$2m in 22 months - Rob's story ..

Thanks heaps guys!! With so much D&G all around, it's very refreshing to be reminded that there are other "beacons" of light out there.
I try to filter out the cr@p that doesn't server my purpose, but with so much of it out there, it gets harder every day.
Can't wait to catch up with you guys (again in your case Michael).

Thanks heaps guys!! With so much D&G all around, it's very refreshing to be reminded that there are other "beacons" of light out there.
I try to filter out the cr@p that doesn't serve.........

Change your focus to change your mind. Keep at what you're doing Rob, because it's working. :)

To the best of my ability (I'm not perfect at it, YET ;) ) I detach myself from the good opinion of others (penguin/herd).

No one has ever harmed their eyesight by looking at the bright side of life.

For those that can't see the bright side, then polish the dull side.

I like this one from Jim Rohn:

"Do what you need to do as quickly as possible, so you can enjoy what you want to do for as long as possible."

Bring on property Christmas :D

I'm not afraid of the debt. My values are not only holding up strongly, but moving ahead quite nicely. The tenants are paying their rent on time and there are rent increases in the pipline, so it's all on track, regardless of the GFC.

Geez Rob, aren't you paying attention?;

-the markets are going to tank by 40% or more,
-debt is bad,
-tenants trash your property,
-your money should be in the Bank.

Geez Rob, aren't you paying attention?;

-the markets are going to tank by 40% or more,
-debt is bad,
-tenants trash your property,
-your money should be in the Bank.

Now you tell me!!!
Call my broker and REA. Sell EVERYTHING. SELL. SELL. SELL.
Thanks for the heads up.

Marc's right Rob, yo're gonna crash and burn mate! I'm sure I've told you this before!

No smart investor would be buying any assets - property or otherwise - in this current environment. :D

great thread rob - only just discovered and kudo's to you.

wish i'd read it 10 years ago and saved a lot of "learning experiences" :rolleyes:

great thread rob - only just discovered and kudo's to you.

wish i'd read it 10 years ago and saved a lot of "learning experiences" :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments Lizzie. I wish I'd been able to write it 10 years ago.
Still, second best time to plant a tree ... and all that ...
Even if only one person gets motivated to make a move in the right direction or learns something that helps them move forward, then it's been worth the effort in writing it up.
I still don't get why the thread still gets comments. It's really not that big a deal. Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can!!

I still don't get why the thread still gets comments. It's really not that big a deal. Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can!!

Its because Aussies love the underdog.........you have proven that its never too late to turn S#%t around and make S#%t happen, given your life experiences i.e divorce etc etc.

Also, it helps me realise that I (and I am sure others on here) that we have limited options, either listen to the media and D&G stay at a full time JOB and make that extra $30 in the pension (at retirement)work for us or ignore the hype, make dligent decisions in regards to investing,try and minimise risk and have a go at making a real go of a life of financial freedom for ourselves and future generations!

Big Tone

Capitalising interest sounds like a very useful tool. Never come across it when researching different type of loans. Just imagine how useful a interest only loan with capitalising interest would be.

I could not see in your explanation where you used capitalising interest Rob after reading it 3 times. Could you please explain.

With cross collateralisation, did you use the equity in 1,2 and 3 to buy 4,5, and 6? I take it the equity in just 1 alone was not enough.

I could not see in your explanation where you used capitalising interest Rob after reading it 3 times. Could you please explain.

With cross collateralisation, did you use the equity in 1,2 and 3 to buy 4,5, and 6? I take it the equity in just 1 alone was not enough.

There are certain details I didn't share as I wanted to keep at least a few things private. My main aim, though, is to encourage others to have a go and not be afraid to do so. It's a bit if a trade off.
The loan I took out for IP 6 (June 2008) included an additional amount which was captialised interest and it sat in an offset account o be drawn down over time to cover the shortfall. As it turned out, rates started to drop after that and the rate cuts left me able to fund the shortfall with the same out of pocket contribution that I was making prior to buying IP 6.
So, yes, I would have been relying on capitalised interest had rates not fallen so dramatically. That money has now been reinvested in other business ventures that are providing good returns.
IP 7 was funded (20% plus settlement costs) using equity from 2 other properties, extracted during the refinance process plus a loan for the 80% balance of the purchase price.
IP's 5 & 6 were cross collateralised with IP 1 to get the deals over the 80% LVR line and avoid LMI.
Hope that answers your question.

There are certain details I didn't share as I wanted to keep at least a few things private. My main aim, though, is to encourage others to have a go and not be afraid to do so. It's a bit if a trade off.
The loan I took out for IP 6 (June 2008) included an additional amount which was captialised interest and it sat in an offset account o be drawn down over time to cover the shortfall. As it turned out, rates started to drop after that and the rate cuts left me able to fund the shortfall with the same out of pocket contribution that I was making prior to buying IP 6.
So, yes, I would have been relying on capitalised interest had rates not fallen so dramatically. That money has now been reinvested in other business ventures that are providing good returns.
IP 7 was funded (20% plus settlement costs) using equity from 2 other properties, extracted during the refinance process plus a loan for the 80% balance of the purchase price.
IP's 5 & 6 were cross collateralised with IP 1 to get the deals over the 80% LVR line and avoid LMI.
Hope that answers your question.

Thank you for a very considerate and thought ful reply Rob. I am constantly suprised and impressed with the effort you put into replying to people and helping them.

Thank you for a very considerate and thought ful reply Rob. I am constantly suprised and impressed with the effort you put into replying to people and helping them.

Thanks for that. I'm very passionate about sharing my experiences with others. I don't know it all and I don't have all the answers. I don't even know all the questions :)
But, I know what's worked for me and if just one person finds their way to financial freedom using something they learned from me, then all the time and effort sharing what I've learned is worthwhile.
The that person shares with a few other, then they share with a few others and it grows exponentially.
It's a dream, but a worthy one, I believe.

Great reading Rob!

All before me have expressed their gratitude for your generosity in sharing such an inspirational story, but I must add mine to the pile...Thanks! I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter.

Best of luck to you mate.

JJ

Hi Rob,

Yours is a very inspiring story. Thankyou for sharing.

Just wondering, was that your article I read in the Melbourne Herald Sun regarding property investing?

Above Average

Back