4 car garage?

Hi all,

We are building a new PPoR (porter davis).

It comes with a double garage as standard. We are thinking about upgrading it to a four-car garage.

Porter Davis would charge an additional 18k based on initial estimates.

Lifestyle questions aside, is it worth it? Would it add value to the house? The demographics of the area is mostly qualified professionals with families with many architecturally designed homes. The block is in Berwick VIC.

This will be our PPoR for the medium term (5-10 years) and possibly an IP after that.

How much would it cost to extend a double garage into a 4 car garage after the house is built?

Thanks for your comments/input.

Srini

It's your house. $1.8k a year doesn't seem like a lot to meet your needs.

If you're worried about adding value, maybe you can design it so that half of it can be easily sectioned off as a rumpus room.

I have seen a lot of investment properties built - at the end of the day, it is your money.

As a property manager and investor - I would like to see the 3rd and 4th garage spaces be more multi-functional. Eg can be garage, can be rumpus/teenagers retreat can be boys den...that kind of thing. Better selling point than 4 car garage on it's own.

the reno we just sold has a 4 car garage with toilet/washing facilities - was a huge buying point for both the men (shed drool :D) and the women (hubby away in the shed with his mates drool ;)).

my hubby is very sad to be leaving it and is desparately trying to reconfigure how to extend our 2 car gge to hold a workshop

I'll put in a vote for the extra garaging space too. I would pay a lot more than $18k for an extra 2 spaces. There is nothing I like more than seeing a photo of a listed properties garage.

Sometimes you see a property come up with an amazing garage described in the text like an 8 bay undercroft garage but no pictures. To me that's just about the only picture I would need to see!! :D By that I mean if the floor plan and garage are ok then the rest is just fluff*.

Gools

* = Can be changed cheaply to suit.

I thought I might have a bit of a squiz on re.com and try and find my favourite garage. This one should take a bit of topping....
Hoist, check. Classic motorbikes, check. Lathe and mill to take up my spare time, check. :D

Can anyone find one they like better? Sorry for wasting your time but us blokes like our sheds!!

Galston NSW

20100723114132.jpg

This one would be ok too.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sovereign+islands-106710632
20100726022908.jpg

Or this one....
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-stafford-106710507
20100726123412.jpg

Female here who would definitely pay more for extra garage space. We've got kayaks that are just that bit too long for a normal garage, and being worth 4k each don't want to store them outside.
Also the mountain bikes and other gear.

Big garages are great. Especially if they also have some built in shelving for storage.

I think 4 garages are worthwhile or will this be 2 garage doors with enough room to park 2 cars in each one or a combination of cars, boats trailers, caravans etc.

Build what you need for your family.

Cheers
Sheryn

Back