$5m cash to play with

:eek: @ the number of people here who would pay off loans! That's the last thing I'd do, although I might temporarily do the equivalent; Pay cash to build my townhouses instead of jumping through all the hoops of getting construction finance for them. That'd take about $1.5m tops.

• $1.5m - Build my (5) townhouses.
  • $1m - Currency trading account. I'm able to get 25% p.a. fairly easily these days just on AUD/USD market, but I need more cash to translate % into $.
  • $1.5m - Deposits to buy another two or three smallish development sites (3-5 townhouses each).
  • $1m - Buffer for aforementioned dev sites.
-Ian

:eek: @ the number of people here who would pay off loans! That's the last thing I'd do..........

Better to use the $5m for higher yielding investments and then use the cashflow to pay down loans. Same for charitable donations (use the cashflow not the capital).

Personally, I'm surprised at the number of people who'd still be looking at residential property investments.

Ok - lets have a look here. James I bet you are loving this thread (by the way - I am expecting your answer on here soon!):

My situation is a bit different from those above. Only the 1 property (dev block) and no PPOR, so lets see how we go.

My steps would be:

1. Quit job
2. Send parents on holiday ($50k)
3. Gift some money to my brother ($250k)
4. Go on a holiday to Europe - 6 months should do with the better half ($50k)
Total cost so far: $350k
5. Build Bendigo Development ($1.4m)
6. Keep all and rent (~$140k gross, min $100k net with a lot of depreciation)
7. Buy PPOR ($1.205m)
Total cost so far: $3m
(Ok, so I am pretty much set now. Over $100k coming in via the trust with 1/4 of that offset against depreciation - time to play).
8. $500k clear for SME venture capital
9. $500k for high yield shares - lots of options ~ 9% fully franked at the moment
10. $500k for charity fund - potentially buy some office space or the like and rent to charities for $1p.a + outgoings
11. $500k play money/rainy day money.

Basically look to about $150k income from shares and Bendigo (would have gone CIP route but would have resulted in CGT on Bendigo so less worth it - but is another option for lower maintenance). Increase in capital base will come from Bendigo and venture capital. Would most likely start my own business with play money and free time as well.

So there we go - would be quite nice. So James - when are you gifting me the $5m exactly?

Last edited:
Better to use the $5m for higher yielding investments and then use the cashflow to pay down loans. Same for charitable donations (use the cashflow not the capital).

Personally, I'm surprised at the number of people who'd still be looking at residential property investments.

I would expect that kind of answer on a property investment forum.

What sort of higher yielding investments would you invest in?

All that cashflow = lots of tax. What structures would you use to hold your investments to minimise tax?

$500,000 to start a business that I currently run for someone else.
$1500,000 into shares
$1000,000 into a rural property.
$1000,000 into regional development land.
$500,000 to develop above.
$500,000 cash buffer

Proceeds from business ,rural property and interest on cash can fund resi property purchases over the next few years .

Definetly not a plan for passive income but hey, you need to entertain yourself somehow.

RC

I would expect that kind of answer on a property investment forum.

What sort of higher yielding investments would you invest in?
So we should not look to high yielding investments, better to limit ourselves to low yielding investments ?
All that cashflow = lots of tax. What structures would you use to hold your investments to minimise tax?

So what are you going to do ? Keep accumulating forever so you never take an income and never pay tax ? You'll beat the tax man maybe, but what do you get form that point ?

Whataever one bought with the money, you would assume they would use what they determined to be asuitable tax and other effective structure for them nd their situation wouldn't you ? Surely there's more than one way ?...

I dont have much and injection of $5m would take me to $6.1m and $.65m in loans, just over 10-% LVR on $6m - I think thats better than I hope to actually accomplish ! So, what would I do, think about it and learn and invest based on the findings, how do I know now ? I guess I would not HAVE to work, wonder if I could swing a redundancy (I know, I just 'won' $5m, don't care, $100k is $100k :-D)

an inheritance.

I have a much smaller (but real rather than hypothetical) problem, I've just inherited some money (less than $100k) and intend to use it as a deposit on another IP...Is this the smartest thing to do???? I already have one IP, a PPOR and another rural house I own outright but dont rent yet cos its being renovated.

what do my fellow forumites think is my best course of action???

thanks

THe nubers will tell a story...

How well the storry suits where you want to get to should give you the answer.

You want a bit more of assetts, will it cost you to hold ? Do you care if this is so ? etc

Unfortunately with all the $300-$500,000pa incomes comes a hefty tax bill.

I'd gear into something ~60% but borrow the whole lot. Not that it can be done but we're all dreamin here.
So borrow $13mil I/O to purchase whatever paying 5%-7%pa.
Stick the $5mil into a 100% offset account and draw my $300-$500,000pa 'income' from the offset account tax free.
The income from investments will cover all interest and expenses with a little left over.

The idea would be to for increases in rent each year to cover the extra interest paid each year as a result of the diminishing $$ in the offset account.

Drawing $500,00pa tax free your $5mil would last 10 years, By that time your investment is worth double and yielding double what it was when you started leaving you in a better position.

I'd probably just buy the farm I'm currently part leasing when the 80 year old owners die. It would cost 7 million today though, and that includes a house that would be worth 1 million in replacement value.

But my wife wouldn't let me do that I reckon. If my wife got her way I'd have to buy a flash unit right on the beach at Burleigh Heads. So that'd be a million. Then I'd buy a 2 million lifestyle farm at Gloucester or thereabouts with frontage to the Barrington or Gloucester rivers, some mountain and rainforest and with a flash house or build a flash house.

Hmm. I need 10 million, then I could do the lot..????

See ya's.

Tax is a very relevant consideration.

With a margin loan on shares you can access some of the increase in equity (assuming an increase in equity happens) without realising the asset (and cgt expense) or receiving taxable income.

Interest payments on margin loan drawdowns for personal use won't be deductible though.

James I bet you are loving this thread (by the way - I am expecting your answer on here soon!)

Absolutely. I've enjoyed seeing how other people would use the funds and seeing some of the logic behind their answers. As always, for me, the HOW and the WHY are more important than the WHAT.

I'm not, really; 'tis a property forum, after all. That said, I don't think that small residential properties would be high on my shopping list, either.

For me it's all about lifestyle choice and hence a focus on low maintenance, passive income.

(snip)

Then mostly forget about the investments, get out and enjoy life as time is the most precious commodity we have.

And that's exactly why.

Lower priced / mid-range resi can be great during the accumulation phase. Leverage is beautiful (when the banks play nicely) and there are usually ways of boosting the returns by finding a property with a 'twist' to add value.

However, in the 'retirement' phase - which is precisely where $5m cash would place most of us - the hassles, tenants and low yields would not excite me a great deal. In fact, one of the first things that I would do is sell down (harvest, if you will) any low/middle-end residential property still on hand. Then for peace of mind, and long-term security, there would be no debts anywhere in my plan; existing debts paid in full and future purchases would indeed be from cash only. Just leaving the full $5m in the bank, however, would not suffice as the time/value of money would erode the balance and income too quickly; $5m may not be quite the sum in forty years, that it is today.

My thinking is that I would want investments that will provide, as a whole, two things for me and mine:

1. Passive income, and,
  2. Amusement.
Re the former. Dazz puts it best, I think; every man needs a shed. I'd be looking at circa $2.5m on that one. There's a large part of the passive income sorted.

The balance (minus say $250k for cash buffer) would be split between six or seven shares for dividend income and, more importantly, liquidity. Being able to draw down from those as needed for various projects will then satisfy the amusement.

I've always believed that boredom is simply a lack of imagination; I'm never bored.

Such projects could include active share trading, property development, a new business idea, a charity, private funding. Options are endless and having the funding quickly available is a beautiful notion. Being short-term projects would also mean they would be as regular or infrequent as I please, allowing for travel and other such pleasures without being tied down.

I'm also assuming that by this point, I would have moved on from my business (perhaps, the eventual sale of an accountancy practice is where the cash injection could come from in x years down the track). Otherwise, a significant amount of the funds would be placed there and continuing that business would be the first project, instead.

Meh. For various reasons, I would likely use a discretionary trust or two but really, tax would be the least of my concerns. It may be significant but it can be minimised and the franking credits will help somewhat. And when the whole idea is to create a lifestyle, worrying about how to avoid writing cheques to the ATO is a completely unnecessary stress.

Then, with all of the above in mind... does this match how you invest today? And if not, why not?

Ah, the money question :D.

Residential property and share trading are both tools, and the leveraged returns that they provide can accelerate that wealth creation process significantly. Any of us - and I know that many here already have - can invest our way to a $5m net worth. Having that amount of money hit the bank account (via whatever means) is not a massive goal and that's why I suggested such a low(ish?) figure, instead of something higher that would likely be just out of reach for most property investors.

So, am I currently investing in the way that I described my plan above?

Yes and no. Or; not quite, but there is progress.

There is no shed to speak of, yet, but a plan towards acquiring one. There is no seven-figure share portfolio, but the current holdings will continue to grow and should get there within a year or two. There are various projects off the ground already, while others are still just scribbles in my notepads to explore in more detail when the time comes. And, my business is growing beautifully and will keep me well amused for a long time to come yet.

All good fun, hey? :D

Pay myself first:

Buy new PPOR - $1,000,000
Buy new cars - $100,000

Pay someone else second:

Parents - holiday - $100,000 (probably Hungary, mother country)
Sibling - holiday - $100,000 (they would go on round the world)
Friends - holiday - $100,000 (F1 in Monaco - whoohoo!)
$100,000 term deposit for son's "college" fund, or apprenticeship fund, or whatever he chooses to do...

Give Mum and Dad $500000 in a term deposit (~6%) so they can semi-retire.

That leaves 3 million:

Pay off current IPs - $700,000 (steady "safety net" income)
Build a massive house on 29 acre block I already own - $600,000 (second summer house)
(Quit work and...) Create a new business from scratch - $1,000,000
$700,000 remainder in bank term deposit...

This would pretty much set me up for life. I would be one happy chappy...:D

Although saying that, I' a happy chappy now, but would be a "content" happy chappy...:)

it's pretty tough as $5m doesnt go far and you want to protect that capital. I think comm properties would be central to the plan tho, with the beach house up as security for the comm properties and the PPOR tucked away in a very safe entity.

I would be buying a business worth $10 mill with an LVR of 50%.

Probably nett around $750k t0 $1 mill per year from that as a minimum.

Live off about $200k of it, reinvest the rest back into the business loans, and do it again in a coupla years.

Last edited:
Back