The Beach House

Just came back from Rocky and had a yarn to our cabinet maker who does our kitchen's.

These pics's are for the last IP's we did and he reckon's these would be about $5000 to $6000 installed if we were doing them again today.

BB

Attachments

• Rocky Houses 044 (Large).jpg
    Rocky Houses 044 (Large).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Rocky Houses 048 (Large).jpg
    Rocky Houses 048 (Large).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 77
These are pics of the New Kitchen taken yesterday.

The bench is almost 6metres long with a 60mm rolled edge using Crea for the benchtop's.

This one would be about $7500 to $8500 he reckoned.

Hope that help's

I just love the way they use the shiny black benchtop's as a work bench.

BB

Attachments

• 79 Wittenberg 021 (Large).jpg
    79 Wittenberg 021 (Large).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 79 Wittenberg 019 (Large).jpg
    79 Wittenberg 019 (Large).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 79 Wittenberg 009 (Large).jpg
    79 Wittenberg 009 (Large).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 79
For the prices listed above....do you have simple straight cupboards, or do you have deep drawers? Just wondering if this is what is costing me so much in my quote?

For the prices listed above....do you have simple straight cupboards, or do you have deep drawers? Just wondering if this is what is costing me so much in my quote?

We have deep draw's under the stove for pot's if that's what you mean???

Inside the cupboards are shelves, no draw's on runner's or other flashy stuff.

Additional deep draw's would have cost hundred's not thousand's, certainly not ten's of thousands.

Granite was going to add about an extra $4500 for that MASSIVE bench top.

BB

Love your kitchen, handyandy. Great idea having the cabinet adjacent to the fridge with access from the wide side. I'm having a kitchen built atm for a little 1br unit and am having a cupboard built in the same position but opening from the narrow side for broom storage etc. I'm about to phone the cabinet maker to see if it's too late to change that cupboard so that it works like yours with maybe one door opening to broom storage and the other to shelving. Wish I'd seen your pics a couple of weeks ago!

Cheers

Update 8/7/07

It's been a busy week for the tradies...Bless them! ...and I can now race up and down the ladder like a rat up a drain pipe! No stairs yet...I think the timber for the stairs was delivered, and the builder is sending it back...substandard. Good on him.:D

Sparkies have demolished the old switchboard and installed a new one, and pulled every wire out of the place. Then we met on site, so I could tell them where I wanted to put all the new lights, switches, fans and power points. They were a bit surprised I didn't want aircon...LOL...but so close to the beach, there are always sea breezes.

Chippies have been busy with decks, cutting holes in walls, and putting in new roof battons.....see pics.

Attachments

• a Lounge-dining.JPG
    a Lounge-dining.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 95
  • a side deck to beach 2.JPG
    a side deck to beach 2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
  • a back deck.JPG
    a back deck.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Update 8/7/07 ... more pics

More pics....

Attachments

• a lounge study 1.JPG
    a lounge study 1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 109
  • a front deck to N.JPG
    a front deck to N.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 103
Hi Sailor

Your Beach House renos are coming along very nicely - just LOVE the views from your deck!!! Hope all continues to happen as planned! :)

Cheers
LynnH

It's looking awesome Sailor! I bet you can't wait to take a seat on that deck, put your feet up and sip a nice glass of bubbly! :D

Thanjks Lynn, that house next door is soon to be demolished as tis on Council Property. So the view and the privacy is soon to get better.:D

Well done Sailor!

I have been following this thread with interest since the start, the place looks a million bucks already :D

Keep up the inspirational work.

Regards, Chris

Hi Sailor,

Hows the Beach house coming along? Any stairs yet, so you can climb up and crack that champagne on the balcony?:) I seem to recall you were hoping to be close to moving in soon....

Cheers, Nadia

Hi Sailor,

Hows the Beach house coming along? Any stairs yet, so you can climb up and crack that champagne on the balcony?:) I seem to recall you were hoping to be close to moving in soon....

Cheers, Nadia
Slowly at present. I've been a bit busy and not posted phots. Will do so tonight. No stairs yet...I've been painting them with oily stuff prior to them being put in place. Easier to do on the ground than up a ladder. :D
Have the champers at the ready!;)

Update 18/8/07

It's been a big couple of weeks:

Sparkies came to lay out the wiring through the roof, as the tradies removed the original roof. Unfortunately we had some light rain during this period.:(

But now the new roof is on with new gutters and barges (yes ... Sailor is learning about a different sort of barge...which unfortunately does not float)! (see pic)

And I've been painting (oiling) steps in preparation for the stair installation. Unfortunately after my first coat, some tradies walked all over my steps and left footprints for me to clean off before doing my next coat. Go figure!(see pic)

Just as well I was on site yesterday when the gyprockers started work, as they pulled through light and fan wires from the ceiling...in the wrong places...so that the line up was like a dog's hind leg. Then they pulled the fan wire for the balcony into the loungeroom ceiling. Good grief.... "sh@t for brains"!:mad: Fortunately the sparky was able to come over straight away and fix it all. These guys haven't yet worked out "tis a team effort" and they need to pay attention to detail. What would they do without me!:D

Fav reles have just bought a reno, and said I could have all their garden edging rocks. So have been collecting rocks and loading up the sports car (AKA tiny red truck) transporting them back to The Beach House for landscaping.

Time to go check on the tradies (mine work Sat mornings), and do another rock-run.

PS Forgot to tell about the dishwasher saga this week. Bought a lovely Bosch dishwasher during the May sales. Kitchen people wanted all the kitchen white goods to be able to have accurate measures etc, whilst they are building it in their workshop. The dishwasher delivered to kitchen people, wasn't able to accommodate the insertion of a decorator panel in the door. And this after I'd checked it 3 times with the retailer and once with the manufacturer to ensure that it would. Finally found out from the retailer, that manufacturer had modified the design and sent up the new model. Fortunately the retailer had the one I wanted sitting on the floor of the showroom. Tis mine now!

Attachments

• Roof up.JPG
    Roof up.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 137
  • painting steps.JPG
    painting steps.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Fortunately the retailer had the one I wanted sitting on the floor of the showroom. Tis mine now!

At a discount I hope, It was display stock after all, and an old model as well:)

Have to ask sailor, why did you not continue the balcony around the corner?

Dave

Hi Sailor,
Everything looks and sounds good.
I have a dumb question, but having raised houses is not something common to Nova Scotia.Do you ever worry about a car running into the post jacks and damage to your supports (house fall down)

Have to ask sailor, why did you not continue the balcony around the corner?
Dave
1. Better security for front balcony.
2. Would have had to make the side balcony narrower to conform to council site dispensation rules.
3. Something to do with the roof being too lower at the extreme outer edge.

Hi Sailor,
Everything looks and sounds good.
I have a dumb question, but having raised houses is not something common to Nova Scotia.Do you ever worry about a car running into the post jacks and damage to your supports (house fall down)
Good grief! .... and damage my car? Gosh...hope not.
Should withstand a car...tis rated to cope with a CAT 5 Cyclone.:D

1. Better security for front balcony.
2. Would have had to make the side balcony narrower to conform to council site dispensation rules.
3. Something to do with the roof being too lower at the extreme outer edge.

Are we talking about the same corner ??

Don't get me wrong, it's still great, just don't understand how this would make a difference to site (side?) dispensation rules?

You would'nt have made it wider in anyway

Dave

Attachments

• Roof%20up (Large) (Medium).JPG
    Roof%20up (Large) (Medium).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 93
Back