5 year fixed rates thread

That indicates to me more the fact that perhaps you shouldn't have been fixing certain loans in the first place?

If you fix and rates go down - yeah it sucks, but doesn't mean you're forced to extricate yourself and get burnt.

I've got a couple properties that I doubt I'll be fixing for very long (if at all) because future scenario's involve selling them.

All good points, Steve.

It was in the days (early to mid 90's) when I was young and foooooolish. Mind you I only barely had enough awareness to exit when it became apparent that not to do so would be an ever increasingly painful experience.

Now of course things have moved on, I now know that I'm a successful property investor because I have got over such penalty charge disasters, managed to accumulate a truck load of "good" debt, I get to hear about tenant requests most days of the week, undertake daily chicken entrail readings in the pages of the Fin Review, and shock, horror (only kidding!), feverishly frequent chat rooms such as this searching for some enlightenment to lift me out of my escalating interest rate morass.

You know sometimes I ruminate about other less enlightened souls (ie; non property investors) whom I personally know and who have merely stuck at owning their own home and who have, by their mid to late 40's, wiped out most of their mortgage, and they are off on overseas holidays. All the while I'm left holding a bunch of inanimate properties and, like Gomex Adams, feverishly reading the interest rate ticker tape.

Big Rog

You know sometimes I ruminate about other less enlightened souls (ie; non property investors) whom I personally know and who have merely stuck at owning their own home and who have, by their mid to late 40's, wiped out most of their mortgage, and they are off on overseas holidays. All the while I'm left holding a bunch of inanimate properties and, like Gomex Adams, feverishly reading the interest rate ticker tape.

Big Rog

You say that like it's a bad thing Rog! Don't know about you but I enjoy all that stuff. :)

Like your friends, I'll be taking holidays when I'm 40 as well, except I'll be in the position at that time not to have to return - period. Know which I'd rather. ;)

Hi there,

Has anyone pulled the trigger yet on 5 year fixed rates???

St. George at 5.79% pa is the leader it seems...

It's getting very tempting to fix for 5yrs,

About time CBA dropped theirs.

My last 5 yr fixed was with CBA at 6.14% it reset late last year. When I locked that one in, in 2003 the RBA rate was 4.25% we are now at 3.25% & their 5 yr is 6.25%. Just shows how much larger their margins are currently.

I note that the 5 yr treasury bonds have started coming down again, so I think i will hold out a little longer to see after the April 0.5% RBA, drop wether CBA later in the month go to 6% flat.

Today had an "Investors Direct" broker offer me $250K with Rams at 5.99% 5yr fixed. Couldnt qualify for the St George one (5.94%) as they have a tougher criteria.

Also CBA do their stress test by adding 0.85% as of next week they will add 1.5% to their calculations, this will greatly reduce how much you can loan.

Spud

Have heard that about St George also....i called them and they did a quick assessment and they are keen to get my business and me them.

I don't have any confidence in CBA keeping fixed rates competitive..though they are the most flexible in terms of lending. That may change once their new stress test comes in as per your email.
:rolleyes:
Today had an "Investors Direct" broker offer me $250K with Rams at 5.99% 5yr fixed. Couldnt qualify for the St George one (5.94%) as they have a tougher criteria.

Also CBA do their stress test by adding 0.85% as of next week they will add 1.5% to their calculations, this will greatly reduce how much you can loan.

Spud

How strange I swear it was there earlier...................nah must have looked at it all squinty eyed or something, sorry about that!

How strange I swear it was there earlier...................nah must have looked at it all squinty eyed or something, sorry about that!
sparky,

A friend of mine sent me the following message ....... it would appear that you could get 5.5% for 4 years provided you have an HSBC credit card and are prepared to be locked in for a 3 to 4 year period .....

"Because you're an HSBC Credit Card customer, we want you to be the first to hear about an amazing HSBC home loans offer. For a very limited time, we're offering you a massive 1.85% p.a. off our standard variable home loan rate for 12 months*!

If you prefer to fix your loan, for a limited time you can get 0.30% p.a. off 3-5 year fixed rates*.

Home Value Loan
Home Rewards
Variable Rate
Fixed Rate^^

Market Linked Loan

Description
A simple 'no frills' home loan
Guaranteed low variable interest rate
Complete repayment flexibility
Enjoy security and peace of mind
A loan for investors with income in a foreign currency

Interest rate type
Variable
Variable
Variable (introductory rate available)
Fixed 1-5 years
Fixed rate resets every 3 months (HKD or USD)

Interest rate^
5.23% p.a
5.84% p.a
5.84% p.a
4.99% p.a (1 year)
5.20% p.a (2 years)
5.29% p.a (3 years)
5.80% p.a (4 years)
6.00% p.a (5 years)

AUD - 4.33% p.a
HKD - 0.99% p.a
USD - 1.58% p.a

Comparison interest rate*
5.29% p.a
5.26% p.a
5.90% p.a
5.82% p.a (1 year)
5.78% p.a (2 years)
5.75% p.a (3 years)
5.89% p.a (4 years)
5.97% p.a (5 years)

NA

Purpose
Owner occupier and investment
Investment

Maximum Loan
to Value Ratio**
Owner occupier and investment:
90%
90%
90%
90%
Investment: 60%

Extra repayments

Up to $10,000 per 12 months

On interest review date every 3 months

Redraw

On interest review date every 3 months"

Big Rog

yeah...........but does one REALLY want a loan with an offshore sourced lender right now ?????????/

Its not the first time such lenders have sold off part of their book to second tier lenders, and given the current lender turmoil, is a "rate" worth the lack of SANF ??

ta
rolf

Im hurriedly doing the 3yr fixed rate comparisons right now.... my fiancee and I are buying our PPOR which we wanted to fix for 3yrs to have control of our cashflow.

We were initially going with CBA, but with the likes of NAB and Westpac having much lower fixed rates, ive got my MB doing all the serviceability calcs with NAB to see if we can take advantage of their 5.29% 3yr fixed rate.

5.29% for 3 years is pretty awesome in my books!!

Witzl, why are you looking at locking in for 3 yrs compared to, say, 5 years?

You may well be coming out into rapidly rising rates at the end of 3 years, whereas 5 years might mitigate that risk.

So is that 5.70% pa for 5 years after a 0.3% pa discount?

That would make it the leading rate now.
JIT,
I believe it does equate to 5.7 for 5 years; but of course best to enquire direct if interested. I take heed from Rolf however about the concern of lack of service.
After a while you really do get to appreciate good service.
Big Rog

Im hurriedly doing the 3yr fixed rate comparisons right now.... my fiancee and I are buying our PPOR which we wanted to fix for 3yrs to have control of our cashflow.

We were initially going with CBA, but with the likes of NAB and Westpac having much lower fixed rates, ive got my MB doing all the serviceability calcs with NAB to see if we can take advantage of their 5.29% 3yr fixed rate.

5.29% for 3 years is pretty awesome in my books!!
I know Westpac is still flogging their 5.39% for 3 years and with their 0.2% pro pack discount this makes it 5.19%; not too bad. I'm currently with Westpac and their serviceability calculations were better than ANZ and others when I refinanced in late 07.
Big Rog

Yeah looks like we might be going with Westpac on this one.
The servicability works out, so its all in the MB's hands now :)

Back