$100k to invest in non property

Exactly Sunfish, as unlike property you can't
  • live in gold
  • rent out gold
  • add value to gold
  • subdivide gold and build something else in the backyard
  • change the usage of gold
  • buy under market value

I guess you must expect a lot of "rusted on"s on a property forum. Please put me on ignore because I'm not. Nor, does it seem, is the OP to whom I was replying.

Why not Super? How old are you?

Why not offset account against loan? Assuming you have loan. At saving say 7% you are actually making 10% after tax savings. 100% secure and 100% Control. One day to change your mind.

Peter 14.7

I'd suggest looking at:
  • Build a High Yield Portfolio (HYP). (Google it.) It's a portfolio of ten to twenty shares split across sectors that pay a decent dividend.
  • Buy a unit trust, index tracker or even ETF that hugs an appropriate stock market index, such as the ASX or FTSE. Take any dividends as cash, rather than reinvesting it.
  • Government bonds. I believe that there's a reasonable return on Australian Federal Bonds. But you can get another percent or so on Western Australia's or South Australia's State Bonds. (Can't remember which.) These are ultimately backed by the Federal Government, so not significantly more risky.
The first would require that you overcome your aversion to the stock market. It would probably suit your goals, as it was originally developed as an alternative to buying an annuity.

The second is a low maintenance approach. You should get capital growth as well as dividends. Again, it involves shares, but spread over the members of the ASX it should be fairly risk free.

For the record, I like trackers. They've got very low fees, and generally outperform 80% of managed investment funds. :)

I think that investigating state bonds could be worthwhile. They're relatively low risk, and should generate income.

Could I just ask, what's the problem with shares? Is it general risk aversion, or are you fully invested in that sector already?

I disagree that insurance bonds are tax free after 10 years. They are still internally taxed at 30% tax rate. I prefer to call them tax paid.

SYD

again thanks for all the responses.

I guess i should be more specific with my situation and objectives.

I am youngish, so not interested in super, i am already heavily exposed to both property and shares so wish to diversify.

I am interested in some alternative highish growth investments - time frame 1-10 years depending on level of comfort with the investment.

So far i am liking the sound of seed capital and new venture investments, i would really appreciate any further comments, opinion, ideas on these sorts of vechiles.

thanks

Sorry Luke but 100k is just not enough for any form of seed/venture capital.

Stick to your own personal investments like others have mentioned here. Once you have $2-3m spare cash then we can talk about investing in those kind of things.

I'd steer clear of anyone that offers you 8-9% on a "term deposit".

If they are paying you 8-9%, what are they charging the guys borrowing the cash?

I've had a few clients invest in these type of funds and during the GFC some went under and some froze redemptions.

Just not worth it.

Sorry Luke but 100k is just not enough for any form of seed/venture capital.

Stick to your own personal investments like others have mentioned here. Once you have $2-3m spare cash then we can talk about investing in those kind of things.

:confused: Seed Capital is very common with online startups and can be as little as $10k. You can also be part of a crowd fund which is pretty much self explanatory.

:confused: Seed Capital is very common with online startups and can be as little as $10k. You can also be part of a crowd fund which is pretty much self explanatory.

Yeah but how cool can you sound telling people they need millions instead ?!?!

Attachments

• Cool.jpg
    Cool.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 62
No jaycee - just being realistic. $10k is not worth the hassle for any proper fund investor - everyone knows that.

i certainly know it. if i needed 10k for a start up i could borrow of family, use credit card, lot's of ways to get your hands on 10k. 100k a little more difficult, but if you have security then relatively easy. 1m + a little more difficult and this is where i would turn to a venture capitalist.

No jaycee - just being realistic. $10k is not worth the hassle for any proper fund investor - everyone knows that.

i dunno - i could give someone a 25% return over 25 months for $100k easy - there's a good amount of property here which that would cover the deposit + planning fees etc to generate enough equity to onsell at a higher price.

Back