12 Seater Car/Bus/Van

Anyone got any ideas on 12 seater options? The biggest thing I can drive still on a NSW "C" licence is a 12 seater. The Toyota Coaster even Commuters a lot of them are 14 seats which is annoying. I've seen some HiAce 12 Seaters. The only other real option I've found is a Ford Transit Bus.

I'm looking at most seats for cheapest price! Some enterprising people around town have started charging my guests to get them to and from work each week and I've worked out they are paying around $400 a week to various folk for a 10km each way lift to work. There are two shifts so it would be three half hour stints a day I think, five days a week. 8am drop off. 3pm drop off and pick up same time and then 11pm pick up.

I've got enough backpackers around the place looking for any work I'd trade a bit of free rent for the van runs. Trying to work out if it is worth it. My last backpacker van was crashed by guests but the van had cost $2K, lasted 2 years and made about $350 a week in rental plus all the money in furniture delivery etc it saved me. They paid the damage, I sold it to wreckers and didn't claim on any insurance so it was okay. Now trying to work out if I should buy something again!

Last edited:
I have been told that if you remove the 13-14th seats and revert back to 12 seats you can still drive on a car license. You may need to register as 12 seats, better check.

You then use the extra space for luggage and wheel chairs etc.

I know someone who has done this and it seems it is legal

I thought that too but then was reading a Whirlpool thread that said you couldn't and people were arguing about it! And Google isn't much help. I could just buy something smaller with 8-9 seats like a people mover and avoid the whole debate but the extra couple of seats would make it more worthwhile. But getting a LR licence is no good as then it restricts others around the house from driving it if need be.

Off the top of my head (sorry I don't know exact seats) there is:

Hyundai iMax (often converted to 10-12 seats)
Ford Transit
Toyota Hiace
Volkswagon Caravelle
Mazda E2000 LWD
Ford Econovan (same as Mazda E2000)

I believe the scenario to remove seats is have them removed, get engineers certificate that it is now a 12 seater then drive :)

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi6.pdf

Change in seating capacity resulting in re-classification of the vehicle category.
Examples requiring certification:
? Altering the seating capacity of a bus from 14 seats to 12 seats.
? Conversion of a panel van into a small bus or a ?people mover?.

I thought that too but then was reading a Whirlpool thread that said you couldn't and people were arguing about it! And Google isn't much help. I could just buy something smaller with 8-9 seats like a people mover and avoid the whole debate but the extra couple of seats would make it more worthwhile. But getting a LR licence is no good as then it restricts others around the house from driving it if need be.

google? Whirlpool? not the RTA?

Well Whirlpool and Google both did link me through to some PDFs on conversions and seats etc I read all the way through from RTA but didn't see the bit westminster found so yes, interwebs fail for me today. Or possibly reading comprehension fail :p

Well Whirlpool and Google both did link me through to some PDFs on conversions and seats etc I read all the way through from RTA but didn't see the bit westminster found so yes, interwebs fail for me today. Or possibly reading comprehension fail :p

You had Interweb fatigue - common problem :)

Anyone got any ideas on 12 seater options? Now trying to work out if I should buy something again!

Should be plenty of 12 seater models around to buy.

Don't go near the 7 seater market - the Tarago prices have gone through the roof given the unprecedented demand placed on those smaller vans by both the Qld and Tasmanian Labor Parties.

Back