$20k inheritence

Right now? It'd be a tear between using it + my savings to put a deposit down. OR Yeehaw, U.S.A Here I come!

Maybe best of both worlds and 10k split either way.

Travel the world whilst the exchange rate was in my favour & buy some more shares.... probably not the answer you were looking for or will get from others, but that's what I would do.

I'd put it in one of those online high interest savings accounts, a term deposit or a managed fund & wait til it increased a bit whilst deciding where best to use it. (I'd be trying to get it up high enough so it could be used as a deposit on another IP).

Wow... someone else prepared to live a little! I'm impressed...;)

Mate at least once a month I find myself considering chucking it all in, flying out to the U.S.A and hitch-hiking/trying to work my way around America for a year. Then who knows from there.

But there's tethers, links and bonds which have been formed which would all need to be broken (some without possibility for repair) if this was to happen.

You saw 'working in the mines' thread... same deal. Hungry for a bit of adventure I think, want to see what it's like being by myself and standing on my own two feet.

We'll see.

I'd do one of the following:

1. Add to my savings for a house deposit.
2. Add it to a super fund with an aggressive growth strategy (let this compound away for 40 years)
3. Invest it for 10+ years via a deposit bond, again using an aggressive growth fund (tax free after 10 years).
4. Go on a holiday and have some serious fund, maybe save some too.

The last time I didn't have any debt I was just out of Uni. Option 3 would have been the best stategy for me at that time, but it would have really been somewhere between 1 and 4.

I would do something that my benefactor would have approved of and would help me remember them.

ie, if they were big on travel then I'd use it for travel. If they loved to invest in the stockmarket, I'd do that. If they collected snow globes and crocheted woollen vests for their vast collection of cats, I'd... well, not sure. But I'd try and tie it in with something that they were passionate about.

I could buy a rental outright and pocket $500 month right away.
or
I could use it for a deposit on another rental that comes with land, and pocket the same $500 month, after holding costs.

Back