Viewing Real estate on Google Maps and Google Earth

It looks like Realestate.com.au and Domain.com.au have added Google Maps to their web sites. This is due to Google Maps adding Australian Address to the site. Check it out for yourself at http://maps.google.com/.

It's interesting to see this happening. Google Maps is a fantastic resource. When doing online searching I couple it together with ZoomIn and the major RE sites.

It just goes to show how irrelevant Telstra's Sensis sites are now, (useless tossers).

A great site their, Phezz. Looks like a lot of work has gone into it — good stuff! :)

Again I would like to thank everybody for their feedback.

Just a little update, the page now can display results without the need for google earth. Also added another Real estate site to find even more properties.

http://www.suburbview.com

Thanks Phezz- that Beta is very useful as you can see the streets at a glance easily, unlike Google Earth.

Question for you- I notice some properties (despite them having a definite address listing on domain or realestate.com) don't appear at all. What's going on here? I've picked up a few now, and was just wondering about a lag time?

I use Google Maps to find the address. Problem is sometimes the information returned isn't exact. It gives me the street level, but not the actual property. I was finding if I included this, it gave me weird results like streets in another state.

I only use addresses that return an exact match. PM me the Real Estate ID and I will see if I can make anything of it.

This should be my last Major update to the site, and this one I think most of you people here will like.

http://www.suburbview.com now lists property that is for Rent.

You can now view all this on the Map, or download it to Google earth.

What this means, is you can now have a visual comparison of what a Suburb is Selling for, and also Renting for well.

Guess its time to increase the Rent to match what the neighbours are charging :)

Attachments

• brisbane.jpg
    brisbane.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 112
G'day Phezz,

Love the site - but HOW do I get to see the same for Redland Shire?

I tried, but couldn't make it work. Yes, I saw the Map of Redlands, but I couldn't see the "rentals available" in that area. Worked for Brisbane, but not Redlands.

Regards,

G'day Phezz,

Looks great for Redland Bay - but I'm interested in Redland Shire (includes Wellington Point, Cleveland, Alexandra Hills, Victoria point, Redland Bay, etc.)

In short, I clicked on Brisbane, but the Redland suburbs are not included. Probably the same would apply for Logan. I liked what I saw for "Redland Bay" but can you do the same for all of Redland Shire? (I'm sure you can ;))

Regards,

Problem was I starting working on my site before realestate & domain started listing the stuff on their web sites.

But you will find my site now searches from 4 Real estate web sites, so you get more property results per suburb.

My site still is the first to show the listings in Google Earth.

My site also shows the number of rooms, and price (need to click on display price when there are more than 50 properties found) So you have a better overview of whats on offer.

You can now use my site as a visual tool without the need to click on multiple properties just to find out how much etc...

But you will find my site now searches from 4 Real estate web sites, so you get more property results per suburb.

I went and tried the realestate.com.au version and I think SuburbView.com is much better.. keep up the good work, I can REALLY see a slot for you in the market as an aggregator of Real Estate Sites..

my only complaint, is that it opens the re.com.au site within google earth.
I'd much prefer to see it within it's own ie window, but i imagine its part of a googleearth hook, and not as simple.

not a complaint but a headsup - pascoe vale overlay doesn't work.
returns error "open of file bla bla failed: parse error: N at line 1983 column 25"

my only complaint, is that it opens the re.com.au site within google earth.
I'd much prefer to see it within it's own ie window, but i imagine its part of a googleearth hook, and not as simple.

Thats an easy fix.
In Google earth :
Tools
* Options
* General
Tick the box : Show web results in external browser

As for the error, I fixed it, thanks for letting me know.

Hiya phezz,

I'm curious as to how you retrieve the data from the sites your site supports. Is it an automated process, or is it manual?

Did RE.com.au, Domain.com.au, etc. provide you with APIs for you to hook into? I realise this is your intellectual property, but I'm simply curious — be as vague as you wish. ;)

Thanks. :)

Hiya phezz,

I'm curious as to how you retrieve the data from the sites your site supports. Is it an automated process, or is it manual?

Did RE.com.au, Domain.com.au, etc. provide you with APIs for you to hook into? I realise this is your intellectual property, but I'm simply curious — be as vague as you wish. ;)

Thanks. :)

I figured I needed to set this site up as a search engine. So I wrote my own web crawler. A couple times a day it looks at the sites for information, then checks with Google Maps API to confirm the address.

The manual way I was adding about 10 sites a night, now thats its all automated I think its doing over 100 suburbs a day.

Hi Phezz,

Brilliant idea and very well executed.

You say this is the end of the development. The last seriously big dimension is to throw recent sales data into google earth. I understand Canberra provide such data for free. I don't know about other areas in Australia.

Finally, I searched for rentals in Mango Hill, Qld, and it doesn't appear the addresses have been plotted accurately within google earth. One result (128 Copeland Drive (a long street) is plotted down around No. 8 Copeland Drive.

If I type 128 Copeland Drive directly into google earth, it is plotted correctly. Could this be a problem with your api not passing on addresses correctly to the google earth .kml file?

Last edited:
Back