2015-2016 Budget

As a wild prediction, I'd say we'll see a calm, boring budget with few surprises and even fewer tough decisions.

well last budget speech Abbott claims there won't be any surprises in the budget and looked what happened next? Everyone was angered by the budget and nearly none of the proposal actually passes through the senate.

note: less than 1 min before speech starts

Hot off the press.......special "bogan payments" will be introduced. Funds must be spent on ugg boots and fllanno shirts lol

At first thoughts I Like

Business $20k Deduction
Startup/Restructure Deduction
Mobile Tech FBT exemption

Don't like
Childcare increases (and I have 5 kids)

At first thoughts I Like

Business $20k Deduction
Startup/Restructure Deduction
Mobile Tech FBT exemption

Don't like
Childcare increases (and I have 5 kids)

I missed the whole budget.
What is the 20k business deduction?
And the restructure deduction?

Impressed by the decision to cut aid to Indonesia by 40%

Disappointed no change to negative gearing, though didn't expect it really.

Biggest winner is the low paid child care industry - forcing parents back into the workforce to dump their kids in child care. I detest this one as a retrograde step forcing primary carers out of the house and back into the workforce. It doesn't make financial sense for many parents to head back to work after a kid (sub one year olds cost over $140/day in the CBD), by the time you pay for parking, clothes, meals and loss of quality of life (by not being at home) you are well behind.

The child care industry loves it as there is more demand in an industry which is grossly undersupplied in many of the areas which need it eg CBD/inner city, out of hours/shift workers etc.

Back