5 year fixed rates thread

I might have to get a Westpac business loan - and noticed that the variable has dropped by 1% in the last week to 7.69 % but fixed 2 and 3 yr have jumped UP by .55% and .6% respectively to 6.35 and 6.8%....what gives??

Long end sold off up to 45bps since RBA cut early Feb so that could be what they are going of. In saying that the resi fixed rates havent gone up so who knows what feedback the Treasury and Marketing teams are giving to the Interest Rates committee when deciding these things.

Hi All,

Now with bank bill yields have stabilised, & 3 & 5 year money is more expensive, now what are everyone's thoughts about fixed rates?

Is anyone currently having their loans fixed or are we still waiting?

I'm thinking about making a move, but not sure if it's time:confused:. Now I know no one can predict when the bottom hits but I'm pretty sure some have idea when they will stop.

Cheers:)
George

Still waiting...

I'm a simple man and I see it this way. Until they fix Wall St, they won't fix Main St. So don't expect an economic recovery until the financial system sorts itself out. This means I expect to see the BBSW improve before the economy comes back. If that's the case, then I should see the BBSW better whilst the RBA is still holding its cash rate in the expansionary range. When that happens expect your long dated rates to improve and do so before the RBA starts hiking (late) to slow an economy expanding too fast.

There's no rush. The financial system is still stuffed and will take some time to fix. Worry about fixing rates when the financial system is fixed and the economy is showing tentative signs of being on the improve.

I give it at least 12-18 months.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi All,

Is anyone currently having their loans fixed or are we still waiting?

I'm thinking about making a move, but not sure if it's time:confused:. Now I know no one can predict when the bottom hits but I'm pretty sure some have idea when they will stop.

Cheers:)
George

The truth is ... nobody really knows what is going to happen next.

You can gather as many opinion as you wish, but in the end there is still uncertainty.

It should really depend on your personal circumstances rather than on expectations of hitting the bottom.

TokenFunder said it better than everybody else:
"Fix for predictability, (discounted) variable for cheaper over the long term".

I am currently fixing one of my loans, but that doesn't mean you need to do the same.

It's your specific situation that should drive your decision more than anything else.

Cheers,

Aussies Rates are down again

5's infront of all comparison rates

Dave

Attachments

• Aussie Feb 16 coming down.JPG
    Aussie Feb 16 coming down.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 144
Comparison rates are almost a scam, they have unrealistic assumptions such as that the variable rate will stay the same, and the term of the loan etc. They also assume you will stay with that same lender for 30 years!!

I look at the fixed rate only, and at the end of the term re-evaluate. You'd be mad to just roll onto the variable and leave it sit like the comparison rates assume when theres always new options out there in 5 years time.

Hey it looks like RAMS are going cheap for over $500k of debt now, 5 year rates 5.71 http://app1.ratecity.com.au/pls/htm...,P6_CLICKPROD_NOLOG:MORT0000047940,,Clickprod

Still not low enough for me :(

Last edited:
Westpac have just dropped their 5 year fixed rate to 6.29% on the premier Advantage package; effective 17th Feb. How about that!

Bring it on, hope to see the 5 in front of it on the next cut.

:)
George

Westpac have just dropped their 5 year fixed rate to 6.29% on the premier Advantage package; effective 17th Feb. How about that!

:)
George
Yep, that seems right.

Showing as 6.49% here, but the pro packers get 20bp off that amount.

Still the odd 6.19% 5 year fixed out there which has been the best on offer for a while now. All the arrows on this table are pointing in the right direction. I just watch it to see that they're all still falling and wait until the economic crap really hits the fan. Then rates will get interesting.

Cheers,
Michael

Great thread, keep up the good work.

I'm watching fixed rates carefully at the moment in line with my present view that at some point I would like a 10yr fix.

You got to roll the dice at one point or another. I would be suprised if we are at 4% in 2011. If we are it is, we would have gone to 3% in between.

Peter

Not if your variables rates are going to at around 4% for some time...

Here's todays futures yield curve.
attachment.php

The futures imply that the RBA rate in Jun 2010 (14 months away) will be ~50bps below the current rate, and for most of the intervening time it'll be more than 100bps below the current rate.

The big4 variable rate is currently ~5%, so assuming they pass on most of any RBA cuts, it'll mean that variable rates after Jun 10 will have to be significantly above the current rate for those who are fixing at todays offered rates to come out ahead.

And as a comparison, the yield curve from 6 weeks ago... (note the change in the Y axis).
attachment.php

Attachments

• SFEYieldCurve20thFeb2009.jpg
    SFEYieldCurve20thFeb2009.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 385
Back