$1800 worth of repairs

This is a clause a new pm wants us to sign.
"the tenant is permitted to arrange for urgent repairs (for which the client is responsible) The client authorises the Agent without reference to the Client to arrange for such urgent repairs at the client's expense up to a cost of $1800 inc of gst" I thought this clause could only be activated if the agent cant get in contact with the owner to authorise urgent repairs. Can anyone clarify?

Couldn't you change the figure to something you are happy with. If you are not contactable, the tenant (or I guess the agent) can have an urgent job done and you will have to pay anyway (as I understand it).

There is an urgent repair limit of $1800 in Victoria.

If a repair is urgent and you are not getting a prompt response from your landlord or agent, you can authorise the repair for up to $1800.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/hous...dards-repairs-and-entry-rights/urgent-repairs

my PM has been instructed by me to put ALL repairs through me first, if I'm out of contact for whatever reason I have a family member as secondary contact. If neither of us can be reached, then the tenant can spend up to $1800 for an urgent repair.

As simtr pointed out, the urgent repairs limit is $1,800 for either the agency or tenant.

You shouldn't need to sign a clause for it, for what it's worth, I have never had a tenant use that section of the act. Mainly because if I can't get a hold of the landlord/next of kin/preferred tradesperson I will authorise a tradesperson myself.

You will find that "urgent repairs" are specified in the tenancy laws, and usually include electrical and plumbing issues affecting health and/or safety. For example, no tenant can be expected to live in a property with a non-functioning toilet just because you are away and your PM can't get in touch with you.

I would also add a clause limiting the PM's "non-approval spend" for non-urgent repairs, usually $100 to $200.
Marg

Just for everyone's reference, in Victoria urgent repairs are -

burst water service
blocked or broken toilet system
serious roof leak
gas leak
dangerous electrical fault
flooding or serious flood damage
serious storm or fire damage
failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by a landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating, or laundering
failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
an appliance, fitting or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted
a serious fault in a lift or staircase.

From Consumer Affairs website.

Yes, after I posted I had a brilliant thought and looked it up myself. She has ticked me off over a few things (i.e. insisting I sign a contract to have a professional smoke alarm company inspect alarms) I was very tempted to self manage, particularly as the tenants are already in place and are very nice and pay on time. I actually do that on one of my other properties and have never had any problems. In the end though I have signed the contract, whilst adding "if owner cant be contacted"

or you can sign up to RACV Home Assist, which is what I do. It costs me around $170 a year and almost mirrors what Tenancy Act says are emergency repairs.

I give my tenants the RACV hotline fridge magnet, they can then call up if they have an emergency and RACV will come out I also give my PM's the details so they can refer the tenants to it before hassling me.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...ices/emergency+home+assist/what-does-it-cover

it's worked well so far, have had to use it for 2 issues at the one property. Water Leak and a Gas leak, in both cases RACV sent trades, who fixed the water leak (welded pipe) on the spot, no fee. The gas leak they had to make it safe, then it cost me $350 for a plumber to come fix next day and a long section of pipe had to be replaced.

Back