Where in Queensland are you looking to buy?

I would like to know from members which suburbs they are looking at buying?
Please include suburbs if you have brought in the past 3 months. It would be great to see other members opinions.

I'm still in the research, watch and wait phase, but I am watching suburbs within a 10km radius of Brisbane at present.
I am always hopeful, the demand will drop and a lovely underpriced one will pop up just for me, and ideally close to positive cashflow.
If it was closer to the next boom, I wouldn't be so fussy, and I would just buy anything thats cashflow positive anywhere in Qld. That way I could buy a lot of them quickly before their values doubled. :)

Barracuda said:
I've bought in Bulimba and Wakerley in the last 2 months.

Cheers,

Bulimba is a great place, it has changed in many ways over the years.

What did you end up buying and what was the sale price if you dont mind me asking?

Are you talking about Waterline shown in the pic?
103220018ml1148944896.jpg
?
102651651ml1126075374.jpg
I think I know the place.

What would a house in that area would rent out per week?

Yep - The one on the far left in the top picture is the one we bought (check out my gallery photos). Depending upon the configuration, your PM and the market you're looking at you could be looking somewhere in the mid-high 600's, even as high as early 700's. Having said that, if the vacancy rates climb or you don't get the tenant you're after, it could rent for much less or remain vacant for a while leaving you to carry the costs. We settle next month, so I can't tell you what we have it rented for yet.

We also looked at the one on the right hand side of that picture. Of the 2, we decided on the one we selected due to uninterrupted natural light into the living areas and bedrooms as opposed to direct light being blocked by a wall and the 4 bedroom configuration. I believe the next ones released are closer to the river and more expensive again - in the mid 800K's and above.

This investment suited us and our situation - please make sure whatever you choose suits your situation and needs.

Cheers,

NICE !!!, I wont to be able to afford it in my situation but I can start dreaming for it to be my PPOR for the near future. Mirvac have great house designs, always love there work.

What was the asking price Mirvac wanted? And will this be your PPOR or IP?

Nambour

Soon you will be able to do business, shop or reside at the new development that will be created on the old sugar mill sight.

Then again you may want to catch the train,buss or taxi at the new transport hub.

Gerd

I might be naive, but I don't think that they negotiate.

I did get other things that I wanted though like extended settlement, access to property etc so that I can get blinds custom built and installed prior to settlement, tenants looking through etc - so hopefully we'll go straight from settlement to tenanted with very little / no vacancy. That's worth a bit to us.

This is our first IP. Although we've already signed the 2nd.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info,
Its funny how I seen some members IP that is good enough to be my Dream home.

Anyways very nice property Barracuda. Show us a pic of your second IP in the near future.

gerd. said:
Nambour

Soon you will be able to do business, shop or reside at the new development that will be created on the old sugar mill sight.

Then again you may want to catch the train,buss or taxi at the new transport hub.

Gerd

Is there a website/info for this new development?

FNQ - Commercial - Office in Westcourt - settled on the 5th July

Queensland does extend further than suburbs of Brisbane :D

Chris

gerd. said:
Nambour

Gerd

Gerd,

Ugly Sugar Mill gone a bonus, but new development not done deal yet.
Have nothing against Nambour or Psych Hospitals, except a lot of units/flats in the town, housing out-patients puts me off. Has a funny feel about it.

Maybe a bargain would alter my feelings.:D

You've always been able to catch train,bus or taxi at the existing transport hub.

rexilla99 said:
Thanks for the info,
Its funny how I seen some members IP that is good enough to be my Dream home.

In many situations it's easier to buy a nicer IP than PPOR. Consider the rent coming in, depreciation, deductability of interest etc. You can always transfer IP -> PPOR in the future.

Cairns

We keep buying in Cairns, one of the few places you can achieve both terrific capital gains and also good returns.

We have about 10 rentals there now. Good solid infrastructure with enough diversity to keep the place humming along steadily, unlike one commodity mining towns.

We like duplexes as you always still have one side tenanted if the other moves out, but saying that, there is usually a waiting list for rentals anyway.

Occasionally we spend some money and put up new fences, new floor coverings, kitchens etc, but generally keep the spends to a minimum and just bank the money !!

Sold one recently to free up some $'s and in holding it for just 18 months it sold for over $100k above purchase price.

Not too shabby a place for the odd holiday, er buying/checking on rentals, trip either.

Gemini

Gemini said:
We keep buying in Cairns, one of the few places you can achieve both terrific capital gains and also good returns.

We have about 10 rentals there now. Good solid infrastructure with enough diversity to keep the place humming along steadily, unlike one commodity mining towns.

We like duplexes as you always still have one side tenanted if the other moves out, but saying that, there is usually a waiting list for rentals anyway.

Occasionally we spend some money and put up new fences, new floor coverings, kitchens etc, but generally keep the spends to a minimum and just bank the money !!

Sold one recently to free up some $'s and in holding it for just 18 months it sold for over $100k above purchase price.

Not too shabby a place for the odd holiday, er buying/checking on rentals, trip either.

Gemini

Gemini, do you have any price info of how much you brought it for and what year? and what the houses are worth now?

Just to get rough idea of the growth.

Back