting thing you might find when working becomes an option - the politics becomes fun (although you need to be mindful of any unintended consequences to people you don't mean to harm). The Y-man

I have found since work is becoming an option for me I have started tackling the biggest problem(s) that most in our section talk about but haven't had the courage to do anything about. Next year should be an interesting experience!

Sheryn

As the topic title reads "Still motivated in my day job?"

Yes I am. Things have changed. I turned down the job of team leader. I would have done a good job but to me my work/life balance is far more important. I wouldn't have had the energy for it! Would have been too stressful! even though I knew I would have enjoyed the challenge.

My main priority is my health. I dont want the longer hours, the stress. I want to be able to have the time for the exercise for a social life. The freedom that i get in my role as team member. So the guy that got the job. He's been there for a few months. I've been around 7 years. I have been supporting him and enjoying that role. We are getting along well which is great.

The good thing in all this is that i have spare time and energy to concentrate on investing and keeping myself fit and happy. lol the new team leader however is not getting on well with the old team leader, the one who got demoted and who has been there for 12 years. Oh well. I'm not taking sides, just staying out of it all.

The only thing that keeps me motivated in my day job is getting paid each fortnight. The more i work, the more i get paid, the more property i can buy, the earlier i can retire. Would love to be able to retire at 30-35!

The only thing that keeps me motivated in my day job is getting paid each fortnight. The more i work, the more i get paid, the more property i can buy, the earlier i can retire. Would love to be able to retire at 30-35!

You'll find that your capabilities are also compounding - the more you work, the more you get paid - yes, but chances are: the better you will be at your work (or at least being recognised for your work) which gets you even more pay.

One word of caution - don't get too carried away and burn out or have a crash.

Cheers,

The Y-man

One word of caution - don't get too carried away and burn out or have a crash.

Cheers,

The Y-man[/QUOTE]

Good advice Y-man! It's great to work extra hard for a while but you definitely need to make sure you take at least 2 short breaks from work/yr. Depending on your profession you can easily burn out, especially if it's mentally draining. You probably don't notice but when you come home and research IPs you are officially working (even if you love it). Remember to rest your brain too!

Working in a job can be intellectually and socially satisfying but the ultimate is if you can pick when you work! :D

Got a Gold Pen!

i achieved 5 years at the same company and got presented with my Gold Pen yesterday. Nice thought - woudl have preferred a cheque tho':D

i achieved 5 years at the same company and got presented with my Gold Pen yesterday. Nice thought - woudl have preferred a cheque tho':D

HA !

I got a 10 yr gift as well as a signed framed document from the CEO, gift was fomr my boss personally though

For 15 years I got..... the same as I got at the 5 yr mark

Last edited:
At 10 years I got a 10 year pin/badge in the post, even though I left my job for a couple years around the 3 year mark.

Then at 20 years I got another 10 year pin/badge in the post :rolleyes:.

Lucky I don't take these things too personally.

Compared with many I'm pretty lucky wth my job. I'm self-employed, travel all over the world, work from home in bare feet etc, but I've been doing the same thing for 15 years.

I seem to go through a crisis every 3 years and want to get out but I couldn't imagine working for anyone else and going into another business is even less interesting than my own so I guess that's why I'm looking at PI long term. It's the only other thing I find remotely interesting and would love to quit my real job one day to retire on it.

That sounds great Rae! What is your business? I don't think you would get the same satisfaction working in someone else's business after so many years in your own. At least working from home you can research IP without someone looking over your shoulder!

You'll find that your capabilities are also compounding - the more you work, the more you get paid - yes, but chances are: the better you will be at your work (or at least being recognised for your work) which gets you even more pay.

The Y-man

Good point. And take it further, the more you get paid, the harder it is to leave. I could leave a 50K a year job tomorrow. If you were earning 100K, you have a lot more to lose by leaving it. Now say your career is going gang busters, you get to travel the world over, meet interesting talented people, get to challenge yourself and others every hour of the day, add value and rake in 500K per year...How hard would it be to leave something like that?

The more I think of "retiring", for me it would be to ensure i enjoy the work I do as much as possible and path the career to allow me to work in places such as Manhatten, London, and maybe an Asian capital, before coming back home to feel the sand between my toes...

I love my day job! Although it could hardly be called a day job as its shift work! I wouldnt think of giving it up any time soon but I do see a day where I perhaps will want to be working less hours ...

Hopefully property investing will enable me to have a secure future and flexibility to work as less or much as i want.

Back