The Beach House

Round up comes in a container with it's own spray attachment, so no need for a huge back pack. I had a lovely day with the round up today...quite enjoyed myself. Sure beats pulling out weeds and vines the hard way.:D

I also went back to Status Plus and exchanged my SS sink order for a Granite one. Tis a beauty! They were really nice about it.

A lot of the time "Round Up, Zero" etc in the spray pack is diluted.

You can get the 1 litre version undiluted, mix it yourself in a $10 pressureized weed sprayer, not have to pull triggers continuously, and never have to buy weed killer again as 1 litre undiluted makes a massive 250 litres of spray pack brew.

Needless to say you can make a super brew up that'll kill anything fast.

http://www.yates.com.au/Products/WeedControl/GardensPathsDriveways/ZeroGlyphosate490Weedspray.asp

BB

BB, I've also avoided taking the pooch to The Beach House when I'm spraying. I wonder how safe this stuff is around animals? My thinking is that he'd get it on his paws and then lick them. So I've been playing it safe and leaving him at home.

Update 3/6/07

The houselifters finished last Tues (4 days late, but not complaining)...they did a brilliant job. So phoned the plumber to see if he could drain and knock-in the septic, and connect the sewerage. Went to the council to get the sewerage jump-up plans and they said it would cost $20 and take 48 hours. Bumped into the council house inspector (who originally approved my plans), who said for the first-time owner of the property the sewerage jump-up plans were free. (Nice one!) Plumber came Thurs and Fri and did the job, followed by the emailed jump-up plans from the council!:eek: But the council came out on Fri and approved the sewerage pipes anyway. (Go figure!) Plumber's bobcat made a nice mess of the back yard. See before and after pics below.

Builder comes on Monday to dig postholes for the deck. I'm happy with the progress to date.

Attachments

• Back garden - before.jpg
    Back garden - before.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Sewerage 2a.JPG
    Sewerage 2a.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Update 14/6/07

Another interesting few days. The houselifters and plumbers have finished and the builders have started. Yippppeeeee! The house is now 3.55 metres above the ground and the view from the ladder is awesome....so the plumbers tell me. I'll get some phots of what the view will be like from the upper deck, when I climb up the ladder tomorrow. No stairs yet.

I go there every day to see what progress has been made, and on the weekends I landscape...heavy stuff lifting those pavers and bags of pebble, but happy with the results. See pics below.

Attachments

• a Garage garden 1.JPG
    a Garage garden 1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 102
  • a Garage Garden 3.JPG
    a Garage Garden 3.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 96
  • a Plumbing 1.JPG
    a Plumbing 1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 111
Hi sailor

Just want to say how impressed I am with all that you've done in the three months since I last saw your beachhouse. I can't believe how high off the ground it looks - the views are going to be stunning. Pacific ocean views on three sides and mountain/park views from the rear. All that gorgeous tropical vegetation. To die for! You and Celeste must have the biggest arm muscles of any female forumites with all the hard labour that you each have put into your renos.

cheers

Sailor it all looks amazing...and what a process!!

I'm not sure why but I only just discovered this thread again today!! So good to see all the pics showing how the beach house was raised.

Hats off to you :)

Sailor, when you have time, could scarper up the ladder and take a pic of the new beachfront view? Curiosity is killing me on how different it looks. :)_

Sailor, when you have time, could scarper up the ladder and take a pic of the new beachfront view? Curiosity is killing me on how different it looks. :)_
OK, went up the ladder on Thurs and took a few shots...view is brilliant.

Attachments

• a NE.JPG
    a NE.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 96
  • a NNE.JPG
    a NNE.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 104
  • a Raised house side.JPG
    a Raised house side.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 110
More pics

As promised...more pics....

Attachments

• a SE.JPG
    a SE.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 140
  • aRaised house front.JPG
    aRaised house front.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 145
Nice view of the water. Not bad looking tradies either. Your neighbours will go into depression when its all done and back to sleepy town. :)

Nice view of the water. Not bad looking tradies either. Your neighbours will go into depression when its all done and back to sleepy town. :)
I've been very fortunate with the cute tradies...my neighbours have been checking them out in my absence too. I've promised the tradies and the neighbours one hell of a BBQ when tis all done....and everyone is pretty excited about it.

Hi Sailor

More guts than me at the mo, looks awesome tho a little cold. I wouldn't have any nails left from the worry.!!:eek:

Oh send some of those tradies over here I could do with something good to look at.

Hi Sailor

More guts than me at the mo, looks awesome tho a little cold. I wouldn't have any nails left from the worry.!!:eek:

Oh send some of those tradies over here I could do with something good to look at.
Hi Celeste...cute tradies held the ladder whilst I slowly climbed up. The view is spectacular. Twas overcast that day, but temp was still around 28 degrees C. The cute tradies are not only most pleasing to the eye, but are very handy for when one needs to unload pavers from the boot of one's car...most obliging.

sailor

It's looking GREAT!!! How much longer until it's finished and you can move in???

Cheers
LynnH
My deadline is 11th August....the builder says it will take longer. I'm just happy if I can see progress being made every day. Today the welder did cleat thingies, and the chippies put in studs and noggins for the 4 new walls. Happy with that!:D Especially as it rained all day and they couldn't weld the horizontal bits for the deck.

Update 24/6/07

I'm pretty happy about the progress this week. The tradies are so patient with answering all my dumb questions...just adding to my petite knowledge of construction. They welded all the horizontal beams to the poles that will hold up the deck, and started bolting on the timber (yes...I now know it's not wood:) ) that supports the timber decking. Windows are being ordered, and the timber comes for the stairs next week.

Tis amazing what I've been finding buried in the yard. Decided to dig around one of the lemon trees and loosen up the earth before putting on some mulch-stuff....found a 1 M square x 15cm thick piece of concrete there, about 2 cm below the surface. I have absolutely no idea what it was originally there for. So spent 3 hours yesterday with a sledge hammer and a crobar -- I could barely lift (compliments of the tradies...bless them), and finally got it all up. Gee this renovating stuff keeps a girl fit!:cool: I'm growing tiny biceps and have dimples in my upper arms!

(Just can't wait to have the champagne christening on the deck. Girl friend and I have decided to have a wee christening party one night when the deck is up...lots of champers and a camping-type sleepover, so we won't have to drive home.)

Latest pics are below...meanwhile I've been window shopping for floor tiles (turns out there is too much termite damage to the floor boards and too many will need to be replaced), but I found a lovely tile that will do the job nicely.

Attachments

• aDeck 2.JPG
    aDeck 2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 134
You are working so hard Sailor :)

Heavy renovating work wrecked my elbow joints years ago, because I carried weights I shouldn't have (one end of a lamp pole) and my elbows haven't been the same since. You have to look after yourself because it is possible to over exert yourself and do permanent damage.

But you are probably working more sensibly than I was :D

Back