1st Time Investor

I'm from the Sutherland Shire. A nice area of Sydney, close to the coast, about a 15 minute drive to the beach. I've grown up in this area and so have the kids. The house we used to live in is worth $800,000 and my ex has bought me out of my share and taken on the rest of the mortgage. The kids live with him 50% of the time.
Mount Druitt is really not a nice place to live......sorry if anyone on this forum is from there. Lots of crime and a very bad reputation. A lot of those western suburbs might be ok but they are not for us.

Ok Tannign,

I understand the attitude towards the rest of Sydney you describe, having grown up a "Shire boy" myself. I left, and now I think a little differently, but many friends and family are still there and have a strong sense of place. I get that.

So if you want to consider moving at all (and it doesnt sound like you do) and can't tolerate western Syd (and want to be close to beach) then you could think about either central coast in the north or Illawarra and South Coast to the south.

Price range is highly variable, and you can find something to suit your budget. If you look.

If you don't want to move and are actually happy renting in the shire long term (which will probably mean working on the income front at some stage or that rent will overtake you) then you can really consider anywhere the numbers stack up. Many investors are catching the Sydney ripple up or down the coast, others are looking interstate in markets such as Brisbane etc. You just need to develop a clear set of goals and understand what you want to buy and more importantly why. Finding properties is easy for those that know how, or are in the market, the first question is what you actually want. Once you know that work backwards from there.

I'm from the Sutherland Shire. A nice area of Sydney, close to the coast, about a 15 minute drive to the beach. I've grown up in this area and so have the kids. The house we used to live in is worth $800,000 and my ex has bought me out of my share and taken on the rest of the mortgage. The kids live with him 50% of the time.
Mount Druitt is really not a nice place to live......sorry if anyone on this forum is from there. Lots of crime and a very bad reputation. A lot of those western suburbs might be ok but they are not for us.

Spoken like a person who has never been to Mount Druitt. I was just suggesting places where you could afford to buy an investment property and start making good rental income straight away. You couldn't afford to buy a place to live in Mount Druitt anyway unless you all crammed into a unit. If you want your kids to live below the poverty line so that you can keep up appearances that's your business.

Ok then. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. You've all been very kind and helpful.
If I sounded ungrateful, or snobbish gcb160 then I am sorry but I think your response was uncalled for. I'm trying to do the best I can for my kids and myself...... the divorce has turned their lives upside down but we don't live "below the poverty line" and especially wouldn't do so just to "keep up appearances"
I'll keep on researching, asking questions etc. I hope you all have a very merry christmas.

I was a low income earner, very low
Ladylove was a low income earner
50 retired living on rent income from 40 properties
the first few years were difficult
but we retired after 6
now it isnt hard at all, well ladylove does all the hard stuff
to spend 8 months of the year on holiday doing only what I like

the worst house in the best neighbourhood you can afford
as long as it has good bones
cosmetic renovations to make it an attractive house in a good neighbourhood
huge ROI

There are plenty who will say you can't (It means they can't)
There are plenty who will say you can (It means they can too)
both are right, be the second kind

I did buy a nice house in a bad neighourhood in my thirties,
we had a burglar, broke in, then he called the cops to come and save him from the 4 big Maori neighbours in the front yard, and the four big Maori neighbours in the back yard
scared him straight?

It is easy to clean up teenage gangs, sit on the porch, field strip a gpmg m60 .
Everybody recognises it from movies, clears the gangs away, never to return

Back