40,000 Australian property investors bail out - less buyers now..

Look I don't have a problem with the content of the post. The majority of people on here wouldn't either. It's just the very familiar template that he is following.

In the past trolls entered the forum with guns blazing.
This always ended in their posts being attacked and there points being lost in the noise.

Trolls these days have modified the template a little.

Come in a little softer
Be polite
Even drop the odd good news post.

This allows them to post more before the true colours shine through(which they will)

Like I said I have no problem with the post it's the intention that is questionable. If I'm wrong the so be it. Time will tell.

Sunfish. The hat does not fit. Sorry. Do you have something a little bigger :)

devo, property spruikers have a templete.

1) Shoot down any discent and deviation from the party line, and as quickly as possible.
2) Be polite, give advise with a slight property spruiker bias

3) End the post with the manditory link to a self promotion website or property company. www. propertyspruker .com.au

Look I don't have a problem with the content of the post. The majority of people on here wouldn't either. It's just the very familiar template that he is following.

In the past trolls entered the forum with guns blazing.
This always ended in their posts being attacked and there points being lost in the noise.

Trolls these days have modified the template a little.

Come in a little softer
Be polite
Even drop the odd good news post.

This allows them to post more before the true colours shine through(which they will)

Like I said I have no problem with the post it's the intention that is questionable. If I'm wrong the so be it. Time will tell.

:)

LOL with your quote above
You can't be serious?

I hope your past experience with the mythical creature called the Troll hasn't caused post traumatic stress disorder? Causing anxiety, over reaction, suspicion and just a hint of paranoia.

LOL with your quote above
You can't be serious?

I hope your past experience with the mythical creature called the Troll hasn't caused post traumatic stress disorder? Causing anxiety, over reaction, suspicion and just a hint of paranoia.

I might be wrong and I hope I'm wrong with you. As you spend time on here you will see that the mythical troll is alive and well and my templet suggestion is quite accurate.
And no I'm not paranoid........why?.... your not a cop are ya ???

I have a strong suspicion that Devo has called correct on this one. Again, not so much by the content of the original post, should an established member have posted it, but because it was posted by a newbie (and said newbie has also started another thread on the poor performance of property).

The forum is dedicated to people who either are investing in property, have invested in property or want to learn about investing in property. The average newbie who finds this site will fit that mold, they won't post D&G.

Some trolls are obvious obnoxious creatures, like Betty Boob, and others are a little more subtle and travel incognito.

Looking at the ABS 5609.0 Housing Finance stats, then the trend for Housing finance from October 2009 to September 2010 was steady or down every month. This changed from Sept 2010 to January 2011 where the trend was up. Now for February (the latest release) the trend has changed and has headed downwards. Citing one month doesn't add any insight and if you tracked house prices over the time, the results maybe counter intuitive.

Is a 2.4% drop in investor numbers from FY2008 and FY2009 material? And does it provide any insight into the market today? It might provide some more context to see if this is a trend over a number of years instead of a once off yearly result.

The forum is dedicated to people who either are investing in property, have invested in property or want to learn about investing in property. The average newbie who finds this site will fit that mold, they won't post D&G.

That is correct. And like any investment in an asset class, you also need to take into account external factors which may impact the performance of the asset class. Property is no different. But somehow the property bulls want everyone to believe that Australia property is different. That world events can't, and won't have a negative impact on property, and that there is no potential of property correcting.

As per the original post, rising interest rates, the cutting back of the FHOG and other stimulus, rising inflation globally, a slowing economy, all have an impact on property. The property bulls on here seem paranoid about any discussion that is counter to their "rainbows and lollypops" view on the property market.

My personal opinion of the Aus property market is positive, but i'm always interested in the D&G predictors - if i see anything that makes sense to me personally, then i'll investigate!!

No harm in having an open mind :)

That is correct. And like any investment in an asset class, you also need to take into account external factors which may impact the performance of the asset class. Property is no different. But somehow the property bulls want everyone to believe that Australia property is different. That world events can't, and won't have a negative impact on property, and that there is no potential of property correcting.

As per the original post, rising interest rates, the cutting back of the FHOG and other stimulus, rising inflation globally, a slowing economy, all have an impact on property. The property bulls on here seem paranoid about any discussion that is counter to their "rainbows and lollypops" view on the property market.

I have no problem with talking about all the things that can negatively impact on property. I know that it's not all rainbows & lollypops and that many things can and do happen to unravel the best of plans. That's life, and presuming that things can never go wrong is no more than wishful thinking.

However, I have been here a long time now, and I have noticed that most newbie posts have one thing in common. They want to discuss property. It is rare that a newbie will start off with a D&G post unless they are NOT here to contribute as a whole to this forum.

Now, in saying that, they might want to discuss issues that a friend/neighbour/work collegue has brought up that makes them nervous about the market, or investing as a whole. I don't consider that to be D&G, just general interest and a learning opportunity. They might say it's unaffordable & how do I start, again, asking for advice. Or they might jump straight in and be quite knowledgeable.

/rant

Who cares what the "property market" is doing anyway?

Personally I only care about the performance of my individual properties and I've never seen any significant correlation between that and these indices everyone keeps harping on about?

If you think the "market" is going south, then how about posting up individual property opportunities which will prosper during this time instead? Where the risk has already been priced in or the yield is already a killer? Or do people seriously believe that not one property in the whole country will be profitable for an investor during this time? In which case I definitely have no time for such a discussion because it's obviously wrong.

I just get really tired of so many discussions about something no-one can actually buy... can we just possibly focus instead on the type and location of properties that can be bought and are actually likely to do well and for what reasons???

It would certainly make a refreshing change!

\rant

Here's some interesting research from the ATO

Figures released by the ATO show there is already a reduction in the number of people with investment properties, down from 1.73 million in 2007-08 to 1.69 million in 2008-09.

That is 40,000 less investors in the market place who may have owned 1-2 properties?

Those people reported an average net loss on their investments of $6528.
Thanks for the link,i was talking to a property investor about 2 hours ago they paided 380k in late 2008,3 bed 2 bath,weatherboard 60's style home on 607 sqm's,total gutted inside ,no elec's,no plumbing no bathroom,hws and all copper has been stolen:rolleyes:,just like a removal blank internal,the flood level went just below the peak of the roof,but the underside is in rsj's and on solid 100x100 gal pillars so the frame is solid..

The sign on the front gate is 220k wiwo clean unencumbered title,, the best offer so far is 180k with 60 days settlement,they told me upfront the have to sell they stand in face value over 180k,so for those that think property always goes up it does,but it's the bumps in the road that can cause problems..

Last edited:

Most of the longer term investors here are pretty savvy, and aren't at all how you portray them. Sure there are the odd spruiker-ish types, but most of the investors here, I would think, are pretty sensible.

I agree with what you are saying in the second paragraph, first sentence. Adding to that, I would say that concumer confidence levels are low, and people aren't spending on much at all.

FWIW, I don't think the original post was a troll statement, but I understand why people think that it may have been. As for the detail in the link, the number of property investors reduced by 2.5% at a time of global uncertainty and tightening of lending criteria.

Back