2012 Corolla

Just wondering if anyone has bought a 2012 corolla? Have had a 1994 model seca which has been a great car but it is time to give it to the kid. :D

Saw a 2nd hand 2012 corolla sport 7 spd cvt auto with only 4000km for around 20k. They are 26k new.

Hi, I have just now got off a plane from a holiday trip to cairns/Townsville and Europcar gave us a brand spanking new corolla ascent (24kms on the clock)

To be perfectly honest, not a fan :(. I have had older corollas in myyouth and loved them. But this new one seemed small and "plasticky". The seats were overly moulded so hubby ended up sitting "on" the seat rather than "in " it. He is not that big, weighs in at around 95kg and is 6'2". I found the headrest was at an odd angle and my head hit the rest before my shoulder sat in the seat.
Hubby found the sitting position was quite high (even after he put the seat down) and he had to sort of "duck" to see properly, the rear window seems quite small and you needed to use the side mirrors more than usual.

Driving wise it was ok. Not as zippy as earlier corrollas I remember. The poor little gearbox didn't quite know what to do getting up Castle Hill, but I think most cars would struggle.

My car that we were comparing to is a 2005 318bmw, so I actually thought the 2103 Toyota would have been pretty close

I would look at Mazda 3 over the corolla, you can get brand new ones for 20k drive away.

I had a new Ford Focus as a hire car for my recent reno trip to Bendigo and it was a slug with the worst automatic transmission I have had the misery to drive... and I used to have a 3 speed VH Commodore with the holden tri-matic (aka traumatic) auto...

be careful of the poor safety record of the corolla.... apparently people are so bored they fall asleep at the wheel :eek:

oh what a...zzzzzzzzzzz

He is not that big, weighs in at around 95kg and is 6'2".
Those stats signify a pretty big guy...

I think the average is about 5' 11" and 80kg's or thereabouts.

Assuming we are talking about blokes who are average build and not overweight...which is over 50% of the population now....could even be 60%.

Back to the cars; I would look at the Hyundai equivalents.

Gotta remember that Corollas are primarily designed as a females car ... I have a 2008 Corolla and love it. Bought it in 2010 for $16,800 with 30k on the clock.

Goes practically anywhere hubby's 4WD Pajero goes (in the dry) - very zippy - easy to park - good on fuel - cheap to service - and being a hatch can pack an absolute stack load in the back ... most I had at once was 6 bales of stable sawdust - a whole house of curtains and rods - two dozen plants - assorted horse gear - and there was still room for more.

This car will be juniors when she hits 17.

Thanks for opinions folks,

Yes, I was a bit uncertain about the pinched view out the rear window.

It is mainly for Mrs R. I can get a 2011 Ascent ex fleet for around 16k which is same style as Lizzies. 50000kms

Mazdas look a bit chunky to me but maybe I should test drive.

Hyundai is possible - 2011 @ 15k ex fleet with 50000km

I have just bought a new Corolla ascent sports. I too was concerned about the small back window but found most new hatches have small windows. I haven't found it to be a problem at all, I can see out the back plus my car has a reversing camera which is just brilliant.

I love the car!

I looked at the previous year Corolla & did find that totally boring, hated the big console in the middle & I would of had to pay extra for power windows at the back so I did not consider it at all. I was considering the Mazda & Hyundai but by chance saw the new Corolla and wow what a difference to the old model.
To me the inside dash has a retro look. For $1,000 extra I got the sports model which gave you so many extras, you'd be mad to consider the base model. Extras like alloy wheels, fog lights, leather steering wheel, chrome trims, cruise control, privacy glass & the reversing camera to name a few.
I also paid extra for the sat nav, bit pricey but well worth it. Gives you live traffic updates & reroutes you if there is a problem. Oh, and there is also a DVD player, nice to have but doubt whether I will use it.
It drives like a dream. But I guess any car would be better than what I was driving before which was a Holden Viva, ugh!

Driving wise it was ok. Not as zippy as earlier corrollas I remember. The poor little gearbox didn't quite know what to do getting up Castle Hill, but I think most cars would struggle.

Mine's zippy - but don't go any less than a 1.8

Drove a 1.6 Laser once - what a slug

They are fine cars if you want a commuter.

Not for me but they are solid, reliable and do exactly what they say on the tin. If that is what you want, then they are one of the best choices.

I'm in a similar situation where I'd like to upgrade my 96 Corolla even though she still drives fine.

Up until recently I was looking at the VW Polo, but then noticed the VW Up! With a 3cylinder 1.0ltr (standard petrol) engine, its just as zippy as my Corolla.. and more fuel efficient at approx 4.5l/100km with city/motorway driving. Currently selling for $13k incl on roads. With a trade in and some haggling I might get it for $10k with 1.5% finance? Not bad for a brand new VW ;)
Just need to check it can fit 2 surfboards or a bike without puting down the front seat.

I'm very happy with the Hyundai I30 I've recently bought. But then, after my old bomb, I'd be happy with anything.

I chose that size because I still wanted some good internal space and the ability to go on longer trips without killing the engine.

I chose the Hyundai because it had the best user reviews (with a significant number of reviews) of any within that size range. It is one of six cars with the maximum safety rating. It's the 2012 car of the year in the sub $35k category.

After having an old bomb, bluetooth for playing music (and sometimes answering phones) was a great bonus.

I think the average is about 5' 11" and 80kg's or thereabouts.

Assuming we are talking about blokes who are average build and not overweight...which is over 50% of the population now....could even be 60%.

Back to the cars; I would look at the Hyundai equivalents.

He's big alright. I'm five six and a half and one thirty seven pounds ringing wet. I think I could fit in one of his trouser legs. But I can wrestle any sixth grader to the ground pretty easily!

I don think one could go wrong with a new carolla, oh what a feeling!:)

I absolutley, love and adore my Corolla ZR Levin, with its skyview roof, and all the mod cons, bought in December. This is my third corolla, I still have my 99 csi, liked my 2007 Corolla Conquest but this would be the best car of all three. It is very gutsy, lots of grunt, although my son says it doesn't. At first I thought the side and back windows were a bit small, I now think this has excellent viewing all around, certainly better then the conquest I last had. It is great on fuel economy.

I too test drove several cars before deciding to stay with Corolla's.

The Corolla is a reliable and safe car. If you want a jazzy and cooler looking car then you can find plenty of alternatives but if you want a car that drives really well around Australian roads and has one of the best safety records then you can't go wrong. Also it will be easier to sell later than other cars in it's range. I have driven 2010, 2011, 2012 models and they are all similar and drive very nicely. I prefer a manual over an auto though because I prefer to get more out of the car instead of letting it get worked to hard in wrong gears like what happens when people go with the lazy auto option.

I prefer jazzy and cooler cars. These are the ones with jazz cd's and come with freshly gassed aircon. Love 'em !

Back