3 bedder for 41K!!

I am pretty sure it will cost a LOT more this way due to labour.

If you can DIY you will be better off :p

If you can get it cheaper though (i.e. 20k then it might be in your favour) but 40k is way too much.

You need to read the specifications thoroughly to see what is included in the price. Often kit homes are advertised at a price which is simply the exterior shell of a house with nothing internally (or even the slab).
Marg

this is a kit home like prefabricated. but that is just the home, you have to assemble it etc so labour costs depending on how much you know abt it.

they're designed by mondo architects in brisbane.

there is a company in melbourne doing 200 homes using imagine homes kit in bundoora. sunland group o romstheing

Kit homes

Hiya

So everyone comments it is a kit home and needs all these other miscellaneous costs......

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN DO AN APPROXIMATE BALL PARK FIGURE OF THESE ELUSIVE COSTS?????
For eg.
Kit 41K
Plus slab XXX
Plus plumbing XXX etc etc etc

I am sure this will be of interest to many people:p

And pleeze don't say it depends on many site factors...:D

Hiya

So everyone comments it is a kit home and needs all these other miscellaneous costs......

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN DO AN APPROXIMATE BALL PARK FIGURE OF THESE ELUSIVE COSTS?????
For eg.
Kit 41K
Plus slab XXX
Plus plumbing XXX etc etc etc

I am sure this will be of interest to many people:p

And pleeze don't say it depends on many site factors...:D

I looked at doing a large two story kit home base price was 45k completed fixtures plumbing bathrooms etc was $180,000

these are basically shells.

it was cheaper to build a brick home use Dixon homes

Not only get a ballpark on what it costs to put up, but find out about stuff like certification and coding (some of these things are not up to standard in certain places - kit homes are a minefield in cyclonic areas, for example) or better yet, get in touch with people who have actually purchased one and successfully put it up.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/New-Home-Designs/NSW/Gosford/?adid=2009528281

Hiya

i know you still need a builder /plumber/electrician to put together..

and it is still a kit home; but will be great for a granny flat?

Can people comment on the total costs all up??

I think it's usually around a 60-40% split 40% materials (kit home) and 60% labour - so around 100k if the above split is correct which I heard once from a guy doing a kit home 5 or so years ago and which is in no way a set in stone fact.

I built a house back in 2002 in NSW. It was a small two bed kit home that came in bits and pieces in a shipping container just like you'd ordered materials from the hardware supplier. Armed with a DVD and manual I tackled it .....

The purchase cost was $43,000 for the shell only, ... no internals ..... On completion the final cost was $81,000 (used recycled windows) for a totally finished product. The final figure includes all costs associated with the DA process, surveyors, soil testing, council fee's etc

I did 80% of the work myself to save cost. I didn't do any electrical or plumbing as I got the experts in for that and I worked with a roofer to put the colourbond sheets on. The rest I did on my own.

I suppose the bottom line for me is that I wouldn't do it again, ...... I'd get a project home built. We really didn't save that much when I sat down and worked it out and it's bloody hard work. I saved labour costs, but if I'd worked and earned wages for the build period and hired a builder to build it then it would have been a better use of my time.

We are having a new house built up in SE Qld as part of a dual occupancy development build .... 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 garage with auto doors, carpets, tiles, blinds, landscaping, driveways/paths, fences ... a total turnkey package ... everything for $200,000.

I will renovate the existing house next door while it's being built to add value and rent return to the original property .... a much better use of my time and the end value of the completed house will be around the $330,000 to $340,000 mark plus around $50,000 added equity to the existing property.

Do we really save by doing it ourselves or are we sometimes better off thinking of a smarter option? Depends on the project I suppose.

All the best

Mystery ... :D

Kit homes

Thanks Mystery

Nothing beats having someone who has actually done it to give the full story...

i have come into possession of a piece of land....and now wondering what is the best (and cheapest) way to put a house on it? does not have to be flash as the area is not flash and going to rent it out for about 230 per week...

anyone done a relocating of a unwanted house ?

We had an acreage block out in the sticks about ten years ago. We priced both kit homes and removal houses, and in both cases it was not worth our while. You could have built a "real" house for the same size and price, about $100K from a $40K to $50K kit or removal house. Being country, there were additional service connection costs that you wouldnt have in a town, another $20K on top of the $100K.

There was a house removal company five miles away and it still wasnt worth the hassle, cost or time. We sold the land for a massive profit the following year.

Back