10 Days in 100 years

That's very sad news. Unfortunately, today seems one of those awful days that will go down in history, as did Ash Wednesday, 911 etc.

Bill, I wish you and all your colleagues the best in your efforts and may you all safely return to your families.

I reckon we ought to ban the traditional Australian of the year awarding to celebs and minority group members and just permanently award it to all CFA volunteers every year, from now on.

You are truly outstanding people. Thank you.

Thinking of everyone effected by the fires. It certainly puts things in perspective. Those putting their lives at risk, often leaving their own homes exposed to the fires, are such amazing people. Is there any way we can provide assistance financial or otherwise?

Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind words, but I don't deserve them today. We haven't gone anywhere, been pretty much on 'standby' all day.

On the map of where the fires have occurred from DSE here....

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/fires/updates/report/index2.htm?time=Sat Feb 7 17:24:24 UTC+1100 2009

we are south of Colac in western Vic. The only fire near us was the Weerite fire. If the cool change had taken another couple of hours to get here, it would have been our turn. Instead the SW change blew the fire towards lake Corangamite.

In this area, we are heavily forested and easily cut off, so they usually leave all our tankers here just in case, especially on days like today.

I have been following the fires and been on the phone to people in other areas (relatives who were evacuated) all day, as well as making sure everything was OK and working around here.

We were lucky.

My heart goes out to all those affected, and with the change of wind direction hope the losses are contained. My feeling is that the we will wake up tomorrow to some extremely bad news from some of the fires that have had the flanks turn into many kilometer long infernos.

bye

Just got a sms from an employee.
"My friend lost everything. Only thing standing is the gate."
Apparently a single mother with 3 small kids. Life can be tough, but at least they are alive.

I've woken to the sad news that 25 are confirmed dead, and fears that the toll will top 40. :(

More than 50 homes lost in Bendigo.

chrispy, it certainly sounds like you're near one of the worst-hit areas; are you able to provide us with some on-the-spot reportage?

Thanks, bill, to you and your colleagues for the incredible service that you render.

I had a sleepness night for a variety of fire-related reasons.

We live in the Dandenong Ranges, where a hot windy day is always cause for concern. The sky was black with smoke yesterday, with fires in nearby Ferntree Gully and out Pakenham/Narre Warren way.

I was most worried for the family I have in Wallan and Bendigo.

My sister in Wallan was surrounded on 3 sides by fire. It was very scary for her as she also has many friends in Broadford in which direction the fire was headed. They were worried about needing to evacuate Wallan and the wind changing again and stopping their one way out. Smoke and flames everywhere.

Interesting, that when the cool change came through (early evening) I relaxed a little, but that seems to be when a lot of the loss of life occured. The wind change was swift and caused the terrible chaos in Kinglake and Marysville - both beautiful beautiful spots and awful to think they have been wiped out. The fires were ferocious in their speed and intensity. My sister told my about a family who were leaving, thinking they had plenty of time, the man went back into their house to gather more belongings and within seconds the house was engulfed by the fire (with him in it -so awful). I fear what the deathtoll will be out of Kinglake with many such other people caught by surprise at the speed of the fire and unable to escape.

A sad day indeed.

:(

I was away from news sources yesterday. Got a shock sms this morning that a staff member wouldn't be in as though they're alive they're still involved in fires near Kinglake. With the rain we had yesterday morning in Frankston I assumed (wished?) the fires would be over. I feel surprisingly emotional this morning after listening to the ABC & hearing the extent of what's happened. It's just unbelievable. I didn't realise on Saturday morning that what I said about the unpredictability of fire would be so prophetic; all the people who got caught out deciding to leave in their cars. :( I pray that everyone's families are OK. I don't know what to say. I was so tough about the whole Ash Wednesday thing at the time; I didn't think it really affected me emotionally. Perhaps I never realised until hearing the grief of other people who have lost everything. I guess the thing to do is try & find out how I can help now, as we received so much support from people in 1983.

all the people who got caught out deciding to leave in their cars. .

That surprised me too. I thought driving along in a car would make you fairly safe. Looks like some may have been involved in a crash. Perhaps visibility was almost zero, and people would obviously be in a hurry. All very sad.

See ya's.

Hi all,

I've been in the local fire brigade for 20 years,

Me too Bill.

Last week I got rung up at 11 pm by a brigade member who could see flames up on a hill. I told him to go and investigate while I got dressed [I was in PJ's] and got the fire truck out of the shed. I waited for his return call to tell me the details.

Turns out it was some city folk with a bon fire. They'ed recently purchased a 50 hectare lifestyle block. Their land, while lightly tree'd, was heavily grassed and it was fully cured. Would have exploded if it caught.

While things aren't anywhere as volatile in northern NSW, as where you are, it was still very silly. They were told to put the fire out immediately, and as they were just silly, rather than badly intentioned the matter was left at that. I didn't report it or anything.

See ya's.

That surprised me too. I thought driving along in a car would make you fairly safe. Looks like some may have been involved in a crash. Perhaps visibility was almost zero, and people would obviously be in a hurry. All very sad.

See ya's.

Sound slike some left the run too late as the speed of the fire took them by surprise. So their fire action plan was to leave but there was insufficient time to leave. Poor visability, roads blocked with fallen trees, and tires melting would make the journey very very unsafe.

We have friends who made it out but lost everything and other friends with no known news in the Kinglake area.

GoAnna, i have heard on another forum that Kinglake has no land or mobile telephone coverage. Only Telstra phones are working and a lot of the metropolitan emergency services radio are not working.

ETA: Sorry partly incorrect info given.

GoAnna, i have heard on another forum that Kinglake has no land or mobile telephone coverage. I hope that they are ok.

Me too.

The first family are somewhat fortunate in that they have an ip they are currently renovating so they were able to move in there.

Sheer ferocity and force, these fires have gained so much momentum, quite a few of the areas have provided great fuel, (tinder dry fuel), accompanied by those hot, dry, very strong winds...remember this was EXTRAORDINARY weather conditions, it was stuff that seasoned, experienced firefighters had never seen.

Radiant heat in these situations is the big killer, some of the fire just gained so much force, so much speed, it was like fireballs.

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/documents/radiantheat_brochure.pdf

Sadly, some of the people shown on tv were running around in shorts, bare skin, bare feet exposed, they need to be educated you must cover up, (see CFA link)...fire plans need to be drawn up, fire is unpredictable, some got caught with the sheer ferocity and speed, and also the change that hit, the different weather conditions, wind altered direction, they were caught in this, cars and drivers do become disorentiated in smoke, radiant heat, (remember it was extraordinary conditions) just took everything in it's path, incinerating everything in it's path), leaping valleys, fuelled by wind and fuel...there is no guarantee anyone would be safe huddled in their car, such the ferocity of the heat.

Fire crews and units got caught, experienced firefighters...kept remarking how ferocious the fire had become, the weather conditions...there were so many variants, warnings had been issued for days and days, people tried to get the message out of the exceptionally horrid conditions, but it still took people by surprise. (see Bill's original texting from CFA).

If you listen to the firefighters, the people involved, you hear the sheer enormity of what they were up against.

Back