Still motivated in your day job?

That sounds great Rae! What is your business? I don't think you would get the same satisfaction working in someone else's business after so many years in your own. At least working from home you can research IP without someone looking over your shoulder!

True - though I tend to do it after hours as my job actually keeps me really busy. Flexible though, like I took a day off on Thursday to look at property but won't make a habit of it. If I slack off I don't earn as much! My business is in music management. It's tough though some years are great and others not so great as you are dependant on the creativity of others, which isn't something you can MAKE happen just because you want it to. Income is kinda high at the moment ($200K between hubby and I) so that's why the negative gearing plan suits us a little better. We won't always earn like that though, so the plan is to buy some more regional stuff to balance it out long term. We spent the last 8 years just throwing it away and wasting money on stupid stuff. It was fun, but we need to get serious now if we want to retire in 12 years!

Good point. And take it further, the more you get paid, the harder it is to leave. I could leave a 50K a year job tomorrow. If you were earning 100K, you have a lot more to lose by leaving it. Now say your career is going gang busters, you get to travel the world over, meet interesting talented people, get to challenge yourself and others every hour of the day, add value and rake in 500K per year...How hard would it be to leave something like that?

The more I think of "retiring", for me it would be to ensure i enjoy the work I do as much as possible and path the career to allow me to work in places such as Manhatten, London, and maybe an Asian capital, before coming back home to feel the sand between my toes...

Earning decent income is great but the quality of time (for me at least) is reduced. Travelling 2 months a year sounds like fun if you don't do it, but it gets tiring after a while and I miss home all the time. I don't GET holidays like most people - I can't afford to be away from work long enough. I want to take a campervan around Australia one day and travel to far-flung cities without having to worry about what's going on at home. I could EASILY give up the income and retire - provided my IP plan works out and gives me the income I need to live on.

Have friends who travel probably 75% of their time (ie management consultants) and are often interstate or overseas.

From the sounds of it they all hate their life and want to quit... obviously the low pay is an issue too for the amount of commitment. Most of them get paid sub $100k and often work at airport lounges / hotel rooms etc in between flights / meetings.

That said they'll hopefully look back in 3 years time and go "gee that was good experience" and leverage off that experience / contacts to move onto something that pays better.

Back to the original posters question: 'Still motivated in your day job?'

My answer is 'no', I haven't been motivated for quite some time now (been in the position for 8 years) but at the same time, this job has helped give me the ability to build up a good portfolio so I'm greatful for it.

It doesn't pay really well, but I don't feel I need to earn any more money.

It's not very stimulating, but then again it's not very hard either.

I don't have much money for myself, but thats because I invest it all.

Anyhow my boss is closing the doors in around 1 years time.
We're slowly closing down the business.
There was an offer made to me to take it over, but I don't feel I'm interested enough to do that, it's not what I plan to do with my life, I want to do what 'I' want, which means not having to work at all, if thats what I want to do at the time.

So anyway, I've been investing for the past 3 years quite heavily, and I plan to have a go at 'retiring' once the doors to this business close for good.

If I get bored, then I'll get another job. Or create my own.

I'd love to buy cheap rural property and do them up, renting them for for cash-flow, or on-selling depending on the deal, maybe even the odd renovation, who knows but thats the part I'm looking forward to.

I write this as I'm about to head off for another day at work.
It's 8am, and a beautiful sunny day outside. I love sunny days.

And it breaks my spirit a little knowing that in a little under an hour I'll be sitting inside for 8 hours, so no sun for me.

I'd love to be out in my garden, and swimming in my new pool, playing with my dog, but thats not going to happen today. Ol' Gyps will be sitting out on the porch all day, awaiting our arrival.

Thats my motivation for a very early retirement, I like to look on the bright side. I didn't always feel this way about having to trod off to work every day, it's only come around within the past couple of years, once I knew I had the ability to shape a way out of the work-force, forever, and just keeps getting stronger. To me, this is one of the greatest things one can achieve, true freedom.

:eek:

want2bewealthy, you took the words right out of my mouth :)

(except for the part about being so close to not needing the job:( )

Motivation for my day to day job is a little low at the moment and it doesn't help that I am a apprentice and those wages aren't very inspiring at all! Though, it's only through this job that I have been able to secure our first place - not a bad effort (other students at tafe can't understand how we can afford it - I tell them, we make our money work for us ;))

It's funny when I talk to the boss about my plumbing career and he lists how good it would be for me, to one day, run my own business. Fact is, I'm not really in the position where I want to run my own business. Personally, I would rather come home and forget about work - then think about my investments. Investing is my future, and is what WILL make us financially free one day. After seeing the amount of hours that my old man puts into one day for his business, I know that's not what I want to be doing.

I know that in a few years I will be earning a decent wage, enough to keep me home on weekends and investing as much as we can.

Though, it's only through this job that I have been able to secure our first place - not a bad effort (other students at tafe can't understand how we can afford it - I tell them, we make our money work for us ;))

So why would you not be happy to go to work?
You know you have to do it for the next few years, you know it's going to pay your way for many more.
So turn up happy, and take pride in your work.
You never know where the next opportunity is going to come from, and they rarely find there way towards percieved losers.
And in a job/industry like yours, me thinks there's many for those looking.

i delve into planning law and consultation a fair bit.

i am amazed that a private sector planner - senior - can pull in over $100k.

a senior gubment planner gets $63k.

where's the motivation?

i delve into planning law and consultation a fair bit.

i am amazed that a private sector planner - senior - can pull in over $100k.

a senior gubment planner gets $63k.

where's the motivation?

guaranteed job
fantastic pension
lots of other perks?

And Rob says no requirement to actually accomplish anything

Definatley yes...it's cliche but if you love what you do then you'll never work another day in your life!

I love about 75% of my job...in 12 months the plan is to have that figure up around 95% :)

Didn't mind the work, even if it was boring. Just don't like bossy, hypocritical, suck up people ! Leaving the job was the most liberating feeling.

Last edited:
Bored in my day job

It is good to read about other people's experiences - my partner and I have felt this way particularly over the past three months. Like many have posted, our incomes are good and the banks love the payslips; frustrating to make huge financial decision and make good$'s investing when at work one is given limited decision-making power; one is reticient to talk about IP's as tall poppy syndrome appears to quickly kick in with many which may inadvertently alienate you from colleagues as you are now 'different' and it can come across as threatening when you are ACTIONING outcomes for your financial future and others know they should do this but fear holds them back so they pull away from you and these "uncomfortable" conversations; one feels really alone in that space in the workplace. My partner and I purchased 6 IP's over the past 13 months in the midst of the GFC as we make a concerted decision to move out of the rat race and build a better future given our Super was desicrated during the GFC; we like the idea of taking control over our own finances and future as no broker/advisor for a super company has the same commitment to your future as you do...it has been tough going to work.

I even contemplated changing career direction (although I have invested 20 years in my profession and over 8 years formal study) to move to the arena of assisting others with PI however I read and observe all the shonky spruikers out there and unethical conduct hence am hesitant to align myself with that industry; so back to having to deal with my day job - basically I want to get off the bus I take every morning to work each day to the CBD sitting next to heaps of bureaucrats in their 50's and 60's who fear losing their jobs; don't invest except in Super or a few shares and find conversations about IP's very unsettling so I sit on the bus saying nothing too...I need to make a decision on what date to put on my calender for the last day on that intrepid bus.

For the past 3 years, I've worked for a government organisation. Prior to that I worked in a better paying job, better perks, challenging but more stress type role in the private sector. I remember always saying - I just want a job that I dont think about when I get home.

So I got it. Then about a year down the track, missed being 'challenged' in my job. LOL What's wrong with me??? But anyway, I stayed with the gov. role and concentrated on doing my job as well as enjoying the social aspect of work. This is what draws me to work. Catching up with the friends I made at work and having a laugh.

Now that Im about to return to work part time from having a baby, I'm more excited about the adult conversation. It's actually going to be my release.

So for me, as my circumstances changed, I became motivated in my day job.

Now that Im about to return to work part time from having a baby, I'm more excited about the adult conversation. It's actually going to be my release.
Oh, that was me when I went on maternity leave the first time. I got bored witless, I just didn't have any intellectual Stuff to do at home to keep me occupied.

These days I mostly work from home, although I'm currently taking a self-imposed break for a while for baby #3 due in a few weeks (and the hit to the hip pocket that comes with it) so I actually have adult things to do at home and grownups to talk to on the internet. Silly me actually started a new project a few weeks ago that there's no way I'm going to get finished pre-baby lol

Catch is we work with the wiggles playing in the background and a toddler who likes to climb on us and 'help' :)

Wow - really interesting thread!
It is interesting reading everyone elses posts, and I guess in many ways I am in the same/similar possition.

I was working in a good paying possition (+$100k/pa) and had a couple of properties. I was always considered the prodigal son - the "young gun" if you will. I climbed the ladder young, real young- Hell - I was going places man!!!!
After a bit though, I realised that I had chewed away 6 years of my life working, lucky for me I had invested pretty heavily so was doing ok.
Then the strangest thing happend - I realised I didnt 'need' the money any more and my attituded changed. The classic "frankly my dear - I dont give a damn".
You would think that it would adversly affect my carreer. But in fact the opposite happend. Because I couldnt care about my day job, I could challenge my superiors without fear or retribution. My default position was sitting on the beach or sitting in the office (lock in a thanks eddie). It actually helped my career - I could say what I thought - and I did - and (most) people liked it.
Anyway I ended up changing jobs to a new industry, and now work overseas. I get 20weeks a year leave, travel all over the world and earn more. And still, I hardly give a damn.

However my goal is still to have no full time job, just work casually when I feel like it - with most of my income coming from IP's & shares.

Bring on 35!

Blacky.

Majority of the people I know who have attempted time away from the workforce have always gone back to work due to boredom.

Just means they don't lead interesting enough lives in my opinion! I'll be 28 next month and (though im not yet in the financial position to quit) I could easily walk away from the work force and stay away.

I enjoy what I do, but getting out will never come soon enough.

Back