50 ideas for helping Aboriginals

How good are you at problem solving?

Our country has around 500,000 Aboriginals - not a huge number, when you think about it.

Can you think of any practical ways to help the plight of even just a few of those Aboriginals wanting help? The various governments have poured a fortune into the problem - with dismal results.

What are some practical ideas we can come up with as individuals, groups and businesses that might actually do some good to even just a handful of Aboriginals? I don't believe the problem is as insoluble as it is made out to be.

I have thought about this question for a year now and I have come up with some starting-point ideas of my own. Yet whenever I raise my ideas with others, invariably the response is negative - "No, that wouldn't work because...blah, blah, blah."

That is why I would like to get this thread going - and to state upfront the rule of the thread:

People are encouraged to present ideas, but no-one is allowed to criticise the ideas presented.

People can improve on an idea that is presented - for example " maybe the idea of .... would work even better if this happened" or whatever.

But no-one can criticise someone else's idea.

I do not claim my ideas are perfect or will even work - they are just starter ideas - maybe a better idea can grow out of each of them. The ideas you contribute don't have to be perfect either.

I'm hoping together we can come up with at least 50 ideas - they don't even have to be original ideas - maybe they are ideas that others have tried and have succeeded to some extent.

So here goes - and remember, no criticism!

1. I read in the paper recently that Antabuse is finally available as an implant. Antabuse used to be a popular treatment for problem drinkers - they would take a tablet each day. If they drank alcohol, they would feel extremely ill. The implant is so much handier - presumably it acts for a few months.

My idea is that all problem drinkers - including aboriginal problem drinkers -could be told about the availability of the antabuse implant and be given the Antabuse for free if they were interested.

Funding? Government or some kind philanthropist

2. There are few opportunities for a quality high school education in rural and remote areas. Each of our capital cities offer a few quality standout public high schools - in Perth, these schools include Churchlands, Applecross, Rossmoyne, , Willetton, Perth Modern.

These schools tend to be in expensive residential areas, but sometimes there are more affordable sububs within their catchment areas.

One example is Willetton - the suburb of Willetton is very affordable compared with lots of other Perth suburbs.

My idea is to find ONE aboriginal family living in a rural/remore area in WA where the parents arekeen to move to Perth to provide a quality high school education for their children. That family could be helped transfer to Perth, put up in affortable rental accommodation, in say Willetton, helped to find jobs and helped to get their children up to speed in academic areas.

In time, when the husband and wife get on their feet financially, say after a couple of years, they start repaying the money spent on setting them up. This money can then be used to fund the next family.

What is required? For the implementer to purchase one house in the school catchment area; locate one suitable Aboriginal family looking to re-locate to the city for the benefit of their children ; some set-up funds; a supportive network of people wishing to help the family get settled.

3. Sponsor academically talented aboriginal children living in remote areas to attend a boarding school in the city. Noel Pearson is keen on this idea - it is expensive as it would cost around $300,000 for 6 years of high school education - but it is do-able - and is already happening in various private schools around Ausstralia.

Perhaps a Rotary-type organisation or a business like Wesfarmers would be interested in sponsoring one or more children. Maybe the boarding school could offer half-scholoarships, or maybe the government could meet the cost dollar for dollar.

4. Have a mining/oil company adopt their local aboriginal community.

Instead of paying a full royalty to the government, each resource company could be allowed to divert some of the royalty money to help build infrastructure and education and health services to the local aboriginal community. Beach Petroleum is doing this voluntarily. In November, they announced committing $600,000 of their profits to helping with the education and employment of Ceduna aboriginal youths.

Andrew Forrest, MD of Fortescue (FMG), is deeply committed to helping the Aboriginal cause. His company has established an Aboriginal traineeship scheme. (He also has stated publicly he plans to give the bulk of his wealth away to good causes - and the aboriginal cause is high on his list.)

My idea is to get the government to allow resource companies to take a hands-on involvement in their aboriginal communities, rather than the government taking the tax money from the resource companies and for the government to then spend it on the Aboriginal cause.

OK - there are four ideas - we need 46 more ideas - or improvements on those ideas - but remember NO criticism of the ideas!!!

Carol

5. Have school exchanges between remote and city areas. Or do tent camps together or something like that. Anything to inform kids/ young people about the lives and thinking of the "other half".

6. Do the same for adults. We just did a trip to the Kimberley and spend 3 days with an aboriginal guide and his community. That has been an incredible eye opener for me and has really tweaked my interest and understanding for aboriginal issues!

kaf

Not a new idea for this post, but as a comment on your school idea, the Brisbane Courier Mail weekend magazine had a story recently about aboriginal students being offered the chance to attend private boarding schools. It was a fantastic idea, cannot remember who was the instigator, but it sounded fantastic. Some of the kids interviewed said they missed their families badly at first, but it seems a good idea to give them a start and for them to see just what they can achieve, if given the chance.

Ideas

1. Allow a referendum for every remote community regarding banning alcohol.
Precede these with an education campaign. Review every few years. Follow up to ensure the bans work. Follow up with more education, and they will never go back to the bad old days.

2. Persuade charities to add remote aborigines to their list of sponsored families. They seem to qualify easily.
I sponsor a family in Honduras, but was never offered a family closer to home.

Not a new idea for this post, but as a comment on your school idea, the Brisbane Courier Mail weekend magazine had a story recently about aboriginal students being offered the chance to attend private boarding schools.
St Joseph's College in Sydney does this.
Forty Aboriginal boys are enrolled at St Joseph's. They are not all on sporting scholarships.

This long-standing program offered by the college was designed to offer Aboriginal boys the best possible opportunities across the board.
There is a plethora of other institutions providing scholarships too...

hi all
one I like is to have the local community put up people to be trained in trades that they can use with the community or area that they are in.
so if say there is a mine going into an area then the local youth get training in building not electrician but in labouring, electricians assistant etc the nine send them for this training or brings the trainers to them.
once trained you now have a local work force that can say build a demountable house.
so now if you need 300 demountable you have a force and you don't now have to import them.
they could do a broad base coarse in say electrical,mechanical, engineering , carpentary, plumbing,
this is to assist the areas until a trades person can fix,
and if they become good at it then they can get qualified.
seems silly to me to have people being paid heaps to go to an area to drive cars and trucks and you have people there that are totally untrained and living on next to nothing.
and instead of having it part of a department make it part of the mines responsabilty
which they will factor it in as a cost of the project and a small cost at that.
what needs to happen is instead of putting it to commities and departments you need to get the business in the area to assist and they won't do that unless there is a benefit por its a requirement for them to do it.
that why climate change and co2 levels have not been addressed if it not a requirement it won't happen
it just business if you don't have to do it why pay for it
simple maths.
we have a couple of chances but we do need business to help

thanks, everyone, for your great ideas. I count 9 ideas so far.

10. teach Aborigines living in remote areas how to grow their own fruit and vegetables.

I saw on Four Corners a remote community tending their own vineyard - with government funding. I figured if they could grow wine grapes they could grow other fruit and vegetables too! lack of affordable fruit and vegetables may be contributing to their health problems.

11. Provide quality education, character-strengths and skills-building courses in rjuvenile detention centres.

I read recently that some Aboriginals youths were deliberately committing crimes in the hope that they would be sent to the juveline detention centres so they could learn to read and get properly fed.

It seems sensible to me to at least grab the opportunity while they are locked up to teach them useful things.

12. Compile a collection of inspiring Aboriginal life stories and distribute to Aborigines

The cheapest, easiest way to do this would be to search the print media for uplifting stories about Aborigines and complie these articles into a book. I come across moving stories all teh time - one was about WA's first aboriginal train driver, another was about the young lady who was the Yound Australian of teh Year for last year; another was about the Aboriginal who was involoved in getting the St joseph's scholarship idea up and running ( I think).

It would be pretty easy to hunt down good stories from the last 5 years or so, get permission to ublish them as a book to be distributed for non-profit purposes.

I am a great believer in the power of books to inspire.

---
If you had more money and time and wanted to do the idea properly, you could draw up a list of inspiring Aborigines and get them to write their own short story of their life and any tips they'd like to pass on to other Aborigines looking for a bit of inspiration.

Alternatively, you could do a DVD series of interviews.

Sorry, Dallee,

As I explained in the first post, this is a brain-storming thread, where everyone suspends their urge to knock other people's ideas, in the spirit of trying to generate some positive ideas.

People don't have to agree with the ideas, but it is unhelpful to criticise.

Could you please delete your posts - or perhaps maybe a moderator could do so if you don't know how.

Thanks Carol

Sorry, Dallee,

As I explained in the first post, this is a brain-storming thread, where everyone suspends their urge to knock other people's ideas, in the spirit of trying to generate some positive ideas.

People don't have to agree with the ideas, but it is unhelpful to criticise.

Could you please delete your posts - or perhaps maybe a moderator could do so if you don't know how.

Thanks Carol

Are you kidding? I was tempted to say that you sounded like a Nazi but I edited myself. It is quite dangerous to believe that people should not be critical. Im sorry but I find your line of thinking quite scary.

I wholly agree with grossreal's suggestion:
"one I like is to have the local community put up people to be trained in trades that they can use with the community or area that they are in."

Offers of tearing communities apart and schooling the children miles away from home smacks of exactly what our gov't is now apologising for.

Lets keep families and communities together where they want to be and help make those communities a success in todays world and not just forget about them in a few months time.

Building Indigenous Leadership...

Carol, I hear you...

Thought you might find this interesting reading Carol:

http://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/assets/contentFiles/BIL.pdf

It's about promoting the emotional and spiritual wellbeing of Koori communities through:

(Victorian) Koori Communities Leadership Program...

Goes through background info:

Factors influencing the wellbeing of Koori communities

Holistic approaches/responses

Koori leadership in national context (as well as other national/state programs)

Then into the program itself:

Themes

Projects

Key learnings etc

Future directions, sustainability outcomes...I have sort of "briefed" it all, there is much more..

and always nice:

Skills, knowledge, leadership, strengthen cultural identity/pride, determine their own future, community based culturally appropriate projects, making better life choices, develop leadership skills, helping indigenous youth empower themselves.....

I've employed somebody who appears to be part aboriginal. I don't know- I haven't asked.

It's not important to the job requirement.

She does a great job, and that's all I ask.

This is far more than an idea.....this is a concrete plan that was discussed, agreed between all parties, fully funded and supported.

Ideas are great only up to a point.....to follow through to the execution phase takes far more initiative and drive. That's the point we got to.....and beyond.

The company I work for is building a gas plant and gas pipeline, along with a jetty to bring energy ashore for use in the community and in Darwin.

As part of the deal the elders of the community insisted that the youth were employed and trained and educated. A school was built. Training facilities were built. Mentors and coaches were hired to assist. Everything that we obligated to do upfront was done.

The vast majority of the young adults in the local community were employed, numbering in the hundreds. There obligation was to learn and work.

Two conditions were imposed by my company.

1. Must be punctual and turn up for work every weekday.
2. Must pass an onsite drug and alcohol field test every morning prior to work.

All workers, including skilled expats from Bulgaria, Italy, UK, US, South Africa, China and Malaysia, along with a bunch of workers and labourers from Perth and Brissy must also comply with the above two conditions. No-one is special. Can't afford to be with safety at stake.

After six months, and numerous warnings about failing the above two criteria, less than 5 locals out of the hundreds employed remain on the job. They've mostly been sacked because they have not been able to turn up to work, or consistently fail the tests.

All of the expats, and the vast majority of the labourers from Perth and interstate are still with us.

Our company tried. Unfortunately, the massive effort (both time and cost and energy wise) put in was not reciprocated and / or appreciated.

Sigh!

How about we do a deal - just let the thread get to 50 positive practical ideas without the negativity, and then I'll start a new thread, list the 50 ideas and invite everyone to come in a shoot them down as much as you like!

It's just an Edward deBono Six Hats exercise - at the moment I'm just asking everyone to put on their white hats and come up with positive ideas. Then, once the ideas are in, you get to put on your black hats and be as negative as you wish.

What do you say, do you want to give it a shot?

Carol

Sigh!

How about we do a deal - just let the thread get to 50 positive practical ideas without the negativity, and then I'll start a new thread, list the 50 ideas and invite everyone to come in a shoot them down as much as you like!

It's just an Edward deBono Six Hats exercise - at the moment I'm just asking everyone to put on their white hats and come up with positive ideas. Then, once the ideas are in, you get to put on your black hats and be as negative as you wish.

What do you say, do you want to give it a shot?

Carol
Carol

I'm sorry about my response.

I've employed somebody who may or may not be aboriginal.

I didn't realise that was so bad .

Racial origin is not very high on my list of employment requiremnts.

Back