The Beach House

Are we talking about the same corner ??

Don't get me wrong, it's still great, just don't understand how this would make a difference to site (side?) dispensation rules?

You would'nt have made it wider in anyway

Dave
Yep, that's the one. I already had to take 100mm off the width because of the length of the balcony and how close it was to the side boundary...which is a council park I might add. If the balcony was to be made any wider the council would not have approved the plans.

Hi Sailor,

It looks amazing, fantastic work!! Can I repeat again how jealous I am of those views!!! :D

You are building what Geoff and I want to retire into, you've done a great job! Keep it up!

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Sailor
Congratulations you are doing a great job.
Out of interest, did your neighbours agree to the raising of the house
or did they object through the council?
Cheers

I chatted with the neighbour prior to submitting plans to council. Got a letter from him saying that he had no objection. (Note: only have one neighbour...other 2 sides of property belong to the council and are parks.) I wrote the letter for the neighbour and he signed it.:D

I chatted with the neighbour prior to submitting plans to council. Got a letter from him saying that he had no objection. (Note: only have one neighbour...other 2 sides of property belong to the council and are parks.) I wrote the letter for the neighbour and he signed it.:D

Sailor,
Smart thinking :)
Cheers

G'day Sailor,

How's it going with your kitchen? Last I saw was this:-
Sailor said:
kingchevy said:
I have a good mate who runs a cabinet shop in smithfield if you need a very good kitchen hes done one in my house before.

You are a gem....can you give me a name and ph number please?

Regards,

After a fair amount of ginning around on my part and trying to get all the gizmos and concepts into the kitchen design I had in my head, I finally got P&P Kitchens to do the job. (They've done a kitchen, cupboards, bookshelves and wardrobes for me previously....nice work.)

Gyprockers have finished. Floor tiler should be finished this week. Stairs are in....yeah....no more climbing the ladders. Window frames are in. Time to get down there with the camera and get some more shots. Will post them soon.

Update 5/9/07

Some great changes are taking place at The Beach House. Gyprockers have finally finished making their mess, and the tiler has started. I'm particularly pleased with these terracotta tiles. They look like marble/slate stuff and have a soft feel to walk on. Maybe its because they're set over sheets, over floor boards, and that gives them some spring. But much nicer than over concrete.

In the end I decided to put the sheets over the floors and the kitchen over the sheets, before tiling. So that's why there's a pic of the kitchen with the kickboards already in place.

Oh and I have STAIRS! No more scrambling up and down those ladders!:D You'll note the bottom 2 steps are made of concrete. This is good Feng Shui, not to mention a protection from any sea water that might decide to venture into my yard.;)

I've included a pic of the back deck...nice view to the mountains behind Cairns from here, and nicely secluded from the prevailing winds if they get out of hand. Back doors yet to be painted, and that iron wall covering is yet to be replaced.

Update 5/9/07 pics

Couldn't get th pics to work:

Attachments

• aStairs 1.JPG
    aStairs 1.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 141
  • aKitchen.JPG
    aKitchen.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 126
  • aBack Deck.JPG
    aBack Deck.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 133
Update 5/9/07 more pics

Here's a pic of the laundry, already for the tiler to do his thing.
Next pic of the dining room through to the lounge, with the study at the front.
Third pic in the reverse direction.

Attachments

• aLaundry 1.JPG
    aLaundry 1.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 101
  • aNE.JPG
    aNE.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 123
  • aSW.JPG
    aSW.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 127
It's all looking great mate.

But you'll have to do something about those rails on the balcony, the cheap 4x2 radiata look just does'nt do it for me. :cool:

What are your plans there?

Dave

sailor

It's looking wonderful - you must be looking forward SOO much to moving in!!!
BTW, when is "moving in day"??

Cheers
LynnH

Sailor

Fantastic - you have moved ahead so much since I was there and that is only 9 days ago!! well done, it is looking great. Love the tiles

Chris

It's all looking great mate.

But you'll have to do something about those rails on the balcony, the cheap 4x2 radiata look just does'nt do it for me. :cool:

What are your plans there?

Dave
Oh BB! What! You don't like my artistic balustrading? Where's your taste man? In your mouth?:D
Seriously, they are just the temp ones the carpenter put up, so the tradies wouldn't fall over the side and hurt themselves...poor wee fragile mites! ;)
This is what I'm really having.....and the builder nearly gasped....

Attachments

• Chinese balustradea.jpg
    Chinese balustradea.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 111
G'day Sailor,

I finally got P&P Kitchens to do the job.
Umm, yeah, OK - but to me, that means as much as saying "Mad Barry's" ...

What I'm really trying to ask is, do you now have a prosthesis instead of your left leg (and perhaps left arm too)? The lot who were originally quoting seemed to want an arm and a leg before continuing..... :D :eek:

Regards,

Oh Sailor, it's looking beautiful!! I can't wait to see that kitchen!

Those tiles - what are they? Are they slippery (or is it just the glare?)? They look really nice! What colour will you be painting the walls? I reckon a whisper white type colour would look amazing with those tiles, but you might have something more creative....??

Can I mention again how jealous I am? You are creating our dream home!

Cheers,
Jen

G'day Sailor,

Umm, yeah, OK - but to me, that means as much as saying "Mad Barry's" ...

What I'm really trying to ask is, do you now have a prosthesis instead of your left leg (and perhaps left arm too)? The lot who were originally quoting seemed to want an arm and a leg before continuing..... :D :eek:

Regards,

Well I ended up going with the less expensive of two huge quotes. Decided if I was going to look at this kitchen for the next 20 years, I wanted to enjoy every day of it.

Oh Sailor, it's looking beautiful!! I can't wait to see that kitchen!

Those tiles - what are they? Are they slippery (or is it just the glare?)? They look really nice! What colour will you be painting the walls? I reckon a whisper white type colour would look amazing with those tiles, but you might have something more creative....??

Can I mention again how jealous I am? You are creating our dream home!

Cheers,
Jen
Tiles are terra cotta...not overly slippery...and there was glare on the phot. Walls will be white.

Hi Sailor

It's all looking very swish, and I guess your ever so excited!!!:D

I am about to post a couple of after photos on my thread, have a little look.

Great work Sailor!!! Go Girl power!!! Oh and how's hunky boy!!

Back